U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 AM

127 posts, read 347,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunique View Post
The ignorance that you displayed by calling all southerners low class is disturbing. There are a lot of wonderful and educated people in the south. I have met great people from up north too. The truth of the matter is there are good and bad people everywhere. If you are unhappy in the south--do the rest of us a favor and leave. Your ignorant attitude reflects the mediocrity of your IQ.
A large region of people have a culture where they hate people because of something that happened over a hundred years ago. Because you're so sensitive, let's not say it's low class. Let's just say ITS WEIRD. The attitudes have changed but 15 years ago it was bad and I know people who tell me it was worse in the 70s and 80s. I hear it was common to see bumper stickers that said something similar to "do the rest of us a favor and leave." Its a shame the south is changing but its not the transplants who are to blame - its the city leaders who are bringing in the jobs and development.

Last edited by divinemom; 04-30-2007 at 04:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Why anyone would want to move up North from the South is beyond me beside a job transfer and perhaps a huge intolerance to the heat.
I moved because I prefer the Northeastern lifestyle over the Southeastern one. Plain and simple.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:33 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,994,029 times
I really like the north since my trip from Chicago to NYC. Upstate NY is very beautiful.

Need more Yankees in Houston! Please come and change Texas! I'm tired of repressive slaveowners and ultra-conservative rural hicks running my state. Kick out the religious right. I'm a refugee from Texas. Please help.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,890,892 times
Default The South will rise

The South WILL rise again, no doubt about it. Problem is ( for the poor rural southern folks ), its going to be run by YANKEES. just look at places like Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville, they are , and will be the hot spots, and , the core of business and industry ( whats left of it). There are a lot of folks that live in Atlanta for example, that do not have Southern ways, and speech . We are working on second and third generations of this , in the big southern cities.
However , just outside Atlanta, is a place called Georgia, I know , lived in the Mts. 100 miles N. of Atlanta for 18 years. 10 miles from my house is where " Deliverance" was filmed..........enough said !............

Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
I see my why can't we all just be friends approach was met with no acknowledgement lol. The Civil WAr never really did end I guess hehe...oh well.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,576,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I see my why can't we all just be friends approach was met with no acknowledgement lol. The Civil WAr never really did end I guess hehe...oh well.

It's The War Between the States or The War of Northern Aggression.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,890,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's The War Between the States or The War of Northern Aggression.
Its also called ......... " The late Unplesantness ".......I have Southern friends, and thats what they call it !

Old 06-02-2007, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,283 times
Default Not Feelin' Hospitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Hmm I don't hate Northern people I just don't like certain types of behavior that some of them bring to the South.

I was also explaining for people what some people might mean about being called a Yankee it can either be mean or nice.

There is just as much low class in the North as in the South. In fact its a lot easier now for middle class families to afford a nice standard of living in the South than it is in overpriced areas like Boston or New York. Look at something like Orange County California yuck. You have a class of underservants/illegals (which Yes exist too down south), middle class in apartments or small townhomes, and two lawyers or doctors buying an entry level or decent house that used to be the middle class person's house.

I resent the thing also being said about black people. I certainly would speak my mind about not liking something some black person had done to me if that was the case just as I would if someone who was a Northerner or what have you was the case. There's nothing special about black people or about anyone in particular. Another thing Northerners do and I can't stand is the damn political correctness and accusations of Southerners as racist. Sure there may be some racist folks but there are up north too. That statement should have no part of your argument.

There are a lot of things about Southern culture that are impressive. Its the best of the culture that is taken and projected. The Italian culture that you love is the same thing. And who says any of that is rejected? There are plenty of fine Italian restaurants in the South, you can find nice Italian clothes, and you can get Fox Soccer Channel and watch Italian soccer matches if you wish.

Is Northern culture any different -- why yes. You can find more big cosmopolitan cities, faster pace of life/more exciting for some, live in closer proximity to things, different kinds of restaurants. There are also plenty of strip mall areas, low class/working class people, whiny parents and tax and spend liberals, Mr. BMW on-tail, horn bonker, etc if you want me to throw back some reverse stereotypes up north. However, my preference is that I feel rushed and stressed out in the North and prefer the more laid back feel of the South.

Should you care to examine the fine things available in the South and in Southern culture you would find a lot of things that are impressive and worth keeping? Some of the food is delicious, and a lot of time and care are spent preparing big family meals. I like the feeling of graciousness and meal as a time to talk and relax, give and take, talk to your neighbors. There is plenty of Southern food that is unhealthy also. Many less people fry with lard then before and you can find Thai or Italian cooking in any place.

Where else can you find Spanish moss and oaks, flowers in March, magnolia trees, palmettos and a winter short enough to give you a seasonal pause and time for reflection but without being frigid or draining? Where else can you find lazy susan table dining with home cooking and agreeable strangers? I love the big old homes and even the new has ample room for living room if not always character. The stories, the battlefields, the history -- the South has a very rich past. And if you'd slow down to find some of it and ignore some of the monotonous subdeveloping and low class strip mall culture that exists anywhere in America and that has existed in different forms since the beginning of time maybe you'd unearth some of those jewels.

Its not about hate its about being treated with respect. And when such a level of respect is absent from a community like I have seen with a fair number of people up North, then those people need to treat Southerners with respect also.

Hmm someone said Most Northernerss don't care about Southern culture, well that's kind of insulting and not very well appreciated. Since you don't care about where you are living and just want whats good for you that creates a kind of selfish community thats not wanted. Also you will take advantage of cheaper housing costs and jobs made available to you but have no kindness to return in favor. Is it not normal for a dominant culture to want to preserve its heritage? And still yet Southern culture is the dominant culture in the South.
I agree with WallStreet's last statement - Being raised north of Atlanta with ancestors having been here from late 1700's, it's very hard to watch the landscape change here, but what's the hardest and hurts the most is the demeaning attitude of the folks moving here. Where I work, everybody is from somewhere else and that itself I don't understand, moving away from your family. Almost everyday, I hear a denegrating remark about the people in the South. We don't eat right, drive right, talk right, they hate the humidity, the pine trees, the bugs, the red dirt, blame Southerners for bad traffic and say we can't drive, make Red Neck jokes, make fun of behavior, you name it.
One thing nobody seems to understand, most of us here in these rural areas, where development is so overwhelming, owned land. As more and more subdivisions pop up, so do our taxes skyrocket. (latest tax bill before being forced to move $6,700.00). So on top of having to listen to how dumb and stupid we all are, we have to foot the majority of the bill for the folks moving here. It's broken my heart to see the beautiful landscape of my "home" (all surrounding counties) change, but to add insult to injury by having to pay for something you don't want in the first place and then to listen constantly to disparaging remarks has made a huge crack in my heart. I say if everything was better from whence you came, please return........the road runs both ways! So yes, I feel like saying "Go Home Yankee"!! Or leave the attitude behind,,,very rude behavior.

Last edited by Born 'n Bred; 06-02-2007 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,283 times
I agree with WallStreet's last statement - Being raised north of Atlanta with ancestors having been here from late 1700's, it's very hard to watch the landscape change here, but what's the hardest and hurts the most is the demeaning attitude of the folks moving here. Where I work, everybody is from somewhere else and that itself I don't understand, moving away from your family. Almost everyday, I hear a denegrating remark about the people in the South. We don't eat right, drive right, talk right, they hate the humidity, the pine trees, the bugs, the red dirt, blame Southerners for bad traffic and say we can't drive, make Red Neck jokes, make fun of behavior, you name it.
One thing nobody seems to understand, most of us here in these rural areas, where development is so overwhelming, owned land. As more and more subdivisions pop up, so do our taxes skyrocket. (latest tax bill before being forced to move $6,700.00). So on top of having to listen to how dumb and stupid we all are, we have to foot the majority of the bill for the folks moving here. It's broken my heart to see the beautiful landscape of my "home" (all surrounding counties) change, but to add insult to injury by having to pay for something you don't want in the first place and then to listen constantly to disparaging remarks has made a huge crack in my heart. I say if everything was better from whence you came, please return........the road runs both ways! So yes, I feel like saying "Go Home Yankee"!! Or leave the attitude behind,,,very rude behavior.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:58 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
Who cares about being a Yankee or a Confederate? Does it really matter these days? Only things wrong with either of these two are not really wrong at all...it's all stereotypes created from another time and even then I'm not sure they all applied. lol maybe we should put a thread on what's wrong with being American and get some Arab input LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.