U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,172,633 times

Advertisements

Looking good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
The Mid-Atlantic doesn't extend to the Canadian border.
Agreed. The Mid-Atlantic region on this map seems to be intended to represent the urban Washington-NYC corridor, but this area is a lot different from sparsely populated upstate NY. Maybe combine the upper half of NY state that is now listed as Mid-Atlantic with New England and call it "New England-Adirondack" or make it its own region, although its culture is not that distinctive.

Also agree with the Michigan UP and most of the LP being classified as part of the Midwest.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 PM

871 posts, read 1,956,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Agreed. The Mid-Atlantic region on this map seems to be intended to represent the urban Washington-NYC corridor, but this area is a lot different from sparsely populated upstate NY. Maybe combine the upper half of NY state that is now listed as Mid-Atlantic with New England and call it "New England-Adirondack" or make it its own region, although its culture is not that distinctive.

Also agree with the Michigan UP and most of the LP being classified as part of the Midwest.
well the mid atlantic isn't that distinct of a culutral region. it usually just describe the general area between the northernmost southern-altanic region and new england.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Great map - but a few points/questions:
ok, i'll try to answer these best i can

Quote:
Michigan is not in the Midwest? I know we're the "Great Lakes State," but not all of MI is an eastern/rust belt state. Three Rivers, MI is much more similar to Madison, WI than Syracuse, NY. The U.P. is definitely more Upper Midwest than (Eastern) Great Lakes. The vast majority of Michigan is very Midwestern.
well, the midwest ends at ohio, most of the great lakes is the midwest. the rest of the great lakes is northeast great lakes, and starts at the ohio border.

Quote:
Actually, I think the "Great Lakes region" should be divided into 3 different regions, kind of like how you did with Appalachia. Michigan (except the UP), Northern Indiana, Wisconsin south of Milwaukee, and Northern Ohio should be the Midwestern Great Lakes. Wisconsin north of Milwaukee, coastal Minnesota, and the UP of Michigan should be the Northern Great Lakes. Both of these should be subsets of the Midwest.
i suppose i could have done this. if i decide to update yet again (doubt i will, but i might), i'll probably add something along these lines

Quote:
Erie, Pennsylvania and Western New York should be the Northeast Great Lakes, and a subset of the Northeast.
yeah, same answer as above

Quote:
There is a LOT of variation within the Great Lakes (not to mention the Canadian side), and I certainly wouldn't say that Upstate NY has much in common with Minnesota.
probably right, i thought that the ohio border is a good line

Quote:
The Great Plains should be a subset of the Midwest.
i would do that, but then northern texas would be the midwest, and that just sounds way off

Quote:
The South should extend a little farther north, into extreme southern OH, IN, IL, and MO.
trust me on this one, i would get way more criticism for including those areas as the south than i would for including them as the midwest. i debated that, but the overall consensus is that they are midwestern, with southern undertones. the midwestern is most prominent, so they are the midwest.

the ohio river has been the divider line for quite some time. the only reason the midwest spills into northern ky is because of cincinatti overflowing.

Quote:
Other than that, loos good!
ok, hope i adressed everything

Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Appalachia doesn't extend that far south in Alabama or Mississippi or that far west in Tennessee.
i got those dividing lines for that cultural region from these links:

the appalachian regional commision

national geographic

appalachian state university

they all had it going that far into those states. i think they're probably right

Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 PM

463 posts, read 1,367,470 times
I applaud this well-thought out map. There is very little I would change.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,015,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
ok, i'll try to answer these best i can

well, the midwest ends at ohio, most of the great lakes is the midwest. the rest of the great lakes is northeast great lakes, and starts at the ohio border.

i suppose i could have done this. if i decide to update yet again (doubt i will, but i might), i'll probably add something along these lines

yeah, same answer as above

probably right, i thought that the ohio border is a good line

i would do that, but then northern texas would be the midwest, and that just sounds way off

trust me on this one, i would get way more criticism for including those areas as the south than i would for including them as the midwest. i debated that, but the overall consensus is that they are midwestern, with southern undertones. the midwestern is most prominent, so they are the midwest.

the ohio river has been the divider line for quite some time. the only reason the midwest spills into northern ky is because of cincinatti overflowing.

ok, hope i adressed everything
I believe if you check with most linguists/culturalists, you'll find that the great dipthong shift is currently extending from the Mid-Atlantic and reaches its NW terminus in Milwaukee.That is indicative of a discrete cultural unit.

Being from N. Wisconsin, I can asure you that our SE corner is in a different cultural area, as the above shows.

Also, in the SE US, there are at least 3 discrete cultural areas:

Coastal, Piedmont, and Mtn. (e.g. "Appalaichia"). While the former has been innundated by outsiders to a > degree than have the other two parts, all 3 are each unique in terms of culture.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I believe if you check with most linguists/culturalists, you'll find that the great dipthong shift is currently extending from the Mid-Atlantic and reaches its NW terminus in Milwaukee.That is indicative of a discrete cultural unit.

Being from N. Wisconsin, I can asure you that our SE corner is in a different cultural area, as the above shows.
i'm not sure i know what you mean by all this. could you rephrase this into layman's terms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Also, in the SE US, there are at least 3 discrete cultural areas:

Coastal, Piedmont, and Mtn. (e.g. "Appalaichia"). While the former has been innundated by outsiders to a > degree than have the other two parts, all 3 are each unique in terms of culture.
well, i think of those as geological regions, not cultural regions. not all of the region of appalachia is in the mountains.

plus, the peidmont region is from new jersey to alabama, thats not a culutural region.

once past appalachia, there aren't significant changes (or not significant enough) cultural differences when traveling westbound in these states.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
you should blog this and throw it up... good stuff... I esp like the FL ... as I tell people how it is in the panhandle, and they assume I'm livin it up in what they imagine off watching CSI Miami.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,015,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
i'm not sure i know what you mean by all this. could you rephrase this into layman's terms?

well, i think of those as geological regions, not cultural regions. not all of the region of appalachia is in the mountains.

plus, the peidmont region is from new jersey to alabama, thats not a culutural region.

once past appalachia, there aren't significant changes (or not significant enough) cultural differences when traveling westbound in these states.
Northern Cities Shift@Everything2.com.

The NW terminus of this shift is the Milwaukee metro area. This shift line denotes a cultural region of its own.

As far as the Piedmont, Mtns, and Coastal Plain differences, Southern History explains that phenom, and volumes have been written about it.

Mainly, it has to do with the plantation system and the crops of rice and cotton (Long Staple). Here's an article which speaks to its effect on contemporary politics:
A South Carolina Primary Primer by Robert Jeffrey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.