U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,244,626 times

Advertisements

Can't turn right on red in any area of NYC. It's the law. Most of Long Island seems to be like that too, although there's no law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM

I think here in NYC we have the most aggressive drivers in the country. And I've driven many places.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,278,289 times
I am a very patient driver. If someone cuts me off I just let it go. If there is traffic I deal with it. I rarely use my horn unless someone is purposely blocking the way into a roundabout.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,104,385 times
its a $100 fine in NYC to honk your horn. and ofcourse no right on reds...

Driving in Boston is a nightmare...here are a few things to remember.
- there are streets with the same names, in different parts of the city
- Streets are very old, not very wide, never straight or gridded and almost always one ways. Can be a pain in the arse to get to somewhere close by.
- Good luck with street parking hahahahahaha
- Turn signals are optional
- people use the breakdown lanes as an extra lane during all rush hours
- People slalom drive, regularly
- We drive VERY fast here
- The color yellow is basically another shade of green...
- M*******s, we are hot-headed behind the wheel.
- We have some very expensive tolls...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
its a $100 fine in NYC to honk your horn. ...

True, but I've NEVER seen anyone get a ticket for honking. I think it's mostly just a threat lol.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,054,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
- Good luck with street parking hahahahahaha
And if you take someones spot, you will have your tires slashed.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,215,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I think here in NYC we have the most aggressive drivers in the country. And I've driven many places.
yup, better get used to weaving and bobbing through traffic without your turn signal

Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 AM

8,005 posts, read 16,068,304 times
Quote:
I LOVE Driving in New York/ With New Yorkers. Bostonians tend to be aggressive, but in a reckless way. In New York, often time the aggressiveness seems to be calculated and make sense. When someone is riding your bumper in New York it's not necessarily because you're going too slow (although it very well could be for that reason), but if you stopped short, more than likely the person on your tail could stop without hitting you as well.

It amazes me too that despite the aggressiveness on an open highway, they can work VERY well when it comes to situations where cooperation is needed. I'll never forget how smoothly the alternate merge to get into the Holland Tunnel went when I was driving there a few months ago... just perfect. In many places where drivers are fast and aggressive you don't see that type of cooperation and it further worsens traffic. New Yorkers know how to maximize efficiency in even the worst traffic situations and I admire that. They are, in my opinion, the best drivers in the country (though I'm sure anyone who doesn't drive in cities normally would disagree).

I'm not even getting started on the pedestrians in NYC either. The drivers and pedestrians seem to work together almost seamlessly. It's a beautiful thing.

Boston is another story. Drivers are fast, but they're also rude and often times inconsiderate or dumb. It doesn't help that pedestrians just assume cars will stop if they start crossing the road regardless of the signal and the streets form a twisted, mangled mess that's impossible to deal with unless you know exactly what you're doing. I'd take driving in New York City any day over driving in Boston and I'm pretty comfortable driving in Boston.

However, I disagree with street parking being too difficult in either city. I rarely ever park in a garage or lot in Boston or New York. As long as you have 5-10 minutes, you can usually get a spot if you know where to look (and circle the block a few times). It gets difficult in mainly residential neighborhoods where stickers are required to park, but in and around the centers of both cities one can find street parking if they work a little at it.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
Texas drivers might be good competition.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas drivers might be good competition.

I've seen Texas drivers here many times. I've never noticed anything aggressive about them. Anyway, Texas is known to be laid back, not aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or