U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 AM

976 posts, read 1,878,702 times

Advertisements

if you go by city population alone, then el paso, tx is a bigger city than boston. in other words, city population means absolutely nothing in our contemporary metropolitan society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 AM

3,074 posts, read 5,447,836 times
To me...

large city = 500,000 or more
medium city = 100,000 to 499,000
small city = 25,000 to 99,000
large town = 10,000 to 24,999
small town = 1,000 to 10,000
village = 1,000 or less

This probably has something to do with my Michigan upbringing. Most of the people that I know tend to view things this way.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM

884 posts, read 1,522,962 times
It's all relative. Casper, WY and Great Falls, MT I would both consider small cities, both have populations around 60K. If these cities were in Pennsylvania or Florida, they would be downgraded because Allentown and Tallahassee are seen as small cities, which have twice (or more) of Casper's and Great Falls' populations. Since the latter are located in remote areas, their status is raised. However only a little bit.

I would consider Las Vegas a large city, but if it were in the Northeast and compared to a city of similar size, it may end up falling under medium city.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,001,079 times
Mega: NYC, Chicago, LA (over 9Mil Metro)
Large:Phila, Houston, Dallas, Washington, Detroit, Boston, San Francisco, Miami, Atlanta (4.5-9Mil)
Major: Phoenix, Seattle, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Denver... (2-4.5Mil)
Medium: Richmond, Birmingham, Buffalo, Oklahoma City, Raleigh...(1-2Mil)
Small: Syracuse, Harrisburg, Trenton, Wichita, Youngstown, Poughkeepsie...(.3-1Mil)

Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 778,379 times
In a global standpoint NYC and LA are large cities
Chicago is a Medium Sized City
New Orleans is a small city.
I remember Steven Colbert referring to Chicago on the Colbert Report as a medium sized city :P

Again in a global sense our large cities besides NYC which is much larger than the next two biggest cities here are fairly small.

Chicago is something like the 26th largest city in the world I think NYC is top 5 and our smaller cities are not anywhere up there.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,047,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
In a global standpoint NYC and LA are large cities
Chicago is a Medium Sized City
New Orleans is a small city.
I remember Steven Colbert referring to Chicago on the Colbert Report as a medium sized city :P

Again in a global sense our large cities besides NYC which is much larger than the next two biggest cities here are fairly small.

Chicago is something like the 26th largest city in the world I think NYC is top 5 and our smaller cities are not anywhere up there.
That's a good point but I was mainly referencing cities from a US perspective.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,888,606 times
You can not define how small or big a city. You can only compare each city from one another. Sacramento would be the largest city in many states, but in California LA is known as the large city. The real question should be what do you consider a major city? I would say any city with over 500,000 population is a major city. This would mean i am not including cities such as Pittsburgh but even Pittsburgh is not a major city to me because it doesnt have a million people in its metro.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
You can not define how small or big a city. You can only compare each city from one another. Sacramento would be the largest city in many states, but in California LA is known as the large city. The real question should be what do you consider a major city? I would say any city with over 500,000 population is a major city. This would mean i am not including cities such as Pittsburgh but even Pittsburgh is not a major city to me because it doesnt have a million people in its metro.
To an extent I see your point. But I have a few disagreements. You're absolutely right in that its hard to compare cities. That's why you have to compare them where the same measurement is used. Such as urban areas, MSAs, GDP, F500 companies, building over 90 meters, etc. Comparing arbitrary city limit population stats is not good because of various reasons a city is a certain size based on state mandates.

For example allow me to compare Greensboro in NC and Greenville in SC. Greensboro has a city population of over 200k. Whereas Greenville has a city population of around 40k. So is Greensboro bigger? Not so fast. Greensboro urban area is 260k, and Greenville urban area is around 350k? So is Greenville bigger? Not so fast again. Greensboro GDP is around 33 billion and Greenville's GDP is around 25 billion. It's all a matter of what is being measured.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 PM

976 posts, read 1,878,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
you're absolutely right about pittsburgh not having a million people in its metro. it actually has 2.35 million people in its metro.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you're absolutely right about pittsburgh not having a million people in its metro. it actually has 2.35 million people in its metro.
Good catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or