U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:49 PM

363 posts, read 894,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekarl17
1 question PLEASE...how do you know who is illegal and not? Come on guys don't do racial/ethnic profiling. Probably, Cleveland and Pittsburgh + other metioned have undocumented illegal immigrants that tend to look more European but you never know. I know most of these comments are cater towards the Hispanic population. Please, Mexico is our closer friendly neighbor, don't hate, as we already do it to Canadians.

Mexico is not our friendly neighbor - being the No 1 exporter of un-documented workers, drugs and illegally operated trucks. Canada oth, is our friendly neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times
We hear about illegal aliens, hear the stories about them overunning southwest states, and now even states in the southeast. Here in rural central Michigan I never see any. We have to be one of the places with the least amount of illegals. We are a long long way from Mexico, and our climate is harsh compared to that of Mexico. Im sure those hard facts are the reason we do not have many here.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,991,204 times
Upstate NY doesn't seem to have a *huge* Hispanic population, and I can't comment on their immigration status. We have not had booming construction here (much like Michigan, I'm betting), so the phenomenon of immigrants hanging out on street corners or parking lots looking for work, is never seen here. There are immigrants (probably many illegal) who work on fruit and dairy farms here. For some reason the government likes to detain and harrass them in the Rochester area particularly.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM

363 posts, read 894,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
We hear about illegal aliens, hear the stories about them overunning southwest states, and now even states in the southeast. Here in rural central Michigan I never see any.
When it comes to picking apples, peaches, blueberries, cranberries and cherries - you will find them.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 PM

56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Upstate NY doesn't seem to have a *huge* Hispanic population, and I can't comment on their immigration status. We have not had booming construction here (much like Michigan, I'm betting), so the phenomenon of immigrants hanging out on street corners or parking lots looking for work, is never seen here. There are immigrants (probably many illegal) who work on fruit and dairy farms here. For some reason the government likes to detain and harrass them in the Rochester area particularly.
I think that is because many of them go to Wayne and Orleans Counties to work and both of those counties are in the Rochester metro. In the past, Black migrant workers from Florida and other Southern states used to do the work in the orchard and vineyards in that area. Some still do.

I've seen a few Hispanic construction workers around Syracuse University and in North Syracuse, but besides that, it is rare in Upstate NY, to my knowledge. They don't hang out on street corners looking for work either.

You do have some towns with high Hispanic populations in Upstate NY like Amsterdam, Dunkirk and Ellenville, among others. Those communities have been there for a while in relatively large numbers and most of them tend to come from Puerto Rico.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I don't know if that link will stay. The states they have no information on I think are even lower than Louisiana in estimated number of illegal immigrants. These eight states are

The Dakotas
Maine
Montana
New Hampshire
Vermont
West Virginia
Wyoming

The American Community Survey has percentages on "foreign born" by city, but doesn't indicate illegals. I'm not sure I can make the link work on it, but Charleston, West Virginia looks quite low. Of cities outside the above states Duluth, Minnesota and Jackson, Mississippi also look quite small in foreign-born residents.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...T&-CONTEXT=gct

Of more major cities Cincinnati looks to have a high percentage of "English-only speaking households" which might imply a low percent of illegal immigrants.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h14.html

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,792 times
For now, I live in Marshalltown, IA & they are everywhere. We have a meat pacing plant ( Swift & Company) that hires them & farm-hand jobs. Even with the raids that Swifts gets it's still outta control. We have a big drug problem now & high theft rate. I've watched my hometown go down the toilet & the cops never want to do anything. Many people who live here complain about the cops doing nothing when a Hispanic is caught doing a crime, one we know should be cause for arrest. Our school system sucks ( look us up on greatschools.net) & there are many fights on a daily basis. Many families now open-enroll their children in near by schools. The one my children go to, the student body is 13% open enrolled children. Before you move check out the places well, visit them. Just going to our Walmart show a lot. Check out theirs schools test scores, looking @ crime survey's doesn't always tell you a lot ( the cops have to be doing their jobs for it to be accurate)

Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
Mankato, Minnesota has very few undocumented immigrants. Although the city is very diverse by Upper Midwestern standards (11% minority population) and there are thousands of Hispanics, most are legal immigrants or citizens and speak English (as well as Spanish). Minnesota in general doesn't have much in the way of undocumented workers.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Dothan, Alabama looks like it might not have many. The majority of the Hispanic population there looks to be US born.

http://www.city-data.com/races/races...n-Alabama.html

Springfield, Illinois the Hispanic population looks even more US-born although the Asian population is a bit more foreign-born. They are low on non-English households.

http://www.city-data.com/races/races...-Illinois.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/h14.html

Not sure how useful that is to the question.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
That's not the reason - Albuquerque is one of the largest cities in the SW, but it doesn't have the high number as do Salt Lake, Phoenix, Denver or even Dallas. The state has I25 running straight up to Colorado, Wyoming & Montana - which is where many of them end up. Yes, they follow the AG route, but also, b/c they know they won't be arrested. Many of our largest companies hire them and get away with it - because they are TOO BIG to fail.
I know its frustrating that companies would still do that. Personally the penalty for hiring illegal immigrants should be the federal government siezes the assets of a company and anyone responsible for the hiring, basiclaly using the same logic as drug forfieture laws. If some fortune 500 company is caught with letting such things happen still take all their assets as penalty. Make the penalty so great that by risking the existance of a company and someones complete assets, shareholders would demand compliance since one penalty could be to void all shares of a company. The idea of TOO BIG to fail is a joke since it means too big to do anything to.

On topic more, I do know that St. Louis metro is an example of a metro area with a small percentage of undocumented/illegal immigrants. Numbers are estimated to be not much more than 5000 out of a nearly 3m metro area. That puts percentages where nationally its around 3-3.5% of population at around .14-.2% in the St. Louis area. (Missouri is near the bottom amongst states at around .3-.35% with most in the Western edge of the state) Though there is a line of thought that this might rapidly change in the near future since the lines of work illegal immigrants go towards are largely poulated by people at least 40-50 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.