U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,986,088 times

Advertisements

Undocumented immigrants go where the money is - the lawn mowing jobs, the construction jobs, the nanny jobs, etc.

Where I am, in upstate NY, it's pretty much unheard of for there to be illegal immigrant day laborers hanging out on street corners looking for work. They're just not here. Because the construction's not here, the money's not here. The illegal immigrants are mostly working on fruit and dairy farms, and they seem to be very quiet and keep to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 04:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,116,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
There are too many "legal" residents in Ohio that work low paying jobs.......corporate america and our government's trade policies have made sure of that!
I almost think in a number of fields it is organized labor that kept the illegal immigrants out. It also has the effect that many of the fields that they tend to go to pay much higher in places like Ohio than many parts of the country. Though one thing that I notice is many of these jobs are held by older people who will be retiring in the next 10-20 years.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,358,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I understand ekarl17's point. Just because a person looks like they may be from Mexico, it doesn't mean they're illegal. The title of the thread is places with the fewest undocumented immigrants. Even if they are Mexican (or from some other place south of the Rio Grande), there are many who have legal documentation.
Just because I look white doesn't mean I assume every Mexican is illegal... Nuff of this reverse racism BS. There is a major problem in our country and that is Illegals. The majority of illegals are Mexican/Hispanic.

Actually, I just helped a dude today at work who is from Guatemala, here illegally, working for cash. and I live in Duluth Minnesota, 3 hrs from Canada.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:35 PM

I used to work for a Landscaping company where 90% of the employees were Mexican. They'd illegally make $10,000 in the summer, then pack up and head to Mexico and live like kings for the winter. Again, I am from Minnesota.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
How do you know they're illegal?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM

I know the owner of the company and he knows they're illegal. Pays them cash. They cannot drive the vehicles, so the white boys drive the vehicles and they just mow.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I know the owner of the company and he knows they're illegal. Pays them cash. They cannot drive the vehicles, so the white boys drive the vehicles and they just mow.
Personally the owner should be arrested if he is knowingly doing this. The fact that so many companies get away with basically economic treason is infuriating. I argue the punishment for this should be the federal goverment siezes all company assets and personal assets of anyone involved in the hiring along with stripping of all business licenses and the owner banned from ever obtaining one ever along with revokation of all professional licenses and certification. Make the punishment so severe nobody dares try to do this.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
The following new study by Pew Research might be relevant.

Illegal Immigration in the U.S.: State-by-State Totals - Graphic - Pew Hispanic Center (http://pewhispanic.org/unauthorized-immigration/ - broken link)

Maine, Vermont, and West Virgina look to be the lowest. Alaska, Montana, and North Dakota also look very low.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM

908 posts, read 1,814,678 times
New England area has pretty low illegal immigration in general. Land is too expensive and there are not enough jobs for illegals to prosper, and the communities in New England are more parochial than elsewhere in the country. Most New England states don't even have county governments, just small town halls.

Even in Massachusetts, the liberal bastion, most of the illegals are concentrated in a handful of midlevel cities (Framingham, Lawrence, Lowell), they don't really mingle with the rest of the population.

NYC/NJ siphons most of the illegals away also.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The following new study by Pew Research might be relevant.

Illegal Immigration in the U.S.: State-by-State Totals - Graphic - Pew Hispanic Center (http://pewhispanic.org/unauthorized-immigration/ - broken link)

Maine, Vermont, and West Virgina look to be the lowest. Alaska, Montana, and North Dakota also look very low.
Percentagewise Missouri is still low compared to states with metro areas of at least one million. But it has as a percentage tripled since 2000 from .3% to 1%. From my observation it is higher in the Western part of the state and in areas related to meat processing while still very low in the St. Louis area for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.