U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:11 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,328,897 times

Advertisements

Wow thats pretty detailed! Awesome work

There's only one thing i would change, but that doesn't even matter its great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM

18,645 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Alot better. I like it. There is a couple things I would change but you can't get more accurate than that. Good Job.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,575,042 times
Great map - but a few points/questions:

Michigan is not in the Midwest? I know we're the "Great Lakes State," but not all of MI is an eastern/rust belt state. Three Rivers, MI is much more similar to Madison, WI than Syracuse, NY. The U.P. is definitely more Upper Midwest than (Eastern) Great Lakes. The vast majority of Michigan is very Midwestern.

Actually, I think the "Great Lakes region" should be divided into 3 different regions, kind of like how you did with Appalachia. Michigan (except the UP), Northern Indiana, Wisconsin south of Milwaukee, and Northern Ohio should be the Midwestern Great Lakes. Wisconsin north of Milwaukee, coastal Minnesota, and the UP of Michigan should be the Northern Great Lakes. Both of these should be subsets of the Midwest.

Erie, Pennsylvania and Western New York should be the Northeast Great Lakes, and a subset of the Northeast.

There is a LOT of variation within the Great Lakes (not to mention the Canadian side), and I certainly wouldn't say that Upstate NY has much in common with Minnesota.

The Great Plains should be a subset of the Midwest.

The South should extend a little farther north, into extreme southern OH, IN, IL, and MO.

Other than that, loos good!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,021,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
i have taken suggestions on the map and have updated it.

texas has been adjusted. california coastal regions have been added. great lakes region has been added. south west conneticut has been added to the mid atlantic. and various other lines have been adjusted slightly.

Looks sort of like the Old Farmers Almanac's regional weather map. From the areas I know, it has major errors re: culture, though.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,925,252 times
It looks good. You were really thorough with it this time.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,125,550 times
Southern Utah and Southeastern California should be in the Southwest. Appalachia doesn't extend that far south in Alabama or Mississippi or that far west in Tennessee. The Mid-Atlantic doesn't extend to the Canadian border. The South extends slightly farther south in inland Florida.

Other than that, no complaints.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 AM

50 posts, read 93,782 times
Really good job .

Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,634,544 times
Excellent map, well thought out.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:53 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,021,976 times
From what I know, the Midwestern portion (esp including the entire Great Lakes basin as a single cultural area) is not supported by linguistic or social studies.

Ditto for including Piedmont and Coastal Plain as a single unit in the South.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,094,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
i have taken suggestions on the map and have updated it.

texas has been adjusted. california coastal regions have been added. great lakes region has been added. south west conneticut has been added to the mid atlantic. and various other lines have been adjusted slightly.

Besides what the others have pointed out, I would only recommend two things, and they're possibly nit-picky. One, I would treat southern Missouri and northern Arkansas (the Ozarks) as a distinct region, with more in common with southern Appalachia than the South. Also, and again, this may just be nit-picky, what you have as Deep South on the coasts of East Texas and Louisiana are more Creole/Cajun than Southern. I would extend that line in about 100-200 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.