U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,353,816 times

Advertisements

This is truly enlightening. The original question is "What's wrong with being a Yankee" and then the hate spews. But up in the individual state forums everybody ensures us that there is no such prejudice. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,779,649 times
Lightbulb lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Lippy Yankee women? What the heck does that mean? Women who say what they think? They are in the south and the north!

But what I truly do not understand is the statement "the total lack of history most yankees have," unless you mean that we didn't know about it. Well, we did. We studied it in our Yankee schools just like you. Some of us may have even understood both sides.

But the civil religion of worshiping Abraham Lincoln? Well, that statement is completely lost on me.

I also find this post ironic, considering how many have said on city-data that the Civil War does not figure in to the welcoming of Yankees to the South, how it just doesn't matter, it just isn't brought up or thought of, and then, well, here it is....
Thats what I have also noticed, hiknapster. The last time the Civil War was a discussion is if "Gone with the Wind" happened to be on the television. 1859-----to 2007; wow. Scary.

sunny

Old 03-29-2007, 05:51 PM

556 posts, read 1,938,056 times
The only thing that keeps me from being completely dismayed by the posts found here is the fact that our fighting men and women overseas would and do die for each other, regardless of where we come from.

Before all of you get so worked up over all this pitiful nonsense, I beg you to stop and take a minute to ask yourself if you would not lay down your life for any American in jeopardy, no matter what state he/she came from. I'll be willing to bet you almost every person here would do that.

Remember how you felt on 9/11? None of us were expecting it--NONE OF US! After it happened, each and every one of us were drawn to our televisions, most of us crying and praying for the people involved.

Now all of you, take a deep breath and for Pete's sake, think about the junk you are writing here for the world to see! Those of us who were blessed to be born Americans should all stick together and work together for the good of us all--and thank the Good Master for our troops who are overseas now laying down their lives for all of us.

May we all learn humility and dignity and never forget to speak to one another with kindness and tolerance.

And YES, I am a Southern Lady.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM

628 posts, read 2,574,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
The only thing that keeps me from being completely dismayed by the posts found here is the fact that our fighting men and women overseas would and do die for each other, regardless of where we come from.

Before all of you get so worked up over all this pitiful nonsense, I beg you to stop and take a minute to ask yourself if you would not lay down your life for any American in jeopardy, no matter what state he/she came from. I'll be willing to bet you almost every person here would do that.

Remember how you felt on 9/11? None of us were expecting it--NONE OF US! After it happened, each and every one of us were drawn to our televisions, most of us crying and praying for the people involved.

Now all of you, take a deep breath and for Pete's sake, think about the junk you are writing here for the world to see! Those of us who were blessed to be born Americans should all stick together and work together for the good of us all--and thank the Good Master for our troops who are overseas now laying down their lives for all of us.

May we all learn humility and dignity and never forget to speak to one another with kindness and tolerance.

I sent you a PM and I'm repeating it here.

That was well said and much needed.

Thank you.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post

Thank you. I would defend ANY American. Absolutely.

Once again, thank you. I know there are many GREAT Southerners that have been welcoming to me, a Yankee.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 PM

364 posts, read 396,659 times
I agree 100%

BUT...

Funny how NOW everyone acts like this was stupid or childish and loves everyone. Peace not war. Yeah right- not here. Not too long before the North/South debate kicks up again. New thread- slightly altered title. Lots of over obsessive folks who seem to need to shove there opinion down everyones throats. Like it was well said "pitifull nonsense". For those with the endless page posts- remember... this is a website. That's it.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM

69 posts, read 366,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
I never said southerners are racist. Most of the urban southerners I know are politically correct in this day and age. However, there is still hating and slander of northern people. I will tell you about one of many similar situations I experienced when I moved south. I was stopped at a traffic light and someone behind me simulated a gun with his hand and shot my license plate. Now he didn't know if I was one of those yankees that is trying to force my ways on everyone or one of those "lippy yankee women." LOL! He was hating me because of my state and no other reason.
LOl That's funny. I remember when I was lving in Florida and I went north to Ohio to visit some relatives. We still had Florida plates on the car and someone in a Wal Mart parking lot (kid you not) shouted "redneck hicks!" I thought that was quite amusing, especially since it was coming from someone who looked like rednecks themselves.
Ignorance and prejudice are everywhere and it's not limited to southerners. Although I am from Maryland originally, I lived in Pennsylvania for a while and people did treat me kind of different (called me hillbilly, made fun of my speech) when they found out I was from Maryland, which I think is more of a northern state. Oh well.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 PM

But that does not negate the comments made here from Southerners against Yankees.

Are there rednecks all over the country? Yup. But some people have to hold onto stereotypical beliefs because it makes them feel much better about themselves.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,642,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
But that does not negate the comments made here from Southerners against Yankees.
Nor does it negate the insulting things that yankees have said about southerners. It's obvious where your bias lies.

I just want people to see the hypocrisy, in two supposedly "tolerant" northerners claiming that "it's a fact that southerners are hateful and self-righteous." Which is an inherently hateful and self-righteous thing to say. And judging by the responses of their fellow yankees (and a moderator, no less) - this seems to be a shared point of view.

And to top it off, the logical basis behind the south being so awful, is that "My catholic family lived in the mid-atlantic, and wasn't harassed." What on earth does that have to do with anything?

Last edited by anonymous; 03-30-2007 at 05:56 AM..

Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Southern culture is often confused with "Redneck" living. It's in every movie produced on the left coast. Real deal is that PA, NY, and other federal states have their fair share of white trash.
Generally, I will refer to anyone as "yankee" if they are not from here, doesn't mean I hate them. What really does bother me though is lippy yankee women who claim to be so tolerant, yet are wholly indignant to all things Southern. Rest assured that your type will be frowned upon, and not tolerated.
What pisses off most of us bass-ackward, redneck, rebel flag, whitetrash is the total lack of history most yankees have, specifically with regard to the subjects of secession, states rights, limited federal government, slavery, the ending of it, and reconstruction. And let's not forget the civil religion of worshipping Abraham Lincoln.
Sorry. I didn't think Southerners were prejudiced until I read this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.