Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 AM

252 posts, read 710,141 times

Advertisements

The only thing wrong with being a Yankee is wearing pinstripes. (Go Sox!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Huh, brother, am I being put into the middle here...lol.
I am German, speak fluent and my own "version" of english....lol..love the north, love the south, and have nothing to do with the civil war stuff, since us germans were to involved and busy with our own nonsense.....
MovingBack, you raise an excellent point!

Southerners, if your resentfullness of us Northerners stems from bad feelings about the Civil War passed on down to you from your daddy's daddy's granddaddy, forget about it. Most of us Northerners' families weren't even IN the US during the time of the Civil War! They were still in Italy, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Russia, etc! Calling us Yankees means nothing to us.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I think anonymous needs to chill out!! Low class IS a part of Southern "culture". In the other thread "Differences between North and South" someone else pointed out Northerners tend to there appearence more as well as there property. So true.

I am sick of hearing about the Southern "culture" crap. Yep, most Northerners dont care.
How droll. I wonder where the term "Southern Gentleman" derived and why those of northern heritage at it's heyday were so enamored of them being "low class" as they were. I am convinced from the adamant cries of our Yankee friends that a true Southern Gentlemen could never feel up to the high social standards of Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
MovingBack, you raise an excellent point!

Southerners, if your resentfullness of us Northerners stems from bad feelings about the Civil War passed on down to you from your daddy's daddy's granddaddy, forget about it. Most of us Northerners' families weren't even IN the US during the time of the Civil War! They were still in Italy, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Russia, etc! Calling us Yankees means nothing to us.
GASP Foreigners! Them Yanks is importing their rabble rousers now.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I cant believe this thread is still going. hahaha

South: you lost the war. Get over it. We did. No reason to argue about it.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I really like the north since my trip from Chicago to NYC. Upstate NY is very beautiful.

Need more Yankees in Houston! Please come and change Texas! I'm tired of repressive slaveowners and ultra-conservative rural hicks running my state. Kick out the religious right. I'm a refugee from Texas. Please help.
Okay KerrTown, for the last time....You are NOT a refugee, you were kicked out of the state, and if you don't learn to play better with the other slaveholders you cannot come back.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Growing up I thought Yankee was a few things:

1 - a magazine my grandmother subscribed to (Yankee Magazine) ... I still have some of their old cookbooks from my grandmothers house.
2 - part the name of a few restaurants in New England
3 - the epicenter of all that is unholy and loathsome, the The New York Yankees

I was shocked when I visited the south and was given that moniker, and no, of course there is nothing wrong with being a Yankee, unless you are wearing a pinstriped uniform and holding a baseball bat, and then it is very wrong indeed.
I concur J33. Some of my fondest memories are of Yankee Pot Roast.

I never understood how there was always so much of it when the Yanks I saw as a young'un were all so skinny.

Nowadays I get nervous when I see anyone walking towards me holding a baseball bat.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM

42 posts, read 249,301 times
There are two meanings here...

(US usage) Yank/Yankee - a resident of the Midwestern or Northeastern US.
(Commonwelath usage) Yank Yankee - An American citizen.

And my family wasn't in this country then either. They arrived after WWII.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:26 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormur View Post
There are two meanings here...

(US usage) Yank/Yankee - a resident of the Midwestern or Northeastern US.
(Commonwelath usage) Yank Yankee - An American citizen.

And my family wasn't in this country then either. They arrived after WWII.
I'm originally from Illinois (30 mins south of Chicago) and I had no idea that I was considered a Yankee by people in the South until I moved to Tennessee and was called one. The first time that I was called one was by lady that I work with and I corrected (confused) her by saying, "No, I'm from the Midwest." To me, Yankees are from the Northeast. I'm just a midwest boy. I didn't even know the term "Yankee" was still being used in modern society without being in reference to the sports team.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I cant believe this thread is still going. hahaha

South: you lost the war. Get over it. We did. No reason to argue about it.
I can't believe this thread is still going, either. I also can't believe that after all this random discussion, that you still think this is about the Civil War.

When southerners talk about "Yankees", we aren't talking about the Civil War. We use that word in a modern context to refer to someone who wasn't born a southerner.

Now, there are an awful lot of southerners who are still interested in the Civil War, historically speaking. I can see how this seems strange to northerners, since New York and Chicago were never burned to the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.