U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:21 PM

550 posts, read 523,000 times

Advertisements

No.

NYC, DC, Miami, and LA will still continue to be "where its at". If anything, the cities that have the most potential to rise into the top 5 are Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, and most importantly: Las Vegas. Detroit was never a dominant cultural city, its actually quite an embarrasment. The place is a sewer and nobody I know goes to Detroit just to "check it out". It will continue to deteriorate. I agree with you about Philly, though. It losing its importance. Boston will always be...well, Boston. It won't go up or down. Chicago will steadily rise.

Washington DC, actually, I predict will one day rival NYC as the "scene" city on the Eastern seaboard. More and more educated and cultured people are moving there everyday and making suburban DC (ie Northern Virginia and Maryland) more "urban", as metro subway service gets bigger and better and making the outlying areas more dynamic. DC already has the best public schools in the nation in terms of quality (well, I actually mean Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax County, etc but those places are, for all intents and purposes, Washington DC)

Phoenix?!?! You gotta be kidding me. Unless you're an illegal immigrant, maybe. Places like Atlanta, Nashville, and Texas?!?! Why on earth would anyone choose to live in those places? Besides, places like that are too far away and isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,775,060 times
Phoenix and LasVegas?????? HAHAHA
And where are they going to get their water from? Oh wait heres an idea!! Lets build a giant dam in the Grand Canyon and make it a lake so they can have water to survive.

I see those two cities declining to almost nonexistance within 50 years.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
speaking of massive projects:

Las Vegas Tower (proposed, 142 stories, 1888 ft, 572meters, and second tallest building in the US if the Chicago spire and this are built)

That thing kinda looks like something I saw at a sextoy shop not to long ago!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:34 PM

231 posts, read 503,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
And where are they going to get their water from? Oh wait heres an idea!! Lets build a giant dam in the Grand Canyon and make it a lake so they can have water to survive.

You are a crack up!! Ever heard of the Colorado river? Lake Mead? If that water source dries up then we do have trouble. No wait--we can just pipe some water in from all those lakes and rivers in the green, lush state of Texas!

PS--that would also mean that Hoover Dam is dry--do you really think thats going to happen? Can we get serious please??

Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 AM

884 posts, read 761,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
You are a crack up!! Ever heard of the Colorado river? Lake Mead? If that water source dries up then we do have trouble. No wait--we can just pipe some water in from all those lakes and rivers in the green, lush state of Texas!

PS--that would also mean that Hoover Dam is dry--do you really think thats going to happen? Can we get serious please??
Not to mention scientists are in the process of creating an affordable desalination process therefore allowing endless water supplies from the ocean.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:51 PM

128 posts, read 122,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post

Are you serious?! I know little about Las Vegas, but come on, Phoenix as nonexistance in fifty years. There are parts of the metro area that have seen almost a 130% increase in population in the last few years. That beats out anything in California, Texas, or anything on the East Coast. But I'm sure that cities like Mesa, Tempe, Peoria, Glendale, and Buckeye, which gained more people then some big cities did, will go away as well. But since your water solution is warped beyond reason, we won't lose sleep over what "predictions" you have about the area!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
No.

NYC, DC, Miami, and LA will still continue to be "where its at". If anything, the cities that have the most potential to rise into the top 5 are Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, and most importantly: Las Vegas. Detroit was never a dominant cultural city, its actually quite an embarrasment. The place is a sewer and nobody I know goes to Detroit just to "check it out". It will continue to deteriorate. I agree with you about Philly, though. It losing its importance. Boston will always be...well, Boston. It won't go up or down. Chicago will steadily rise.

Washington DC, actually, I predict will one day rival NYC as the "scene" city on the Eastern seaboard. More and more educated and cultured people are moving there everyday and making suburban DC (ie Northern Virginia and Maryland) more "urban", as metro subway service gets bigger and better and making the outlying areas more dynamic. DC already has the best public schools in the nation in terms of quality (well, I actually mean Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax County, etc but those places are, for all intents and purposes, Washington DC)

Phoenix?!?! You gotta be kidding me. Unless you're an illegal immigrant, maybe. Places like Atlanta, Nashville, and Texas?!?! Why on earth would anyone choose to live in those places? Besides, places like that are too far away and isolated.

I agree with you on Phoenix, but Atlanta, Nashville and Texas isolated???? Huh? Denver and Vegas are far more isolated than any of those! Why would anyone choose to live here? Hmm why dont you ask the 6.5 million residents of DFW or the 5.5 million In Houston. 12 million people cant be wrong!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 PM

48,086 posts, read 45,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
No.

The only reason people move to Phoenix or other sunbelt areas is because they are cheap and have jobs............and that' it.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:10 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,237,152 times
What is with you people the Sunbelt and Phoenix are where people are going. You act like just because your city's are the oldest and were the most prominent now don't mean other city's will not rise. PLEASE take your blinders off Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are rising whether you like it or not. Believe it or not not everyone cares about the arts scene or how good the theater scene is. The quality of life in the south is amazing. I have lived here most of my life and love it. So what we have sprawl in every direction. Name one major metro in the country that is not sprawling. The south has the largest population and is growing faster. People are moving here because it is REASONABLE and the QUALITY of LIFE is great. ( we have know that a decent house should not cost a million dollars) So jump off you North East pedastool and back down to reality.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,381,078 times
The southwest is in for a rude surprise.

http://www.livescience.com/environme...t_drought.html

The question becomes, what are individual cities in the southwest actually doing to address their future water shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or