U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,915,669 times

Advertisements

As for me, the last time I went to Florida it was to see relatives in Broward County. I was suprised myself, how much I like the newer parts of Davie, Plantation and especially a beautiful city called Weston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 PM

294 posts, read 684,530 times
Yes, Dallas! I prejudged it somewhat negatively mostly because of what some were saying on these boards. I was expecting it to devoid of everything. Surprise, surprise! When I came out to do an extensive visit I found it to be much more liveable, likeable, urban, greener, tree covered, friendly than the opinions of many city-data posters.
Phoenix also gets a very bad rap over here and I found it was a beautiful place with the mountains and deserts IMO.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:44 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
Elizabethtown, KY- I thought it would be extremely rural. I was surprised at how surburban it was. Very clean also.

Washington, DC- I thought it was a clean safe city. I got that impression when i went to the White House in HS. I went to another part of the city and drove around it once and headed on my horse back to the Capital Beltway, it was that bad.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,337,426 times
Before I first visited Detroit back in '03, it was always on my list of cities to visit. But I had no clue the city was like....that. I almost wanted to turn around just as soon as we got into downtown.

I didn't know that downtown LA was going to be dead after hours, but I still had fun; there are too many other options for fun in the area, so it really wasn't that disappointing.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:52 PM

210 posts, read 770,370 times
^^^ LOL Downtown Detroit is actually not so bad. It is one of the lower crime rated areas of the city. SUrburban Detroit is also wonderful.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,055,624 times
I thought I would like Coeur d'Alene more than I did. I was expecting a rugged western town, but instead it was upscale with a lot of boutiques.

Cheyenne exceeded my expectations. I didn't think I would like the place but it was a nice city when I visited.

Savannah exceeded my expectations as well. I was expecting the city to be nice, but I was still surprised at how nice it was.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 AM

5,086 posts, read 4,115,220 times
I have the opposite experience. I have been to cities that people over-rated.

Boston: This was probably the biggest let down. I found the city to be generic in parts, and boring. The city has a blue collar vibe, which I also was not expecting. It is not my least favorite city by a long shot, but definitely not what it was made out to be.

Indianapolis: I expected a very urban, large Midwestern city which it was not. The city was blighted in many areas downtown, had a much smaller downtown than I was expecting, more in the class of Chattanooga or Oklahoma City rather than its peer group. The city was bland, and becomes rural quickly outside of the core area. Some people were insular, and trashy looking as well.

Memphis: I just have to leave things unsaid.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM

406 posts, read 289,602 times
Im going to also say Phoenix surprised me. I expected the scorching heat, boring topography and sub-par food. I was totally wrong. Obviously I didn't visit every corner of the city but the areas I was in were beautiful. Also found the sunsets to be outstanding.

Charleston also surprised me. Great great food, awesome bar scene, nice people, and the beaches in the surrounding area were very nice.

On the other hand, I was disappointed by Miami a little bit. Seemed very very superficial, and the bad areas seemed BAD, like third-world bad. However I will say the nice areas are beautiful, the food is great, and the people are very very attractive.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM

956 posts, read 1,776,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I have the opposite experience. I have been to cities that people over-rated.

Indianapolis: I expected a very urban, large Midwestern city which it was not. The city was blighted in many areas downtown, had a much smaller downtown than I was expecting, more in the class of Chattanooga or Oklahoma City rather than its peer group. The city was bland, and becomes rural quickly outside of the core area. Some people were insular, and trashy looking as well.
I very, very strongly disagree Indianapolis is bland, myself. I have a feeling you probably missed some of the more interesting neighborhoods of that city, such as the neighborhoods from Herron Morton to north where Butler University is. Also, Irvington is worth checking out on the east side of Indianapolis, and is a very nice neighborhood. As for blight, what bigger city in the US doesn't have at least some parts that are blighted? Maybe like Madison or Ann Arbor, but I can't think of many cities that doesn't have at least a few areas with at least some signs of blight. And those are more like college towns, where blighted areas aren't as common. Sure the limited amount of blight in say Madison won't hold a candle to the amount of blight that one may see in Chicago or Indy, but of course there wouldn't be as much blight since Madison and Ann Arbor are smaller cities. Finally, I've encountered at least some ignorant people in virtually all places I've traveled to. Including sadly some blacks that were reverse racist, against whites in certain Chicago south side neighborhoods.

Visit any of the more interesting parts of Indy, and don't forget to also visit the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the Eiteljorg Museum when you're there next time. Indy has a lot of good restaurants and bars too, the list goes on and on. Yats, Shapiro's Deli, Saint Elmo Steak House, list goes on and on. Sure Indy isn't say like Chicago or NYC for # of restaurants and bars it has, but it wouldn't be fair to compare Indy to a bigger city like that. I feel it's a fine city for its smaller size, and I'd for sure put it in a higher tier of a city/metro area than say Chattanooga. In fact(never mind I haven't been to OKC and just Indy, and I'll leave it to others who've visited both to answer this inevitable comparison question), I'd assume Indy would probably have more things to do than Oklahoma City. Well, too many C-D posters have never appreciated Indy anyway sadly to say, and this post sadly proves the false stereotype that Indy sucks, when it does NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Kev View Post
I was surprised when I visited Indianapolis indiana. There's so many monuments downtown it shocked me. The soldiers&sailor monument downtown was impressive and remind me of something you'd see in Europe. There was a nice canal downtown surrounded with upscale apartments,IMAX,the NCAA HQ and hall of champions museum,a 4 level shopping mall and tons of restaurants and bars. The other amazing thing is everything all over downtown is connected with walking and bike lanes. Horse and buggies and bike rentals all over downtown
Thank you! I'm glad you appreciate Indy for the decent city it is, of its smaller size. Glad not everybody on C-D is ignorant of how Indianapolis is truly like. I'm sure if more of the people posting ignorant things about Indy spent more time there, and even explored its neighborhoods(i.e. Chatham-Arch, Herron Morton, Meridian-Kessler, and on the east side Irvington is worth checking out), they'd put away those negative stereotypes and appreciated Indy for how it is.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,238,241 times
Good surprises:

Cleveland, nicer than I thought in the downtown area, and bigger. My expectations initially weren't all that great.
Detroit, nicer downtown area than expected, and interesting. While the outer ring leaves much to be desired, the suburbs are also pretty nice.
Sioux Falls, SD, not knowing what to expect, but it was nicer anyways
Chattanooga Tenn, Nicer than expected.
San Luis Obispo, CA, thought it would be nothing, but nice town
St. Louis, MO, much better than its reputation

Bad surprises:

Baltimore
- Way worse outside of the inner harbor than I thought or prepared for
Trenton-For a state capital of an affluent state, pretty disappointing and run down
Memphis- Down right scary at night downtown where I stayed for work
San Francisco, CA- Great reputation, but a lot of homeless and not that clean.
Galveston, TX- Not sure what I was expecting, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or