U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 PM

63 posts, read 256,606 times
Default Ever heard of that book, 5 acres and Independence?

Well I haven't actually read that book but I've just been thinking about that type of lifestyle.
If you could go anywhere to try to achieve this type of life, where you try to do it? Where would be a good place? I mean, keeping in mind that we are not starting out from a wealthy position. So the place needs to be affordable. I think a long or at least pretty long growing season would be good. A concern of mine has always been water. Where does natural spring water occur abundantly? This being my concern I don't like Colorado for example because there isn't really any bodies of water and not much water underground. Same for Nevada, etc. etc.
I guess every person would have there own concerns. I would like to hear your concerns and why you would or wouldn't choose any particular area.
I've heard some people have concerns about for example wind patters in the case of nuclear fallout.
Where is the soil good? Maybe taxes should be a main concerns?
All 4 seasons? Too dry, too hot? Schools nearbye? Air quality? Offgrid possibilities? Gun laws? Natural disaster areas?
What ideas do you have for creating income? Farming, raising animals, art, welding, working on cars, selling preserves, online business, Whatever?
Where would it be ideal to attempt this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 16,019,219 times
Default I doubt it is 5 acres

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJohn View Post
Well I haven't actually read that book but I've just been thinking about that type of lifestyle.
If you could go anywhere to try to achieve this type of life, where you try to do it? Where would be a good place? I mean, keeping in mind that we are not starting out from a wealthy position. So the place needs to be affordable. I think a long or at least pretty long growing season would be good. A concern of mine has always been water. Where does natural spring water occur abundantly? This being my concern I don't like Colorado for example because there isn't really any bodies of water and not much water underground. Same for Nevada, etc. etc.
I guess every person would have there own concerns. I would like to hear your concerns and why you would or wouldn't choose any particular area.
I've heard some people have concerns about for example wind patters in the case of nuclear fallout.
Where is the soil good? Maybe taxes should be a main concerns?
All 4 seasons? Too dry, too hot? Schools nearbye? Air quality? Offgrid possibilities? Gun laws? Natural disaster areas?
What ideas do you have for creating income? Farming, raising animals, art, welding, working on cars, selling preserves, online business, Whatever?
Where would it be ideal to attempt this?
Think the original idea is 40 acres. You can not really be independent on 5 acres. The concept comes out Ohio in some ideal type way to live. Back somewhere in the depression or a tad after. I forget the exact details, but there were demo farms. Again in Ohio. Also forget the fellows name, it will come to me if I think about it. He or others wrote books about it.

Before that the concept was a fellow needed 160 acres. 40 acres probably comes from the idea that one person could farm it without mechanical devices.

Mother Earth News did sort of try to revive the concept around 5 acres. There was a demo place IIRC down on Cape Cod, MA. I doubt you can be completely self sustaining in many western states. Need something like TN, KY, OH, PA climates. Where you find the Amish or those type folks. OH, PA are prime. Even today, those have those type lifestyles for folks, non Amish. Taxes are part of it.

Just Web search for an idea w/Mother Earth News in the block. There are many, many articles over many years.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM

3,356 posts, read 4,336,114 times
my brother chose Arkansas for the same reasons you cite. Though, he does not live off the land, he works for the state. But he bought up a lot of land down a dirt road and built a brand new house for real cheap. They have livestock and they hunt and raise a lot of their own food and his wife even makes her own yogurt. They also have a lot of springs.

He is in northern Arkansas, the closest city is branson.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Just Web search for an idea w/Mother Earth News in the block. There are many, many articles over many years.
That's all good but I still wouldn't mind seeing a conversation with people who might be interested in this type of life and how or where they would do it ideally.

Appreciate the ideas though about what states you think would be good to do this in.
You said...
Need something like TN, KY, OH, PA climates. Where you find the Amish or those type folks. OH, PA are prime.

Is most of your reasoning for choosing these states affordability?
Between Oh and PA I'm thinking that due to taxes Ohio might be better?
Are the growing seasons pretty much equal that you are aware of?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 PM

If it helps any I'm also coming at this discussion from the point of view that I believe that TS will soon be HTF. Maybe not this year or next year but soon enough. It might be a good idea to have a few years of learning how to live this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.