U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,777,641 times

Advertisements

I am curious what everyone thinks. I never really thought of myself as one-lol.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Nothing wrong with being a yankee, just dont tell VAsinger. LOL

Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times
Nothin' a-tall.

I'd rather be a Yankee, legally allowed to work in the South than not be a Yankee, but also not be able to stay, like I am now.

Just like there's nothing wrong with being a Southerner with a thick accent, however some people like to joke that there is something wrong or undesireable about it, like maybe they're inbred. But that is not the truth, not even close, and most people know it.

If someone calls you a Yankee, take it in stride; it's probably meant in a playfull way of describing you being from somewhere else, but still American.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,349,405 times
Nah. It is meant in a derogatory manner.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM

lol. That's okay, as my Mom always said- consider the source.

sunny

Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Nah. It is meant in a derogatory manner.
What's worse, a Yankee in the South, or a Canadian in the South?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,578 times
What's wrong with being a Yankee -- well its an uncomplimentary term used by Southerners to those moving in from the North who attempt to impose certain ways of living, mannerisms, demand change etcetera from native Southerners in the community. Its a way for native Southerners to express their frustration with this phenomenon and also its the but of many quite true and funny jokes about how harried life is up there in the Northern lands.

It can also be used to say that you're from the North and its depending on how its said. It could be used jokingly like you silly Yankee or derogatorily if you were rude to someone down South and they felt frustrated with your behavior.

Southern people actually are quite a bit more forgiving and accepting than the reverse move. Why anyone would want to move up North from the South is beyond me beside a job transfer and perhaps a huge intolerance to the heat.

Are you asking what's wrong with imposing Long Island what have you ways of life and culture in the South (as in being a Yankee) or with being simply from the North? Given that your name is Helena (Montana) I would imagine its the latter. Not all Yankees are bad.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 AM

127 posts, read 347,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
What's wrong with being a Yankee -- well its an uncomplimentary term used by Southerners to those moving in from the North who attempt to impose certain ways of living, mannerisms, demand change etcetera from native Southerners in the community. Its a way for native Southerners to express their frustration with this phenomenon and also its the but of many quite true and funny jokes about how harried life is up there in the Northern lands.

It can also be used to say that you're from the North and its depending on how its said. It could be used jokingly like you silly Yankee or derogatorily if you were rude to someone down South and they felt frustrated with your behavior.

Southern people actually are quite a bit more forgiving and accepting than the reverse move. Why anyone would want to move up North from the South is beyond me beside a job transfer and perhaps a huge intolerance to the heat.

Are you asking what's wrong with imposing Long Island what have you ways of life and culture in the South (as in being a Yankee) or with being simply from the North? Given that your name is Helena (Montana) I would imagine its the latter. Not all Yankees are bad.

Ha ha! I bet this person wouldn't dream of saying anything bad about black people but he still has to hate someone. Hate/righteousness/low class is a part of southern culture. And did I say righteousness? That is big in the south. To all the yankees out there living in the south, when someone calls you a yankee don't get all riled up. Do what I do - take it as a compliment that my presence makes someone feel inferior. LOL! Southern culture doesn't impress me. They should study Italian people - classy!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 AM

Smile lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
Ha ha! I bet this person wouldn't dream of saying anything bad about black people but he still has to hate someone. Hate/righteousness/low class is a part of southern culture. And did I say righteousness? That is big in the south. To all the yankees out there living in the south, when someone calls you a yankee don't get all riled up. Do what I do - take it as a compliment that my presence makes someone feel inferior. LOL! Southern culture doesn't impress me. They should study Italian people - classy!
Yes- last time I checked, I havent seen alot of creative artwork here. Actually, they don't even have art museums, which is one of the reasons I'm leaving.

sunny

Old 03-29-2007, 07:16 AM

364 posts, read 396,551 times
OMG Just the same old thread with a different title. This website should be renamed something to reflect the continous North/South debate. Somehow the word 'redneck' is going to come into this thread and then everyones going to loose there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.