U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like where you live?
absolutely - it's the closest thing to heaven on Earth. 33 37.08%
can't stand it - don't see why anyone would choose to move here. 19 21.35%
I'm ambivalent - it's okay, but I could be convinced to move. 37 41.57%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM

51 posts, read 122,969 times

Advertisements

After 20 years I've seen it all I guess, time to head out for something totally different in a couple of years!
US, Canada, Australia: I narrowed it down to those three in that order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,741,043 times
I love living in the Philadelphia metro area.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 AM

24 posts, read 116,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
it seems that a lot of us love to complain about where we live and wish we lived somewhere else - hence the reason we come here. So here's the poll: Do you like where you currently live?
no!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 AM

141 posts, read 303,786 times
Yes except for the cold weather. Christchurch suits my stage of life at the moment but cant see me retiring here.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,178,254 times
Los Angeles, California.

-Love the weather and entertainment. Looking at the girls on the beach in the winter...not bad!

But I know it's not considered "normal" here....the rest of the country is normal. No normal family life or "americanism", for lack of a better word.

I miss the culture and realness, you'd see in vermont or pennsylvania. There are worst places than la or california, but I wouldnt consider it ultimately satisfying.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:01 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,090,177 times
I don't actually hate where I live - in fact if money was not an issue, I could easily be a snowbird! The weather here in the summer is ok, but the winter.... I tend to mumble "I hate the cold, I hate the cold, I hate the cold..". It kind of sounds like a mantra but doesn't actually calm me!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 AM

30,178 posts, read 67,320,481 times
I can take or leave Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. I'm relocating shortly to another state that I hope will prove more fruitful to my career, and the dearth of a young LGBT scene in Northeastern Pennsylvania has certainly made me very lonesome. Granted Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is one of the most convenient metropolitan areas in the nation (2 hours to NYC, 2 hours to Philly, 3 hours to the beach, 3 hours to Baltimore, 3 hours to Hartford, 4 hours to DC, 4 hours to Providence, 4.5 hours to Pittsburgh, 5 hours to Boston, etc.), but I now realize that loving a mediocre area simply because it is near to other areas with better opportunities may not have been the best advice to have kept on telling myself.

At 22 I have the luxury of exploring a wide array of different states and cities, and fortunately my career path is still in high demand in many metropolitan areas. I'm going to move around quite frequently I do believe!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 AM

19,121 posts, read 26,671,610 times
I absolutely LOVE where I live. For right now, it's exactly where I want to be, but eventually I'd love to move back to Germany, because that's truly home for me.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,501,560 times
The DC/MD region: efffin hate it!
-Epitomizes the cutthroat atmosphere that stresses ass-kissing and inside connections just to get an internship
-intentionally rude individuals (I'm not referencing about the too busy to say "hi" kind - those are Northern Virginians)
-Too much class division, and neither side can't be sympathized (privileged yuppies who define snobbishness and elitism, and a bitter underclass who spew jealousy if someone from "their own" does something to improve their life)
-Liberal, but in all of the negative ways (nanny/welfare, Government-encroaching, high-tax, anti-Christian, etc) but none of the positive ways (concern over the well-being and physical/mental/emotional health of others, the stand on truly improving race relations and promoting genuine integration, air pollution due to outdated mass transit patterns)
-To many damn Northeastern transplants who reflect the "Northeastern Stereotype." Why couldn't it at least be like Austin or Phoenix where the transplants are from more laid-back states

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 04-03-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 PM

893 posts, read 2,517,916 times
I think I'm starting to love the NYC metro area. But I need to live somewhere else to really decide if this place is worth coming back to.

So next year I'm going to college in Albany, NY. Lets see what happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or