Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

You wouldn't be able to tell a Canadian, legal or otherwise, from the average American. Eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
California, Texas, Ny, Illinois and Florida are the top 5 for illegals immigrants according to US Citizenship and Immigration Services. These were 2000 numbers though.
Hawaii, Alaska, Louisiana, District of Columbia and Mississippi are the 5 lowest.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
California, Texas, Ny, Illinois and Florida are the top 5 for illegals immigrants according to US Citizenship and Immigration Services. These were 2000 numbers though.
Hawaii, Alaska, Louisiana, District of Columbia and Mississippi are the 5 lowest.
But it would be different on a percentage pasis. From what I remember hearing Louisiana had a large influx of illegal immigrants after Katrina so it's likely much higher now.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
But it would be different on a percentage pasis. From what I remember hearing Louisiana had a large influx of illegal immigrants after Katrina so it's likely much higher now.
According to the site I referenced they only had about 5000 illegals so even if the number was 10 times that now they would not even crack the top 20.

The per capita changes the list a bit though. Colorado and Utah surprised me by being in the top 10 per capita and Florida at 15th highest per capita, thought it would be a little higher.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Interesting Ohio is near the bottom for illegal immigrants. It doesn't have a great economy, but I was thinking maybe it had low paying jobs.

Kenton, Ohio is a medium-small town that looks to have a very small-percent of non-English homes.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h12.html

Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
According to the site I referenced they only had about 5000 illegals so even if the number was 10 times that now they would not even crack the top 20.

The per capita changes the list a bit though. Colorado and Utah surprised me by being in the top 10 per capita and Florida at 15th highest per capita, thought it would be a little higher.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I just figured Louisiana might have a much higher growth than in most states, still low but much higher percentage-wise than before. It doesn't suprise me that Colorado and Utah are that high, mainly since it is closer to the border. Florida isn't as high as people think since many of the immigrants are legal, and combine with a large population you need that many more to have an equal percentage as compared to other states.

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I just figured Louisiana might have a much higher growth than in most states, still low but much higher percentage-wise than before. It doesn't suprise me that Colorado and Utah are that high, mainly since it is closer to the border. Florida isn't as high as people think since many of the immigrants are legal, and combine with a large population you need that many more to have an equal percentage as compared to other states.
I wouldn't be surprised to see LA much higher next time the numbers come out either. As far as UT and CO I was mainly thinking of what industry they would be working in, I'll be the first to admit I don't keep up on agriculture numbers but that is one area that does attract many illegals and I didn't think those states had too huge an agriculture base.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see LA much higher next time the numbers come out either. As far as UT and CO I was mainly thinking of what industry they would be working in, I'll be the first to admit I don't keep up on agriculture numbers but that is one area that does attract many illegals and I didn't think those states had too huge an agriculture base.
I am thinking in those states construction. Both are rather fast growing states so construction has to occur regardless of economy to deal with new people. Utah especially due to having a birthrate in the state that resembles the 1950's due to religion. Also in many other states with a housing bust a large number of illegal immigrants have left either to other states or more likely back home. I do remember seeing numbers that showed the overall number of illegal immigrants has shrunk since 2006 but am curious as to how many left by now. It is mainly economic reasons combined with some increase in enforcment. But also since most only stay a few years anyway and less are entering than are leaving.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Interesting Ohio is near the bottom for illegal immigrants. It doesn't have a great economy, but I was thinking maybe it had low paying jobs.

Kenton, Ohio is a medium-small town that looks to have a very small-percent of non-English homes.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h12.html
There are too many "legal" residents in Ohio that work low paying jobs.......corporate america and our government's trade policies have made sure of that!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
I believe La has more udi's than it did in 2000, in 2010. I don't know exactly the numbers or who is/isn't, but I see many more Hispanics than I once did. Not saying that they are the only udis as I'm sure there are some from elsewhere to.

When a state has people moving on to other places, some other people must come in and fill those shoes. We are not really awash with native people here anymore and regardless of what all those census findings say, I can't say they portray the whole picture. Especially when you have people that refuse to talk to census takers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.