U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is thought of most in the international community?
California 40 63.49%
Florida 2 3.17%
Illinois 1 1.59%
New York 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM

34,671 posts, read 33,671,635 times

Advertisements

You mean like when Sean Penn visits Hugo Chavez in Venezuela and Iran and Michael Moore sucks up in Cuba and Madonna, Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow live overseas and old Jane Fonda visits her buds and it all makes the news reports? I'd have to go with Hollywood and California, despite the UN being in NYC. I don't hear "Buffalo" or "Poughkeepsie" or "Lake Ronkonkoma" or "Yonkers" and think "international exposure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,827,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That last sentence could be said about NY. California has more Asians, but I would think it would be close to even in terms of Central and South Americans(Mexicans is another story), with NY having more African immigrants.
I think its very close between New York and California.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 PM

463 posts, read 1,367,470 times
California as a state, but New York City in itself almost matches it.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:28 AM

7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Default California

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_All_Dayy View Post
What state gets all the spotlight when someone out of our country thinks of the U.S ?

California.
I agree, probably California. Although your poll does not show it, I think Florida is not very far behind. BIG tourist area for Europe and Latin America, plus the Miami area is a banking and economic center/haven/refugee for wealthy Latin Americans. As for New York and Illinois they are more known for the cities than the states, unfortunately.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Many people over seas dont even know New York is a state. California is number one than Florida than maybe New York but probably Texas. When people say New York they think NYC not the state. What else is famous in the state besides for NYC and Niagra Falls? Nothing. California is known all throughout Latin America and you have LA, San Diego, San Francisco. Florida is famous for its beaches and Miami and Orlando are two very popular international vacation spots.
New York State is not as well known internationally and is of course overshadowed by NYC. However if you cruise the net you will find references to upstate NY from Europeans especially from the British. I have found tour guides for New England which spend more time in upstate NY than they do in New England itself. Also upstate is a major tourist area for Canadians.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Texas is very well known internationally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I have a hard time believing that Texas is #10 in international recognition. I think it should be in the top 5. From my travels in Europe, there were very few people that hadn't heard of Texas. Its stereotypical cowboy culture is known around the world. In fact, of the British people I spoke to, many had heard of Lubbock. (It turns out they're big Buddy Holly fans.)
You are right, in REALITY its not #10 in international recognition and it SHOULD be in the TOP 5. That list includes people's opinions and they are still downrating Texas because of PC nonsense (anti-Bush). People are entitled to their opinions about Bush but they should not be sterotyping an entire state of 20 million for one man.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:06 PM

56,529 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You mean like when Sean Penn visits Hugo Chavez in Venezuela and Iran and Michael Moore sucks up in Cuba and Madonna, Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow live overseas and old Jane Fonda visits her buds and it all makes the news reports? I'd have to go with Hollywood and California, despite the UN being in NYC. I don't hear "Buffalo" or "Poughkeepsie" or "Lake Ronkonkoma" or "Yonkers" and think "international exposure."
That would be like saying "Fresno", "Sacramento", "San Bernandino" or "Stockton" and thinking "international exposure". You have to put it into perspective.

Also, we have some colleges and universities in Upstate NY that have quite a few international students like Syracuse University, Cornell University, SUNY-Binghamton, Colgate University and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:25 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_All_Dayy View Post
What state gets all the spotlight when someone out of our country thinks of the U.S ?

California.
You put FL,CA,AND NY and randomly skip over TX and put IL????

Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,726,808 times
Hollywood is one of the few industries in the U.S. where we export more than we import. Many people in the world believe they know cities like NYC largely because of Hollywood produced shows like Friends and Seinfeld that are syndicated in their countries. Music is same, although not to the same extent.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,188,103 times
New York, then California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or