U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:55 PM

56,371 posts, read 54,802,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some Irish came as indentured servants as well. I don't what the percentage is, but there were some in the South

Also, it is very incorrect to state that Northern states didn't have slavery. For an example, NY went to "gradual emancipation" in 1799, which in turn abolished slavery in the state in 1827 and I believe that it didn't become completely official until the 1840's. There were other Northern states involved in the institution as well.

Also, the European percentage of the average African Anerican is around 17-18%.
Yeah, read the town minutes from Bristol, Rhode Island, in the 1600s, when a shopkeeper requested that the slave whipping post be relocated because the blood spatters were getting on his store windows. Rhode Island was home and port of entry to the biggest slave trader in the colonies, the De Wolfe family.

Sojourner Truth was born a slave to a Dutch family in upstate New York.

New Jersey had "gradual emancipation" also. Slavery did not truly end there until the ratification of the 13th Amendment in 1865.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 PM

93 posts, read 69,753 times
I am not Native American but I share the same ancestry as the "Indian" man with a tear in his eye from that 1970s commercial about littering and polluting. We are both Italian.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM

15,568 posts, read 17,804,904 times
I am 1/128th Chocktaw.

You cannot understand my people's suffering.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:32 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,439,596 times
1/8 blackfoot. never met any, probably never will. They all seem to live way up north beyond the great wall.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 AM

747 posts, read 725,425 times
I'm 9/32 Choctaw, 1/4 Navajo, and 1/32 Cherokee. Both of my mom's parents had to learn English in school; my grandpa's native tongue was Navajo and my grandma's is Choctaw.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:46 PM

628 posts, read 761,833 times
No, I'm Jewish.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 AM

9,902 posts, read 21,182,062 times
I am supposedly 1/64th Cherokee but it would take the expensive DNA test to prove it. I suspect most of the mixed offspring between the original White settlers and Natives were absorbed into the Native communities as the "One Drop" mentality was pervasive. Most Indians and Blacks have large amounts of White ancestry while most Whites have only European ancestry. I think it would be cool to have Indian ancestry, I just know everyone has stories of an Indian ancestor and it's rarely true. PBS has that genealogy show and only 1 person tested had any.

I did have an aunt that married a real Cherokee man from the Smokey Mountains. Very cool man.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM

279 posts, read 484,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am supposedly 1/64th Cherokee but it would take the expensive DNA test to prove it. I suspect most of the mixed offspring between the original White settlers and Natives were absorbed into the Native communities as the "One Drop" mentality was pervasive. Most Indians and Blacks have large amounts of White ancestry while most Whites have only European ancestry. I think it would be cool to have Indian ancestry, I just know everyone has stories of an Indian ancestor and it's rarely true. PBS has that genealogy show and only 1 person tested had any.

I did have an aunt that married a real Cherokee man from the Smokey Mountains. Very cool man.
You cannot prove Cherokee ancestry with a "DNA test." The only thing a DNA test (autosomal admixture test) can provide is DNA similarity with database samples, which are normally Mesoamerica samples from Central/South America. Having DNA similarity can point to ancestry from the Americas.
The only thing to verify Cherokee ancestry is a documented paper trail to the Cherokee people.

Glad you think it's cool. So typical.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 PM

13,368 posts, read 7,055,864 times
Nope! Not even a chance. My whole family came to this country in the 20th century; I know who they are and they are all European.

I also think that claims of Amerindian admixture among white Americans are highly exaggerated. Cherokee princess tales are pretty much never credible. The research findings that AppalachianGumbo posted tend to undermine the claims of widespread mixing between whites and Amerindians.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,110,497 times
Doubt it. Maybe 1/8th of my ancestry could be of colonial heritage that I can't trace, but New England and mid-Atlantic whites, especially right on the coast didn't mix much with Native Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or