U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 AM

127 posts, read 347,175 times

Advertisements

Although there are some things I don't like about southern culture, I don't want to come off as a basher. There are some things about the south that are great. Some of their architecture with the classical details is beautiful. Many don't approve of slavery but - come on - don't you sometimes wish you had a slave? Some of the best music in the world came out of the south. Some of the literature is outstanding. The conservative values are a plus also. There is much to like!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,951,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am curious what everyone thinks. I never really thought of myself as one-lol.

sunny
In the South, any American not from the South is automatically a Yankee. Whether you're from California, Missouri, Ohio, the Bronx...you're a Yankee. Smile!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,951,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Actually, they don't even have art museums, which is one of the reasons I'm leaving. sunny
Have you even looked?
Honey, all I can say is bless your heart and don't let the screen door slap your rear on your way out.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,566,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Nothin' a-tall.

Just like there's nothing wrong with being a Southerner with a thick accent, however some people like to joke that there is something wrong or undesireable about it, like maybe they're inbred. But that is not the truth, not even close, and most people know it.

If someone calls you a Yankee, take it in stride; it's probably meant in a playfull way of describing you being from somewhere else, but still American.
You do realize that a thick accent is relative? The southern accent is just different from what the "thick accent" you're use to.

Back on topic, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a Yankee or Redneck. The "wrong" occurs when you mistakenly think you're better than someone else, because of where you come from, or how they do things where you're from.

(That's the generic You, ColdCanadian, not YOU specifically.)

Old 03-29-2007, 12:05 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,729,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
You do realize that a thick accent is relative? The southern accent is just different from what the "thick accent" you're use to.

Back on topic, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a Yankee or Redneck. The "wrong" occurs when you mistakenly think you're better than someone else, because of where you come from, or how they do things where you're from.

(That's the generic You, ColdCanadian, not YOU specifically.)
Of course. But I also know there are different kinds of southern accents. But some I've heard are thick enough to make George Bush or Dr. Phil sound like they're speaking the Queen's English.

(and that's what I meant by nothing "wrong" with a thick southern accent; even to the point that some Americans almost need an interpreter to decipher)

I wholeheartedly agree with your second point.

I understood the context that you meant that the first time.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,645,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
Although there are some things I don't like about southern culture, I don't want to come off as a basher.
Oh please, you just referred to "low class, righteousness, and hate" as part of southern culture. I could point out all the things that I don't like about wherever you're from.. *ahem*..but I wouldn't want to exhibit righteousness, low class, and hate.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,235,469 times
Southern culture is often confused with "Redneck" living. It's in every movie produced on the left coast. Real deal is that PA, NY, and other federal states have their fair share of white trash.
Generally, I will refer to anyone as "yankee" if they are not from here, doesn't mean I hate them. What really does bother me though is lippy yankee women who claim to be so tolerant, yet are wholly indignant to all things Southern. Rest assured that your type will be frowned upon, and not tolerated.
What pisses off most of us bass-ackward, redneck, rebel flag, whitetrash is the total lack of history most yankees have, specifically with regard to the subjects of secession, states rights, limited federal government, slavery, the ending of it, and reconstruction. And let's not forget the civil religion of worshipping Abraham Lincoln.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 PM

127 posts, read 347,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Oh please, you just referred to "low class, righteousness, and hate" as part of southern culture. I could point out all the things that I don't like about wherever you're from.. *ahem*..but I wouldn't want to exhibit righteousness, low class, and hate.
But hate and Protestant righteousness were southern. That's a fact. He slandered millions of people with what he said and I responded. Nothing wrong with defending yourself and your loved ones.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,645,467 times
Quote:
But hate and Protestant righteousness were southern. That's a fact.
Really? I could've sworn that the Puritans in New England qualified as such. With the Salem Witch Trials and all.

But we're getting off topic, the point here is that your statement that southerners are 'righteous and hateful' is absurd and insulting. Yet, it has such a wonderful irony, considering the original question.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 PM

364 posts, read 397,154 times
Quote:
Ha ha! I bet this person wouldn't dream of saying anything bad about black people but he still has to hate someone. Hate/righteousness/low class is a part of southern culture. And did I say righteousness? That is big in the south. To all the yankees out there living in the south, when someone calls you a yankee don't get all riled up. Do what I do - take it as a compliment that my presence makes someone feel inferior. LOL! Southern culture doesn't impress me. They should study Italian people - classy!

I think anonymous needs to chill out!! Low class IS a part of Southern "culture". In the other thread "Differences between North and South" someone else pointed out Northerners tend to there appearence more as well as there property. So true.

I am sick of hearing about the Southern "culture" crap. Yep, most Northerners dont care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.