U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,155,266 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that some of us do have very arrogant opinions and want to change and invade the south, I for one, am not one of them, I am kind hearted, hard working and very neighborly, but I do agree that some of us are very rude and outspoken...heck I dislike some Yankees too, then again I dislike anyone who is rude and unkind, no matter where they are from!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,093,065 times
i dont hate yankees, as a southerner, but first an American, i believe in the Union and diversity of all the regions. The true Yankee protestants of New England, i love and am happy married to one. There are good one all throughout the region--and they gave us the puritan work ethic, yankee ingenuity. there are some people from the north who think they are superior, but I wouldnt call them true Yankees as the yankee would no lower themselves to that kind of behavior. But there are many who think they can look down upon anyone from the south or other places as not having what New York has, thinking they have superior everything but not really knowing much about the world outside of brooklyn or manhattan.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,155,266 times
This is very true Carolinajack, I agree.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:11 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,070,054 times
Its just another label. Society has way to many labels. I consider labels good in science, the beginning of books, on food and thats about it. I cant say I notice a difference other than accents. I think anything else has to do with common familiarities in where they were from. I dont think its the actual individuals that are so different from each other.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,366,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I have never heard the North/South crap, Civil War and this so called "Southern culture" like I have on this website. Most of that stuff I never hear in real life. Just some folks who seem to go over and over it here for some strange reason.
Ditto. This board is really weird sometimes....

Old 03-31-2007, 02:05 AM

134 posts, read 401,691 times
I think it's human nature to generalize and stereotype people that are different from ourselves, but ultimately people are people no matter where you live. Yeah, there are jerks everywhere, but the majority of people are good and honest. I think some people take things way too personally on this board. Lighten up!

Old 03-31-2007, 03:09 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,901,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What's worse, a Yankee in the South, or a Canadian in the South?
A Yankee in the South , for sure . If you are a Canadian , and in the South , the good ol boys , will always know........you will go home............ They will be glad to take your money, they will be "nice" to you , all the while thinking to themselves, and talking to their fellow Southerners............" Its our land , we shed blood for this Place , this bastion of Dixie ways , we hold so dear" " Dam Yankees go home !"...........".and those Liberal Ca nooks , they too can go " !!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:15 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,872,506 times
Growing up I thought Yankee was a few things:

1 - a magazine my grandmother subscribed to (http://www.yankeemagazine.com/index.php) ... I still have some of their old cookbooks from my grandmothers house.
2 - part the name of a few restaurants in New England
3 - the epicenter of all that is unholy and loathsome, the The New York Yankees

I was shocked when I visited the south and was given that moniker, and no, of course there is nothing wrong with being a Yankee, unless you are wearing a pinstriped uniform and holding a baseball bat, and then it is very wrong indeed.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 AM
KGR

12 posts, read 33,288 times
Being from the west coast (Oregon), the whole arguement of Northern culture vs. Southern culture is lost on me. I have met backwater, hillbilly "rednecks" from Northern states and Southerners who thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread because they were from the South. The whole thing is silly. I thought about ending this with some phrase of wisdom such as "We are all Americans!" or "Can't we all just get along?", but really, I only log on here for entertainment and all this petty arguement about Mine Is Bigger Than Yours is just too entertaining! So please, continue...............

Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 AM

364 posts, read 397,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i dont hate yankees, as a southerner, but first an American, i believe in the Union and diversity of all the regions. The true Yankee protestants of New England, i love and am happy married to one. There are good one all throughout the region--and they gave us the puritan work ethic, yankee ingenuity. there are some people from the north who think they are superior, but I wouldnt call them true Yankees as the yankee would no lower themselves to that kind of behavior. But there are many who think they can look down upon anyone from the south or other places as not having what New York has, thinking they have superior everything but not really knowing much about the world outside of brooklyn or manhattan.
You say the same thing over and over again. I guess you have to get it out of your system here because I imagine others around you in real life would get sick of it. As someone else on this thread put it so well, "pitiful nonsense".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.