Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times

Advertisements

I've decided there can be no other explanation. And I'm talking about "our" kit meaning EVERYBODY'S! I know we were suppose to gradually convert over starting in the 80's but this is taking way too long. I didn't really understand why we were doing this but hey, must have been a good reason right?

Those KPH speed limit signs are starting to be removed by vandals at such a rate that the DOT can't keep up with the replacement. I've called them repeatedly and they are so embarrassed that I think they've put a call block on my phone number.

And while many of the baseball stadiums have been replaced since we started this, they forgot to bring the old meter outfield signs with them to those new stadiums. I've been washing out my liquor bottles to pour my milk into so that I was conforming, but you need more than two of the 1.75 liter bottles to pour the gallon milk into and how much booze can one guy drink?

It just seems that this has been a one-sided (me) commitment and my wife, friends and neighbors along with the government all of YOU are not showing the dedication that we need to get this done (for whatever reason it was).

Sorry about getting down on everybody, I just needed to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
The Wikipedia article on US metrication blames apathy, indifference and outright resistance. You're rowing against the current.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The Wikipedia article on US metrication blames apathy, indifference and outright resistance. You're rowing against the current.
But, I had cornered the market on metric "yardsticks" and tape measures!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
English/Traditional measurement systems = A sumptuous feast that dazzles the senses with its vibrant colors, rich, exotic smells, diverse textures and exquisite flavors.

Metric = A dull horse pill that provides the essential nutrients that support life.

I'd walk fifty furlongs (about a league) for a hogshead of English measurement!

ABQConvict

Old 04-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
I thought I remembered that issuing an executive order canceling the country's transition to the metric system was one of Ronald Reagan's first moves when he took office in 1981. Turns out that in 1982, he canceled the funding for the government department that was implementing the transition. That effectively scuttled the transition for civilian usage.

The page at the link below shows that the government continues to take incremental steps toward requiring metric usage for various purposes.

A chronology of the metric system

Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I thought I remembered that issuing an executive order canceling the country's transition to the metric system was one of Ronald Reagan's first moves when he took office in 1981. Turns out that in 1982, he canceled the funding for the government department that was implementing the transition. That effectively scuttled the transition for civilian usage.

A chronology of the metric system
I thought he was kidding, you know; "the missiles are flying in 5-minutes type of thing". I was waiting for a letter or a phone call, some type of personal communication. I'm going to have to change all those yard-sticks and tape measures back again. That's not the type of "change" I had in mind.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times
Why do we need the metric system? We're doing just fine with our system, and we're the only country in the world that uses it - it's distinctly American.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,127 times
Man. I get bored just THINKING about the metric system. It has no character.

Before they go changing our system, they should try walking a kilometer in our shoes. We can't relent on this even a little. If we give a centimeter, they will take a kilometer. I won't touch the metric system with a 10 decimeter pole.

As my favorite football coach would say, it's "three meters and a cloud of dust." That's how we're going to have to fight this. Just keep centimetering along.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,055,097 times
Quote:

He can count on another guy rowing with him! I wish we were a metric country. I am very fluent in Metrics.

Kazoopilot: 6 countries in the world use the metric system.

1 mile = 1.609km

1 km = .62miles

Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,466 times
There just isn't a ton of interest in converting.
I mean, there's not 800 kilograms of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.