U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 03:55 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I think anonymous needs to chill out!! Low class IS a part of Southern "culture". In the other thread "Differences between North and South" someone else pointed out Northerners tend to there appearence more as well as there property. So true.

I am sick of hearing about the Southern "culture" crap. Yep, most Northerners dont care.
I think we've answered this question, haven't we?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM

127 posts, read 347,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Really? I could've sworn that the Puritans in New England qualified as such. With the Salem Witch Trials and all.

But we're getting off topic, the point here is that your statement that southerners are 'righteous and hateful' is absurd and insulting. Yet, it has such a wonderful irony, considering the original question.

There is no irony in stating the fact that not so long ago as recently as the 50's if you were black, Catholic, Jewish or a yankee, you were not welcomed in the south. If it makes you feel better we could say it was intolerance instead of hate I don't know where the superiority complex (self righteousness) comes from but I am guessing the Protestant religion.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:56 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,380,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
What really does bother me though is lippy yankee women who claim to be so tolerant, yet are wholly indignant to all things Southern. Rest assured that your type will be frowned upon, and not tolerated.
What pisses off most of us bass-ackward, redneck, rebel flag, whitetrash is the total lack of history most yankees have, specifically with regard to the subjects of secession, states rights, limited federal government, slavery, the ending of it, and reconstruction. And let's not forget the civil religion of worshipping Abraham Lincoln.
Lippy Yankee women? What the heck does that mean? Women who say what they think? They are in the south and the north!

But what I truly do not understand is the statement "the total lack of history most yankees have," unless you mean that we didn't know about it. Well, we did. We studied it in our Yankee schools just like you. Some of us may have even understood both sides.

But the civil religion of worshiping Abraham Lincoln? Well, that statement is completely lost on me.

I also find this post ironic, considering how many have said on city-data that the Civil War does not figure in to the welcoming of Yankees to the South, how it just doesn't matter, it just isn't brought up or thought of, and then, well, here it is....

Old 03-29-2007, 05:09 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,732,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
There is no irony in stating the fact that not so long ago as recently as the 50's if you were black, Catholic, Jewish or a yankee, you were not welcomed in the south. If it makes you feel better we could say it was intolerance instead of hate I don't know where the superiority complex (self righteousness) comes from but I am guessing the Protestant religion.
What's that supposed to mean?

In Toronto in the 1950's if you were black, Catholic or Jewish there were many places you wouldn't be welcome either. I saw a picture in a Toronto restaurant window circa 1950's that stated "No Catholics, No Jews, No Service." They probably left out "Black" or "Coloured," simply because practically everyone was white! Out of a few hundred white families there might be the odd Chinese family or two.

But we didn't hate Yankees... Does that make us better?
Or is it because we didn't officially have segregation written into law,
so there were some places for minorities to go without hassle?

If Toronto was like that, I think it's very likely than many northern U.S. cities were like that as well.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:10 PM

414 posts, read 2,417,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
Ha ha! I bet this person wouldn't dream of saying anything bad about black people but he still has to hate someone. Hate/righteousness/low class is a part of southern culture. And did I say righteousness? That is big in the south. To all the yankees out there living in the south, when someone calls you a yankee don't get all riled up. Do what I do - take it as a compliment that my presence makes someone feel inferior. LOL! Southern culture doesn't impress me. They should study Italian people - classy!
Hmm I don't hate Northern people I just don't like certain types of behavior that some of them bring to the South.

I was also explaining for people what some people might mean about being called a Yankee it can either be mean or nice.

There is just as much low class in the North as in the South. In fact its a lot easier now for middle class families to afford a nice standard of living in the South than it is in overpriced areas like Boston or New York. Look at something like Orange County California yuck. You have a class of underservants/illegals (which Yes exist too down south), middle class in apartments or small townhomes, and two lawyers or doctors buying an entry level or decent house that used to be the middle class person's house.

I resent the thing also being said about black people. I certainly would speak my mind about not liking something some black person had done to me if that was the case just as I would if someone who was a Northerner or what have you was the case. There's nothing special about black people or about anyone in particular. Another thing Northerners do and I can't stand is the damn political correctness and accusations of Southerners as racist. Sure there may be some racist folks but there are up north too. That statement should have no part of your argument.

There are a lot of things about Southern culture that are impressive. Its the best of the culture that is taken and projected. The Italian culture that you love is the same thing. And who says any of that is rejected? There are plenty of fine Italian restaurants in the South, you can find nice Italian clothes, and you can get Fox Soccer Channel and watch Italian soccer matches if you wish.

Is Northern culture any different -- why yes. You can find more big cosmopolitan cities, faster pace of life/more exciting for some, live in closer proximity to things, different kinds of restaurants. There are also plenty of strip mall areas, low class/working class people, whiny parents and tax and spend liberals, Mr. BMW on-tail, horn bonker, etc if you want me to throw back some reverse stereotypes up north. However, my preference is that I feel rushed and stressed out in the North and prefer the more laid back feel of the South.

Should you care to examine the fine things available in the South and in Southern culture you would find a lot of things that are impressive and worth keeping? Some of the food is delicious, and a lot of time and care are spent preparing big family meals. I like the feeling of graciousness and meal as a time to talk and relax, give and take, talk to your neighbors. There is plenty of Southern food that is unhealthy also. Many less people fry with lard then before and you can find Thai or Italian cooking in any place.

Where else can you find Spanish moss and oaks, flowers in March, magnolia trees, palmettos and a winter short enough to give you a seasonal pause and time for reflection but without being frigid or draining? Where else can you find lazy susan table dining with home cooking and agreeable strangers? I love the big old homes and even the new has ample room for living room if not always character. The stories, the battlefields, the history -- the South has a very rich past. And if you'd slow down to find some of it and ignore some of the monotonous subdeveloping and low class strip mall culture that exists anywhere in America and that has existed in different forms since the beginning of time maybe you'd unearth some of those jewels.

Its not about hate its about being treated with respect. And when such a level of respect is absent from a community like I have seen with a fair number of people up North, then those people need to treat Southerners with respect also.

Hmm someone said Most Northernerss don't care about Southern culture, well that's kind of insulting and not very well appreciated. Since you don't care about where you are living and just want whats good for you that creates a kind of selfish community thats not wanted. Also you will take advantage of cheaper housing costs and jobs made available to you but have no kindness to return in favor. Is it not normal for a dominant culture to want to preserve its heritage? And still yet Southern culture is the dominant culture in the South.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM

414 posts, read 2,417,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Southern culture is often confused with "Redneck" living. It's in every movie produced on the left coast. Real deal is that PA, NY, and other federal states have their fair share of white trash.
Generally, I will refer to anyone as "yankee" if they are not from here, doesn't mean I hate them. What really does bother me though is lippy yankee women who claim to be so tolerant, yet are wholly indignant to all things Southern. Rest assured that your type will be frowned upon, and not tolerated.
What pisses off most of us bass-ackward, redneck, rebel flag, whitetrash is the total lack of history most yankees have, specifically with regard to the subjects of secession, states rights, limited federal government, slavery, the ending of it, and reconstruction. And let's not forget the civil religion of worshipping Abraham Lincoln.
Yup they no longer teach it in schools. You learn for three years about world culture, two on Native Americans, spend months on civil rights, but your basic American history gets little more than a back burner rapid fire one year high school treatment.

I ask some French people while I was there if they learned about American history much in class and they said No. Ditto for Canadians. Its good to know stuff about the world but America comes first and foremost.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What's that supposed to mean?

In Toronto in the 1950's if you were black, Catholic or Jewish there were many places you wouldn't be welcome either. I saw a picture in a Toronto restaurant window circa 1950's that stated "No Catholics, No Jews, No Service." They probably left out "Black" or "Coloured," simply because practically everyone was white! Out of a few hundred white families there might be the odd Chinese family or two.

But we didn't hate Yankees... Does that make us better?
Or is it because we didn't officially have segregation written into law,
so there were some places for minorities to go without hassle?

If Toronto was like that, I think it's very likely than many northern U.S. cities were like that as well.

I wasn't referring to Canada. My Italian, Irish, Catholic family lived in the mid-Atlantic cities and suffered very little discrimination.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 PM

364 posts, read 397,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Hmm I don't hate Northern people I just don't like certain types of behavior that some of them bring to the South.

I was also explaining for people what some people might mean about being called a Yankee it can either be mean or nice.

There is just as much low class in the North as in the South. In fact its a lot easier now for middle class families to afford a nice standard of living in the South than it is in overpriced areas like Boston or New York. Look at something like Orange County California yuck. You have a class of underservants/illegals (which Yes exist too down south), middle class in apartments or small townhomes, and two lawyers or doctors buying an entry level or decent house that used to be the middle class person's house.

I resent the thing also being said about black people. I certainly would speak my mind about not liking something some black person had done to me if that was the case just as I would if someone who was a Northerner or what have you was the case. There's nothing special about black people or about anyone in particular. Another thing Northerners do and I can't stand is the damn political correctness and accusations of Southerners as racist. Sure there may be some racist folks but there are up north too. That statement should have no part of your argument.

There are a lot of things about Southern culture that are impressive. Its the best of the culture that is taken and projected. The Italian culture that you love is the same thing. And who says any of that is rejected? There are plenty of fine Italian restaurants in the South, you can find nice Italian clothes, and you can get Fox Soccer Channel and watch Italian soccer matches if you wish.

Is Northern culture any different -- why yes. You can find more big cosmopolitan cities, faster pace of life/more exciting for some, live in closer proximity to things, different kinds of restaurants. There are also plenty of strip mall areas, low class/working class people, whiny parents and tax and spend liberals, Mr. BMW on-tail, horn bonker, etc if you want me to throw back some reverse stereotypes up north. However, my preference is that I feel rushed and stressed out in the North and prefer the more laid back feel of the South.

Should you care to examine the fine things available in the South and in Southern culture you would find a lot of things that are impressive and worth keeping? Some of the food is delicious, and a lot of time and care are spent preparing big family meals. I like the feeling of graciousness and meal as a time to talk and relax, give and take, talk to your neighbors. There is plenty of Southern food that is unhealthy also. Many less people fry with lard then before and you can find Thai or Italian cooking in any place.

Where else can you find Spanish moss and oaks, flowers in March, magnolia trees, palmettos and a winter short enough to give you a seasonal pause and time for reflection but without being frigid or draining? Where else can you find lazy susan table dining with home cooking and agreeable strangers? I love the big old homes and even the new has ample room for living room if not always character. The stories, the battlefields, the history -- the South has a very rich past. And if you'd slow down to find some of it and ignore some of the monotonous subdeveloping and low class strip mall culture that exists anywhere in America and that has existed in different forms since the beginning of time maybe you'd unearth some of those jewels.

Its not about hate its about being treated with respect. And when such a level of respect is absent from a community like I have seen with a fair number of people up North, then those people need to treat Southerners with respect also.

Just the length of your post says you take this way too personally and seriously. "Orange County yuk". Yeah, beautiful multi million dollar homes. Yeah, yuk. I reserve the word yuk for a trailor with toothless hillbillies in the middle of nowhere. You sound like a know it all over obsessive Southerner who does not want to accept some don't care don't like the past, present and future of the South. If you love it so much, stay there and never leave!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,380,481 times
Quote:
Yup they no longer teach it in schools. You learn for three years about world culture, two on Native Americans, spend months on civil rights, but your basic American history gets little more than a back burner rapid fire one year high school treatment.
They may not teach about the civil war in southern schools, but they sure teach it in Yankee schools.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Hmm someone said Most Northernerss don't care about Southern culture, well that's kind of insulting and not very well appreciated. Since you don't care about where you are living and just want whats good for you that creates a kind of selfish community thats not wanted. Also you will take advantage of cheaper housing costs and jobs made available to you but have no kindness to return in favor. Is it not normal for a dominant culture to want to preserve its heritage? And still yet Southern culture is the dominant culture in the South.

I never said southerners are racist. Most of the urban southerners I know are politically correct in this day and age. However, there is still hating and slander of northern people. I will tell you about one of many similar situations I experienced when I moved south. I was stopped at a traffic light and someone behind me simulated a gun with his hand and shot my license plate. Now he didn't know if I was one of those yankees that is trying to force my ways on everyone or one of those "lippy yankee women." LOL! He was hating me because of my state and no other reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.