U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,583,468 times

Advertisements

So, they have grown together with no space in between - what is the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So, they have grown together with no space in between - what is the difference?
The difference is that it's not fair to compare an area against a city. That's cheating, lol. No, but I really don't want to go over this again. Sorry.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I certainly would not caterogize Las Vegas as a "Retirement" community. In addition to this, Las Vegas has a large downtown and massive projects are underway there as I speak. It will soon be a real "Showplace", just as the strip is now. And as far as the next top 20 list is concerned, I don't believe Memphis will be a player. That place is about as dried up as detroit is.
speaking of massive projects:

Las Vegas Tower (proposed, 142 stories, 1888 ft, 572meters, and second tallest building in the US if the Chicago spire and this are built)

Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
God, I hope that never happens.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:06 PM

87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
So, I searched this thread, because I didn't want to read it all, and the only mention I see of Pittsburgh is on the last pages, with the Fortune 500 lists. Pittsburgh certainly was a big, important city from about 1776 until around 1980, when the steel industry crashed. Now it is a shadow of its former self. Dare I say it might replace Miami on the first list? When I was a kid and Pittsburgh was humming, Miami was a vacation spot. Pittsburgh made the steel that went into the cars made in Detroit.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 PM

508 posts, read 1,317,243 times
Here is my theory when trying to figure what makes cities click socially and stay strong economically. Cities have to have what I consider to be a solid "base" to be great.

NYC - great universities, great location, financial capital of the world.
SF/bay area - great universities, great location, one of the tech capitals of the world
Wash DC - great universities, nation's capital
Chicago - great location, great universities, diverse economic base

Same goes for a lot of the others. However, I think it goes even further. Look at the places on the list -- which ones value education & pay their teachers accordingly? A lot of those cities are progressive and able to embrace change better than most places. It is what separates the ones that stay strong from those that decay.

So when I look at the list and try to make comparisons, this is what I come up with:

Seattle - I think in some ways Seattle has already arrived

San Diego - surprised it hasn't been mentioned; very diverse economy (although expensive) - biotech, tech, defense

Charlotte - the new financial capital of the states; it is still a bit sleepy but it has a strong base along with many great universities

Atlanta - has built a very diverse economy; a mecca for university educated young people in the South

Denver - solid mountain west city, maybe a tad isolated

Anything in Texas will continue to be solid - business friendly; excellent schools; strong base economy - oil (although like the Bay area is subject to some downturns), tech & banking, low costs

Nashville/Minneapolis - maybe on the verge, both are nice places to live and boast good qualities of life (even though the weather may not be ideal)

A lot of the others are just too blue collar and don't see to get it. Louisville, for example, is a decent sized city but it really doesn't have a great white collar economy nor does it have a solid university. Not to mention 'ville totally killed its chance of having a beautiful downtown area right on the water when it built the interstates right next to it - totally blocked the public's access.

Cinci is not a whole lot bigger but its economy is much better. Don't know why but it is and has been for some time now. The same can be said, in my opinion, for others on the list. They just don't get what it takes to build a great city -- not a bad one but not great --- and never will.

I think a lot of the old cities are going to stay strong.

Edit - one more thing we should focus on is small business growth in these areas; probably more so than Fortune 500 companies who love to reach a point where they don't grow and cut people loose.

Last edited by easydoesit; 06-02-2007 at 09:41 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 PM

508 posts, read 1,317,243 times
BTW, I hope New Orleans is on the list for future cities --- please come back!

Last edited by easydoesit; 06-02-2007 at 09:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2007, 03:03 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
God, I hope that never happens.
ditto
I hope they don't go through with it either

Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Default just found this

I think I put this in the wrong thread a minute ago....

Travel magazine says Louisville underrated

Shermans Travel, a national publication, calls Louisville one of the "Top 10 Underrated Cities in America."

It ranked fifth on the list behind, in order, Baltimore; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Houston and Kansas City.

The magazine and its Web site, shermanstravel.com, said: "The Kentucky Derby may be its claim to fame, but the famous horse race isn't all Louisville has to offer.

"This Southern city has loads of small-town charm, a cosmopolitan riverfront district, a diverse art scene, a growing foodie market and its own Restaurant Row.

Also, "Sports lovers should make a stop at the Louisville Slugger Museum; thrill-seekers, take a ride on the world's longest stand up coaster at Kentucky Kingdom; and history lovers, sip mint juleps on a river cruise aboard the Belle of Louisville, a national historic landmark."

Old 06-06-2007, 09:12 PM

56 posts, read 190,029 times
I would agree with the 1st list regarding the 10 major cities except I would not have miami on it, I would put Atlanta there instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or