U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM

42 posts, read 82,474 times

Advertisements

I live in central PA and want to move somewhere a lot warmer. Winters above 40 F would be great. I don't tolerate the cold very well, physically or mentally. Rain and storms are awesome but I need a decent amount of sunny days.

*Thought about Cali, but can't transition to that COL right now.
*Thought about the south, but can't handle the bugs (Lame, I know, but I can barely look at pictures of them. It's that traumatic.)
*Thought about AZ/NM, but dry air really destroys my skin/hair/nasal passages. (And don't they have bugs, there, too?)

This might sound awfully picky, but to be honest I don't have many other preferences when it comes to where I live. I'm flexible.

A small/medium town within 30 min of a big city would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 10:27 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear View Post
I live in central PA and want to move somewhere a lot warmer. Winters above 40 F would be great. I don't tolerate the cold very well, physically or mentally. Rain and storms are awesome but I need a decent amount of sunny days.

*Thought about the south, but can't handle the bugs (Lame, I know, but I can barely look at pictures of them. It's that traumatic.)
*Thought about AZ/NM, but dry air really destroys my skin/hair/nasal passages. (And don't they have bugs, there, too?)

This might sound awfully picky, but to be honest I don't have many other preferences when it comes to where I live. I'm flexible.

Try Virginia maybe???

Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,119,653 times
Quote:

I think you're out of luck, as you have cut out every warm area in the country. You're either going to have dry heat or you're going to have humidity/bugs.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,000,889 times
A place like Missouri or Southern Illinois wouldn't be bad. It won't be perfect for you but it doesn't get as cold as it does in Pennsylvania. The bugs aren't bad and for the most part the winters are pretty mild. My opinion of course.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,359,827 times
Exactly Miamiman. There are always so many people on this forum that want something that is unreasonable. They want a beach on the Atlantic, but want no chance of a Hurricane, or they want great museums and theaters but don't want a large city, or they want to live somewhere they can ski, but don't want to live near the mountains.........................

Bugs exist almost everywhere. If you want it warm, then you got to trade off a few things. No place is utopia. I noticed there were not many bugs in Denver, but they have dry heat. Their air is pretty dry, but you can always get a humidifier. You might like Denver. If your name derives from what I think it does, they have a lot of things you will be grateful for out there. Just by a humidifier and deal with a dry nose and skin. It may be better than these suicidal depressing grey Pennsylvania days.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,047,165 times
Round Rock, Texas (a suburb of Austin)

Austin is in the transition zone between humid and dry

Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 PM

3,113 posts, read 6,494,960 times
If 200K is big enough for you, look into Lubbock, Texas. Its average high in winter is 52. It is dry enough to have less bugs, bearable summers, and 250 days of sunshine a year, but wet enough to keep things green in town. The COL is one of the lowest in the nation. DM me if you're interested and have any questions.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 PM

I'm not looking for utopia or anything close to it. I've seen far worse threads.

Thank you to those who offered info!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Bugs exist almost everywhere. If you want it warm, then you got to trade off a few things. No place is utopia. I noticed there were not many bugs in Denver, but they have dry heat. Their air is pretty dry, but you can always get a humidifier. You might like Denver. If your name derives from what I think it does, they have a lot of things you will be grateful for out there. Just by a humidifier and deal with a dry nose and skin. It may be better than these suicidal depressing grey Pennsylvania days.
Hey, I used to live in Pittsburgh, too! How cloudy

Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
Quote:

Don't pick Tennessee. We're so green-looking because we get a decent amount of rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or