U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 AM

1,230 posts, read 2,842,772 times

Advertisements

Yes, Blackfoot and Cherokee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:58 AM

277 posts, read 483,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is possible. For instance, people like Jessica Biel, Brett Favre, Oprah Winfrey and Morgan Freeman are part Choctaw supposedly too.
The only person in that short list who descends from a documented Choctaw ancestor is Brett Favre. His 5th great grandmother was Choctaw. He is 1/128th Native American in lineage. He is far removed from being "part" Choctaw.
I may have missed the article or her having said so, but I've not heard Oprah claim affiliation with the Choctaw people.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 05-31-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 AM

1,240 posts, read 978,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
The stigma against having Native relatives just lifted recently?
Most white Americans have a Native or African relative back there somewhere, whether they know it or not. Basically all black Americans have non-African relatives back there somewhere. I think the estimated admixture was around 30% European or something.
This usually didn't go both ways. There were slave masters who raped slaves to increase the slave population but these mulattoes didn't procreate with whites. If a white and a black had children, the mixed child was considered black. This was the one drop rule.

I'm suspicious of a lot of people who say they have native ancestry as well. For years my mother told me her grandmother was an indian. I do research myself and I find photos of her grandmother's parents. They were totally white. Census records say white too. My family tree has been researched and there's been no evidence of any indian ancestry and family DNA tests all had the same results: 100% European.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:41 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,127,721 times
We recently discovered that there's Ottawa Indian on my mom's side of the family.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:03 PM

277 posts, read 483,631 times
Most White Americans are actually the least mixed, as a matter of act, not mixed at all as an overall population in the US.

The genetic literacy report;

"What genetics is showing is that in fact white Americans are shockingly European to an incredibly high degree for a population with roots on this continent for 400 years. If we removed all the history that we take for granted we’d be amazed that the indigenous peoples had so little demographic impact, and, that the larger numbers of people of partial African ancestry did not move into the general “white” population."

"…whiteness in modern America turns out to be not very murky at all. These findings of 0.19 percent black and 0.18 percent American Indian are tiny numbers.

Think about your family tree back nine generations ago, which would mostly be in the 1700s. You have 512 slots in your family tree nine generations ago (two to the ninth power). The 23andMe numbers suggest that for the average white American, 1 of your 512 ancestors nine generations ago was black and 1 of 512 was Native American."

Claims that US is a genetic melting pot appear overblown–if you’re white | Genetic Literacy Project

There is no "Native American" admixture within the US "White" population that would support the enormous amount of claims by the White community of having Indian ancestor(s). This is why most White Americans who test, find zero Native American in their admixture in addition to undocumented ancestors. Only about 1-2% of the overall "White" population produce results Black or Native American, however, this is part of the US population that identifies solely as White American with no known Black or Native American ancestors. In other words exceptions.

The fact that White Americans are the least mixed should be of no surprise being that their ancestors exacted harsh segregation laws which most of their ancestors not only followed but were often in agreement with. Racist attitudes towards Indians and Blacks was accepted and never denounced.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:08 PM

1,068 posts, read 738,734 times
There were very few Irish in the South pre civil war, They would be ( Northern Irish) and they were of Scots-Northern English descent. Some 25% of African Americans will have British, perhaps German, Dutch blood ( not Southern Irish). They arrived en masse 1850 onwards, mainly to Northern Industrial towns ( where there was no slavery).

Old 05-31-2015, 03:23 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
Not to my knowledge, and I know a fair amount about my ancestry. But my father's father's side is not filled in completely within America, and traces back to Virginia in 1720, so there could be surprises in there from undocumented unions.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM

56,755 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
There were very few Irish in the South pre civil war, They would be ( Northern Irish) and they were of Scots-Northern English descent. Some 25% of African Americans will have British, perhaps German, Dutch blood ( not Southern Irish). They arrived en masse 1850 onwards, mainly to Northern Industrial towns ( where there was no slavery).
Some Irish came as indentured servants as well. I don't what the percentage is, but there were some in the South

Also, it is very incorrect to state that Northern states didn't have slavery. For an example, NY went to "gradual emancipation" in 1799, which in turn abolished slavery in the state in 1827 and I believe that it didn't become completely official until the 1840's. There were other Northern states involved in the institution as well.

Also, the European percentage of the average African Anerican is around 17-18%.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:34 PM

56,755 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
This usually didn't go both ways. There were slave masters who raped slaves to increase the slave population but these mulattoes didn't procreate with whites. If a white and a black had children, the mixed child was considered black. This was the one drop rule.

I'm suspicious of a lot of people who say they have native ancestry as well. For years my mother told me her grandmother was an indian. I do research myself and I find photos of her grandmother's parents. They were totally white. Census records say white too. My family tree has been researched and there's been no evidence of any indian ancestry and family DNA tests all had the same results: 100% European.
For one, that would be more than "one drop", which is the most overblown statement in this regard.

Many that claim Native ancestry actually have African ancestry. Here is an example: Melungeon DNA Study Reveals Ancestry, Upsets 'A Whole Lot Of People'

Old 05-31-2015, 04:14 PM

1,068 posts, read 738,734 times
Most white slaves, family servants( correct term) would be poor Welsh, English, Scots mainly, not Irish. again there is this romantic link to being red indian and Irish. ( see silly Chuck Norris). The nearest I can think would be Indian late colonial times mixing with Scots-Irish backwoodsmen. ( Again Scottish/ English Borderers). The Irish en masse did not arrive until 1850`s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or