U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:31 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,096,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
It seems most people that are only a portion indian are cherokee or other southern tribes. at least from these responses. any specific hypthosises as to why?
My guess is that it's related to European settlement patterns. When people moved to the Northeast, they did so initially for religious freedoms. When people moved to the South, they did so for social mobility and work. Entire families moved to the Northeast while mostly individuals, almost exclusively men, moved to the South, an area full of Cherokees. The Cherokee were a large nation in the South, occupying most of the Carolinas and Georgia, along with portions of Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. Well, those men who transplanted to the South got bored and lonely after their long days plowing the fields, and there was a huge supply of rapeable and/or marriageable women on the other side of the forest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,695,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
It was never a stigma in my house- I'm 1/8th Cherokee. My Paternal grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee- she looked very Cherokee. There's probably some Lumbee in there, to. Unfortuantely I look like a typical American of Irish descent, while my Dad is lean and olive skinned. I feel cheated.
I hear ya. With sandy brown hair and (argh) green eyes(that's dark green like olives), I don't fit the Indian look either. Oh well.LOL

Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 PM

56,755 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
My guess is that it's related to European settlement patterns. When people moved to the Northeast, they did so initially for religious freedoms. When people moved to the South, they did so for social mobility and work. Entire families moved to the Northeast while mostly individuals, almost exclusively men, moved to the South, an area full of Cherokees. The Cherokee were a large nation in the South, occupying most of the Carolinas and Georgia, along with portions of Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. Well, those men who transplanted to the South got bored and lonely after their long days plowing the fields, and there was a huge supply of rapeable and/or marriageable women on the other side of the forest...
Also keep in mind that there were many Irish indentured servants in the South and it seems like there are quite a few people that are both in the South. So, that could be why as well.

I'm also surprised that people don't think about why many Black people have Irish surnames in the US too. I think that is a big reason why. Actually, I believe the first child of an interracial relationship in the US was between a Black male and an Irish female that was an indentured servant with the surname of Butler and it occurred in Virginia.Here's an example of what I'm talking about as well:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Augustine_Healy

and another example:http://books.google.com/books?id=Sco...esult&resnum=1

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-11-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 04:50 PM

48,284 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
That sounds very possible. The reason for me having Choctaw in my blood could have to do with the fact that some of the slaves who managed to escaped hid out with the Native Americans in some cases. In other cases, some Native Americans kept slaves. Either way, I still have Choctaw in me.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 AM

591 posts, read 748,038 times
1/64th Narragansett, we were one of the first to interact with Whites, we totally intermarried and got absorbed.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 PM

56,252 posts, read 54,712,832 times
None whatsoever.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,994,772 times
I didn't think I had any, but I've heard from the family genealogist that I have very distant American Indian ancestry.

One thing on Cherokee I think there is or was some tendency to name an Indian ancestor as "Cherokee" when the person didn't really know for sure. Cherokees were one of the "civilized tribes" that developed a written language and such. Although what might matter more is they were one of the larger tribes and were a better known name than many. Also I think some tribes were placed within the Cherokee for one reason or other. Looking it up the Delaware and Shawnee of Oklahoma were, for a time, within the Cherokee Nation before regaining a separate status. The Natchez were largely submerged into the Cherokee by the looks of it.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,144,912 times
Great grandmother on my Father's side was 100% Louisiana Caddo.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 7,325,109 times
I heard stories from my grandfather but I'm not 100% convince. A lot of Black-Americans claim to have a cherokee or blackfoot great grandmother but a lot of times it is shown to be false. I read somewhere that only like 5%(or was it a little bit more or less?) of Black Americans have at least 12.5%(1/8th) Native American ancestry or more. I have a hairy body(stomach, chest, and even some on my back and shoulders). So if anything, there is a higher possibility that my non African ancestry is mostly European.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,792,852 times
I have Cherokee in me. As do many people in South La.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or