U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,273,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I also think that claims of Amerindian admixture among white Americans are highly exaggerated. Cherokee princess tales are pretty much never credible. The research findings that AppalachianGumbo posted tend to undermine the claims of widespread mixing between whites and Amerindians.
According to Skip Gates, about 3 to 4 percent of Americans claiming to fully white have some amount of African ancestry.

Quote:
And what about the percentages of "black" or sub-Saharan ancestry in the white American community? That will be the subject of another column. But suffice it to say here that, according to Mountain, "The bottom line is that 3 percent to 4 percent of people likely to consider themselves as all 'white' have some African ancestry -- between 0.5 percent and 5 percent."
How Mixed Are African Americans? - The Root

If only 3 to 4 percent of "Whites" have any African ancestry, then the percentage with Amerindian ancestry would have to be much, much lower. I don't see how you could have a lot of admixture when native populations were decimated to such a great extent. It also didn't help that there's been a strong belief in racial purity for most of American history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Black folks always say that.
Don Cheadle said he had Native American ancestry as well. Turns out he was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZXY3dYzE0

Old 06-16-2015, 12:20 PM

32,112 posts, read 33,023,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
I recently discovered that my great grandmother was Cherokee. It was a family secret that was told by one of my aunts on her deathbed. I have read that stories like mine are occurring more and more since there is no longer a stigma associated with being American Indian.
I don't know one way or another as I have a great-grandfather whose biological father is/was unknown.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:58 PM

277 posts, read 483,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Don Cheadle said he had Native American ancestry as well. Turns out he was wrong.

Ancestry inference (Ethnic DNA Test) cannot tell you, you have absolutely no ancestry accept but a small time frame of your ancestry because each generation DNA is lost with the definite cliff at 7 generations (5th great grandparent). These tests are optimal (meaning at best) 3rd generation and if you're lucky, a 4th/5th great grandparent may show up.
Cheadle could have an American Indian ancestor back 7 generations. Genetic ancestry and genealogical ancestry are two different things. All ones ancestry do not show up on a DNA ancestry test, be it mtDNA, YDA or autosomal mapping. There are always limitations.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
Ancestry inference (Ethnic DNA Test) cannot tell you, you have absolutely no ancestry accept but a small time frame of your ancestry because each generation DNA is lost with the definite cliff at 7 generations (5th great grandparent). These tests are optimal (meaning at best) 3rd generation and if you're lucky, a 4th/5th great grandparent may show up.
Cheadle could have an American Indian ancestor back 7 generations. Genetic ancestry and genealogical ancestry are two different things. All ones ancestry do not show up on a DNA ancestry test, be it mtDNA, YDA or autosomal mapping. There are always limitations.
They didn't give him a DNA test. They traced his lineage through public records and discovered he had no American Indian descendants.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:28 PM

It's interesting that so many posters claim Cherokee ancestry. This is from an NPR interview.

Quote:
PEMBER: Yeah, and I'm now convinced that every third person in the three-state region here has a Cherokee great-great-grandmother.

(LAUGHTER)

CONAN: They were busy.

PEMBER: They were very busy. You know, a lot - there were more tribes than the Cherokees who went on the Trail of Tears. There were a bunch of other people, you know, the Muskogee and the Chickasaw. But for some reason, you know, the Cherokees get really laid claim to. They must be, like, the, probably, the most prolific group of people on the face of the Earth.

(LAUGHTER)

PEMBER: So, you know, I think maybe there have been films about the Trail of Tears, or - and I do think that the Cherokees were - you know, they did particularly suffer, you know, when they were marched from their homelands to the Indian Territories in Oklahoma. But it's just sort an interesting phenomenon that we find folks always - it's always - and it's always on the maternal side, which I think is interesting. It's always a grandmother, a great-great-grandmother, and she always has coal-black hair. That's always the thing I get when I have people approach me. So that's just very interesting.
Proving Native American Ancestry Can Be Tricky : NPR

Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 PM

277 posts, read 483,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They didn't give him a DNA test. They traced his lineage through public records and discovered he had no American Indian descendants.
Okay, thanks. I know he has ancestors who are documented Chickasaw (memory) to the Freedmen rolls. I may be wrong.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:00 AM

233 posts, read 249,286 times
One of my great uncles on the white side of my family claims to be partly descended from an "Indian princess" or some such nonsense, based on a story his grandmother supposedly told him. My grandfather and his other brother never heard this story and have no clue where he got this idea from.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 AM

56,203 posts, read 54,662,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
One of my great uncles on the white side of my family claims to be partly descended from an "Indian princess" or some such nonsense, based on a story his grandmother supposedly told him. My grandfather and his other brother never heard this story and have no clue where he got this idea from.
Lol. My younger brothers told my sister who does the family genealogy that our oldest brother, now deceased, told them we have Indian ancestry. Uh, no. Not according to everything we know on all sides of the family and not according to DNA. Sometimes people just make stuff up. My bro loved to make stuff up. We are as white as you get. Dutch, British, Scandinavian. 3% Iberian peninsula.

My grandmother did have black hair--and all of her ancestors came from The Netherlands. Maybe it was the Iberian.; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or