U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:44 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,899,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post

500K to 1mil - large: San Fran, DC, Boston, Vegas, LA, NYC, Phili, Chicago

250K to 500K - medium: Sacramento, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Omaha

under 250K - small: Beaumont, Boise, Birmingham, Jackson, Reno, Akron
I think this is most accurate. Urban is considered dense neighborhoods or a downtown area with people living in multi-story apartment or lofts.

Urban can also be suburban. Less than 1,000 ppl per square mile is rural.

Also, would San Diego and San Jose be considered major cities outside of California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,037,842 times
I have to go by metro areas or combined statistical areas.

5 million and up = 1st tier major cities
2 million to 4.9 million = 2nd tier major cities
1 million to 1.9 million = 3rd tier major cities
600,000 to 999,000 = Large cities
200,000 to 599,000 = medium sized cities
50,000-100,000 = small cities

Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,157,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Large Cities-Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland, Baltimore, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Seattle, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Minneapolis.

Medium cities-Indianapolis, Milwaukee, San Antonio,Kansas City,Columbus, Toledo, Austin, Charlotte, Memphis, Nashville, Honolulu, Newark, Jersey City, Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, Fresno, Bakersfield, Wichita, Akron, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Raliegh, El Paso, Salt Lake City ect.

Small cities-Pueblo, Springfield Illinois, Springfield Massachusetts, Worcester, Manchester, Cheyenne, Topeka, Dayton, Wichita Falls, Santa Fe, Harrisburg, Scranton, Charleston, Tacoma, Boise, Chattanooga, Clarksville, Columbia Missouri, Columbia South Carolina, ect.
I dont agree with your medium classification. Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, Charlotte, Austin are defiantly large cities/metros these days. They all have metros close to the size of Cincinnati which you list as large.

I think you are defining your list "as large = city you hear of in the media the most or the most recognition". Lumping a place like Indianapolis or Columbus with Akron makes little sense. If anything you should break your medium cities into two groups.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:19 AM

500 posts, read 680,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I dont agree with your medium classification. Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, Charlotte, Austin are defiantly large cities/metros these days. They all have metros close to the size of Cincinnati which you list as large.

I think you are defining your list "as large = city you hear of in the media the most or the most recognition". Lumping a place like Indianapolis or Columbus with Akron makes little sense. If anything you should break your medium cities into two groups.
I would agree and add San Antonio to your list.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,565,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
Again in a global sense our large cities besides NYC which is much larger than the next two biggest cities here are fairly small.
Keep in mind that some of those 3rd world cities with 20 or 30 million people might have 10 people living in a one room apartment without water or electric (or on the street for that matter) with out the infrastructure of American cities.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:33 PM

12 posts, read 18,942 times
I come from southern oregon,i live in the center of southern oregon. Which isn't all that big. The city i live in is about 75,000 people. but the metro is around 220,000. I think its more about metro. The city i live in is in a valley. we can't really move any more outwards because of surrounding cities.. so lots of the pop. comes from the smaller metro cities(there all under like 25k).

Old 08-29-2014, 11:04 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,976,577 times
Reviving an old thread!!!

I went by metro population because a lot of people from the surrounding area usually relate to that city when then tell somebody from another area where they are from. It is easier to say you're from Chicago than Orland Park, LA than Oxnard, and it can be said of most suburbs near a large city.

It gets complex because their are subtle changes within the smallest decrease/increase of population.

XXX-Large (10+ million): NYC & LA;
XX-Large (5-10 million): Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philly, DC, Miami, Atlanta;
X-Large (2-5 million): Boston, San Francisco, Phoenix, Detroit, Seattle, Twin Cities, San Diego, Denver, etc…;
Large (800k-2 million): Austin, Indy, Nashville, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Honolulu, Albuquerque, Omaha, etc…;
Medium-Large (400k-800k): Little Rock, Charleston, Des Moines, Spokane, Asheville, etc…;
Medium (200k-400k): Peoria, Ann Arbor, Eugene, Boulder, etc…;
Small (100K-200k):Saginaw, Redding, Souix City, etc...;
X-Small (50K-100k)ubuque, Grand Island, Walla Walla:…;
XX-Small (<50k)...

Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
The way I've always understood it, any city with a million or more in the city-proper is considered large. NYC, L.A., Chicago, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas... in that order.

Medium would be the 500K to one million range. That would be 24 cities in America, ranging in size from San Jose down to Fresno.

Small, as I have always understood at least, is anything in the 200K to 500K range, from Sacramento down to Shreveport. Anything smaller than 200K but larger than 50K can also be considered a city, but a very small city.

Of course this doesn't take into account other factors that can distort one's perception of how big or small a certain city feels or looks, such as MSA's, density, and urban agglomerations. For example, Miami-proper is only a little over 400K, but is considered a big city due to it's MSA and urban agglomeration. Similarly, Atlanta is roughly 450K with a metro exceeding 5 million.

On the other end of that spectrum there are cities with larger populations that seem smaller than they appear on paper, for the same reasons. San Antonio, El Paso, and Jacksonville all come to mind here.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,499,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
The way I've always understood it, any city with a million or more in the city-proper is considered large. NYC, L.A., Chicago, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas... in that order.

Medium would be the 500K to one million range. That would be 24 cities in America, ranging in size from San Jose down to Fresno.

Small, as I have always understood at least, is anything in the 200K to 500K range, from Sacramento down to Shreveport. Anything smaller than 200K but larger than 50K can also be considered a city, but a very small city.

Of course this doesn't take into account other factors that can distort one's perception of how big or small a certain city feels or looks, such as MSA's, density, and urban agglomerations. For example, Miami-proper is only a little over 400K, but is considered a big city due to it's MSA and urban agglomeration. Similarly, Atlanta is roughly 450K with a metro exceeding 5 million.

On the other end of that spectrum there are cities with larger populations that seem smaller than they appear on paper, for the same reasons. San Antonio, El Paso, and Jacksonville all come to mind here.
I agree, I've always thought Urban population was the best judge for a cities size. Some states don't have a single portion of land that isn't incorporated. Specifically in the Northeast, CT, NY, NJ ect, and the Midwest. The cities in these places are older and have tiny foot prints. Where as states in the south and west tend to have less redundant administrative divisions and the cities in those regions can annex at will, and quite a few of them have giant foot prints. Oklahoma City could annex the entire state of Oklahoma making it the 3rd largest city in the country on paper. But noone would argue that it's larger than Chicago that would be insane. Point being using city proper to judge how big a city is, is misleading. There are times when using metro area can be misleading as well, although it is still a better gauge than the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or