U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,405,932 times

Advertisements

I live way over here about two hours away from Manhattan, and I've also heard nothing but great things about Madison. Your city may be somewhat small, but you've made a great name for yourselves! Congratulations!

By the way, Elfyum, thanks for sharing that information with us; I want to visit Madison even more now just to breathe in the CLEAN air! The only downside I hear is that it's a VERY expensive place to live for a city of its size. I suppose you have to "pay" for quality; places like Camden, NJ are dirt cheap for a reason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 04:37 PM

331 posts, read 1,484,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
places like Camden, NJ are dirt cheap for a reason!

Yeah, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre too!!!

(. . . and I can say that 'cause I've lived there! I've been reading your many posts on the region and I have to admit I'm not sure whether to be sad that your youthful enthusiasm has apparently met its match, or to say "Yeah, I could have told you so . . .". Well, whatever. Good luck if you do move out of the valley. I suspect wherever you end up you will be a very active and valuable member of the community.)

Old 04-01-2007, 04:44 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,999,121 times
Oh I loved Madison Wisconsin when I attended a wedding there a few years ago. Wonderful peeps, loved the trolls, and learned the phrase big ass. Luckily they were referring to my huge dog and not my rear!
Madison gets lots of smiley faces.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,405,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Yeah, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre too!!!

(. . . and I can say that 'cause I've lived there! I've been reading your many posts on the region and I have to admit I'm not sure whether to be sad that your youthful enthusiasm has apparently met its match, or to say "Yeah, I could have told you so . . .". Well, whatever. Good luck if you do move out of the valley. I suspect wherever you end up you will be a very active and valuable member of the community.)
Thanks, but no thanks. The area is on an upswing, and the most recent census estimates, which show population GROWTH in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, attest to the fact that we're quickly shedding out "rusted out coal cracker" image and progressing into the 21st century! We even now have well-heeled New Yorkers considering a move into new downtown loft housing options. Granted, this area isn't Boulder, Naperville, Charlottesville, Minneapolis, or any of the other "best places," but it's certainly come a LONG way, even since 2000!

By the way, Wilkes-Barre may still be dirt cheap, but Scranton's real estate values have truly been taking off. According to Rediscover Scranton, property values on single-family homes in the city have risen by 1/3 since 2003, and values on multi-unit properties have risen by 1/2 since 2003. For example, if I owned a typical duplex in the city that was worth $100,000 in 2003, it would now be worth $150,000 today. A single-family home in the city that was worth $150,000 in 2003 might be worth $200,000 today. Also, have you scanned the local parking lots lately? BMWs, Audis, Volvos, Lexuses, etc. are quite commonplace. The locals who are whining about the "lack of economic opportunity" in the region are quite possibly also the ones who dropped out of high school, are unprepared for the challenges of a dynamic workplace, and are just NOT suitable for a well-paying job as a result. Every local I know who has either learned a skilled manual trade or has obtained a degree is living comfortably in our area. The ones with the "Scranton Sucks" mentality have such an outlook because they simply didn't apply themselves enough in life to permit for much socioeconomic vertical mobility.

My parents are your typical "rags to riches" story: When I was born, we were living in a trailer park, my dad worked at a gas station, and my mother worked at a drugstore. Through self-sacrifice, dedication, and due dilligence, they both obtained their degrees. Now, I accidentally saw their tax return, and they earned over $70,000 last year. If they could rise from a trailer park to middle-class suburbia with semi-professional careers, then why can't the rest of the "woe is me; Scranton sucks" locals? It's no secret that an area where few people obtain an education also tends to have lower median household incomes, and that is the case in this area as well. Why is it the fault of NEPA as a region for the shortcomings of its own residents? Don't want to earn much money in life? Fine. Just don't try to tell others that the region is "bleak" when you know deep down inside that you could have been a local economic success story if you so desired. I'm so TIRED of hearing the locals rant and rave about how much the area sucks, yet when you inquire what they've done to try to help themselves rise out of a "rut", they do nothing but try to change the subject. The area owes you nothing; your life will only be as fruitful as the seeds you sow. Didn't plan ahead for a stable future? Too bad. Stop blaming the city for your problems!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:36 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,387,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
Where can I get look at those rankings.
There are many of them. Just google "Madison, WI" and key words like "best ranked" or the like and see what you come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or