U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:54 PM

54 posts, read 204,865 times

Advertisements

Pay no mind to the posts made by Steve-o regarding the southwest.
He has some serious hate issues with Phoenix. You should see his posts in the Phoenix forum. It's the same crap over and over. He can keep his cold wasteland Chicago.
Something truley horrible must have happened to him in Phoenix. I think he regards his posts on Phoenix more as fact than opinions.

Man, is that dude a hater! I bet it's impossible for him not to post a reply in a thread that has the word Phoenix in it.
What a douche bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 PM

74 posts, read 297,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I love how everyone keep throwing Austin in the mix what does Austin have? My city San Antonio is the same thing only bigger. (sprawl issues, population and job growth, same climate, same traffic issues) So direct me on how Austin will some how eclipse San Antonio I would say they will grow together and be one large metro but world class that is far off.
Well I must say that I really, really hope that the two cities never merge to form a mega metro area. That would be disgusting and only further our states image of messy sprawl, endless stip malls and wasted enviroment. Anyway, I absolutely adore San Antonio. Love that place to pieces and could move there any second. It is overshadowed by Austin because Austin has a new wave liberal image to it that makes it unique in Texas against all the conservative metros (Houston, Dallas). Its just image though, Austin really isnt all that special. Just some hippies who smoke pot, trip shrooms and listen to live bands like many of us ... except they are really loud and in your face about you knowing how "different" and "wierd" they are. San Antonio is simply to sedate and carefree to subscribe to such brash self promotion.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:36 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,209,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Pay no mind to the posts made by Steve-o regarding the southwest.
He has some serious hate issues with Phoenix. You should see his posts in the Phoenix forum. It's the same crap over and over. He can keep his cold wasteland Chicago.
Something truley horrible must have happened to him in Phoenix. I think he regards his posts on Phoenix more as fact than opinions.

Man, is that dude a hater! I bet it's impossible for him not to post a reply in a thread that has the word Phoenix in it.
What a douche bag.
I agree that something awful must have happened to him in Phoenix because I have never seen someone with so much hate towards an entire region. Seriously, everytime Phoenix or Las Vegas is so much as mentioned in a thread, Steve-o is always right there, talking about how they're not real cities, just "big suburbs". How there's so much more culture in the cold northern cities. How the new sunbelt cities are hell on earth. Blah, blah blah, it gets incredibly old.

The funny thing is, I bet way back when the 13 colonies were originally being settled, people in England probably degraded them in much the same way Steve-o bashes the sunbelt. They were probably saying, "How could these new cities like New York, Philadelphia, or Boston (yuck!) possibly ever have the "art or culture" of London or Paris?"

Old 12-17-2007, 07:12 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,271,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbarto150 View Post
Well I must say that I really, really hope that the two cities never merge to form a mega metro area. That would be disgusting and only further our states image of messy sprawl, endless stip malls and wasted enviroment. Anyway, I absolutely adore San Antonio. Love that place to pieces and could move there any second. It is overshadowed by Austin because Austin has a new wave liberal image to it that makes it unique in Texas against all the conservative metros (Houston, Dallas). Its just image though, Austin really isnt all that special. Just some hippies who smoke pot, trip shrooms and listen to live bands like many of us ... except they are really loud and in your face about you knowing how "different" and "wierd" they are. San Antonio is simply to sedate and carefree to subscribe to such brash self promotion.
Overshadowed? It may be somewhat more liberal, but in no way overshadows.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 PM

74 posts, read 297,970 times
I disagree, while the two are probably eqaully well known, Austin seems to be much more in favor as both a tourist and living destination at the current moment. Its image for being hip and green is much more succesfull as an out of state magnet than SA's hispanic and theme park oriented image which is mainly tourist targeted. They are both funky, off beat places (SA even moreso than Austin) with great culture and atmosphere, but Austin just sticks out more as a beacon of blue in a mostly red state which is really appealing in the times of George Dumbya Bush.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 AM

54 posts, read 204,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I agree that something awful must have happened to him in Phoenix because I have never seen someone with so much hate towards an entire region. Seriously, everytime Phoenix or Las Vegas is so much as mentioned in a thread, Steve-o is always right there, talking about how they're not real cities, just "big suburbs". How there's so much more culture in the cold northern cities. How the new sunbelt cities are hell on earth. Blah, blah blah, it gets incredibly old.

The funny thing is, I bet way back when the 13 colonies were originally being settled, people in England probably degraded them in much the same way Steve-o bashes the sunbelt. They were probably saying, "How could these new cities like New York, Philadelphia, or Boston (yuck!) possibly ever have the "art or culture" of London or Paris?"
Yeah! And now go look in the thread about cities that should be put in their place...
Several cities are mentioned various times. Phoenix is never mentioned until page 3 and it's a post by............................Steve-o

The dudes insane.
When I started reading the thread I said to myself, I bet that steve guy has a post about Phoenix in here... f'ing hilarious, man!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM

913 posts, read 2,892,205 times
[quote=mr2007;508510]From 1776 through 1999, the following cities (areas) were -- in my opinion -- the predominant urban areas in the United States of America in terms of commerce, culture, social activities, music, arts, sciences and politics (in no particular order):

1) New York Will still be there next 20 years...
2) Philadelphia depends how the mayor doing his job
3) Chicago
4) Los Angeles LA is so yesterday
5) Detroit Same here unless Ford/GM make a comeback
6) Boston always be there!
7) Washington D.C. unless the prez decided to move out of town..
8) San Francisco careless about them
9) Texas (Dallas & Houston) hmm...
10) Miami overcrowded

Although I still feel that each one of these cities will continue to play major roles in the American scene (and always will), I would like to offer my projection regarding what the "NEXT" 10 major, influential urban growth and development areas will be for the next 100 years or more -- the 21st Century:

1) Phoenix maybe...
2) Atlanta has the potential...the infrastructure is there ...
3) North Carolina (Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham) nope...there is no existing infrastructure -rails, transportation is bad there...next 10 years? ..nah maybe the environment study..
4) Las Vegas never!
5) Orlando no along Jeb is there hah
6) Seattle Yes..they will be
7) Austin TX maybe
8) Nashville nope
9) Denver hard to tell....no port
10) Anaheim / Orange County CA nah

QUOTE]

Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,324,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well, actually Billiam, according to this source, the U.S. has far more than just three world class cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
just because they have 'points' doesn't make them world class though. Baltimore has a few points in that list, does that make it a World class city? NOT even close! The world cities are London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo, Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore, and those are the 'alpha cities' on that list

Old 12-19-2007, 01:55 PM

913 posts, read 2,892,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
just because they have 'points' doesn't make them world class though. Baltimore has a few points in that list, does that make it a World class city? NOT even close! The world cities are London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo, Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore, and those are the 'alpha cities' on that list
woot..i been to a couple..grew up in gamma city :P

Old 12-19-2007, 02:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Well I guess it depends on what you define as world class. I, for one, think that all those cities listed are world class towns. The only difference between those alpha cities and other towns like San Francisco, D.C., Boston, Houston, or Dallas is that they have more business. That's it, though.

The alpha cities are the leading cities, but they're not the only cities with "world class."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or