Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 PM

147 posts, read 690,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I certainly would not caterogize Las Vegas as a "Retirement" community. In addition to this, Las Vegas has a large downtown and massive projects are underway there as I speak. It will soon be a real "Showplace", just as the strip is now. And as far as the next top 20 list is concerned, I don't believe Memphis will be a player. That place is about as dried up as detroit is.
not really a large downtown in my eyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:53 PM

57 posts, read 185,033 times
id say indianapolis has some chance, it has culture around the center of downtown, especially around the circle center part. and its suburbs are growing at a steady pace.

Denver, Kansas City, Seattle, and i think that the Twin Cities have a big chance too.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:24 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
I love how everyone keep throwing Austin in the mix what does Austin have? My city San Antonio is the same thing only bigger. (sprawl issues, population and job growth, same climate, same traffic issues) So direct me on how Austin will some how eclipse San Antonio I would say they will grow together and be one large metro but world class that is far off.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
Here is the 2007 list:

Cities
Cities with five or more FORTUNE 500 headquarters.
City State Number of FORTUNE 500 companies
New York New York 45
Houston Texas 22
Atlanta Georgia 12
Chicago Illinois 11
Dallas Texas 11
Minneapolis Minnesota 8
Philadelphia Pennsylvania 8
Charlotte North Carolina 7
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 7
St. Louis Missouri 7
Cincinnati Ohio 6
Milwaukee Wisconsin 6
Seattle Washington 6
Cleveland Ohio 5
Columbus Ohio 5
Fort Worth Texas 5
Los Angeles California 5
Omaha Nebraska 5
Richmond Virginia 5
San Antonio Texas 5
San Francisco California 5

FORTUNE 500 2007: Cities

San Antonio has 6 now with NUSTAR.>

Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM

117 posts, read 449,883 times
A few of you guys mentioned the Charlotte and Raleigh areas of North Carolina and I'd have to agree...I don't think people realize what's goin on around here!! It's pure craziness how many people are moving to this area!! Have you checked how many threads there are in North Carolina compared to everywhere else?? I can't wait to see what will happen in the next 10 years or so...I sure as hell hope that it will bring more great things to the city...like a Zoo and an aquarium would be nice...you can't really be world class city without at least having those right?? And hopefully a lot more independent shops and resturaunts...but it's got a lot to offer, I think.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 PM

40 posts, read 154,102 times
Atlanta and Seattle are allready world class cities and will continue to thrive. Denver is well on its way up as well. Los Vegas is the next great city of the west and I would be suprised if its popolation topped 1 million by 2030. Charlotte is the next great city of the east coast. The large influx of people from the northeast will continue. Many say its the next Atlanta and I agree in another 10 or 15 yrs it will be. Other mid-sized cities have potential like ABQ or Memphis.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:27 AM

117 posts, read 449,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
Atlanta and Seattle are allready world class cities and will continue to thrive. Denver is well on its way up as well. Los Vegas is the next great city of the west and I would be suprised if its popolation topped 1 million by 2030. Charlotte is the next great city of the east coast. The large influx of people from the northeast will continue. Many say its the next Atlanta and I agree in another 10 or 15 yrs it will be. Other mid-sized cities have potential like ABQ or Memphis.
yeah...I agree with this too.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
I agree with everyone about the west, including the likes of cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, etc.

Unless the water crisis currently beginning to accelerate reaches any solution (which I don't believe will happen), I believe the west will rapidly begin to shrink, while the Northeast and Midwest will begin to boom again.

But this won't happen probably for another 50 - 60 years. Until then, I do believe the western cities will retain their prominence as the fastest and most popular destinations in the country.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:52 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
Im sorry, but Atlanta, Seattle, or Denver are not World Class cities. the US only has 3: NY, LA, and Chicago. These cities are more like 2nd or 3rd teir world cities

Old 12-17-2007, 11:05 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Im sorry, but Atlanta, Seattle, or Denver are not World Class cities. the US only has 3: NY, LA, and Chicago. These cities are more like 2nd or 3rd teir world cities
Well, actually Billiam, according to this source, the U.S. has far more than just three world class cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.