U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
Reputation: 1973

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The cost of living is CHEAP for a reason. You say that wages are at or above average. That is definitely NOT true at all for my career field. The wages in KC were HORRIBLE.
Also, I think the bitter rivalry between MO and KS and the "state line" issue hampers progess in terms of overal bi-state cooperation and continued economic development.
I agree that KC tends to be too overly family oriented, and many younger single people leave for other metro areas. The suburbs in KC are very spread out and lean conservative (especially JOCO). The suburbs also seem to have many more churches per capita compared to other suburbs in Upper Midwest metros. After all, KC is pretty far south and is in the Bible Belt.
It does seem to be on the northern fringes of the Bible Belt (not that I care one way or the other), but I don't think it has that much to do with being family oriented. There are other cities well much farther south, well within the confines of the Bible Belt, that are very attractive to singles. Also, cities farther north seem like fine places to raise a family as well. Just depends on what one wants, I suppose.

I agree that Kansas City would be a much different, and probably better place without that state line.

In my line of work, and a few others I'm familiar with, KC is well in line with other cities in terms of wages. Even much better than some. Compared to Little Rock, one can make 15-25% more in KC, while the cost of living is very similar. Kansas City can be much cheaper, or a whole lot more expensive, depending on which are you choose to live in.
In Little Rock, a "safe neighborhood" means either prohibitively expensive, a fixer-upper, or out in the boonies. In KC, it just means a little bit older, less trendy area that's perfectly fine otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 PM
 
Location: IN
20,853 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Reputation: 13304
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
It does seem to be on the northern fringes of the Bible Belt (not that I care one way or the other), but I don't think it has that much to do with being family oriented. There are other cities well much farther south, well within the confines of the Bible Belt, that are very attractive to singles. Also, cities farther north seem like fine places to raise a family as well. Just depends on what one wants, I suppose.

I agree that Kansas City would be a much different, and probably better place without that state line.

In my line of work, and a few others I'm familiar with, KC is well in line with other cities in terms of wages. Even much better than some. Compared to Little Rock, one can make 15-25% more in KC, while the cost of living is very similar. Kansas City can be much cheaper, or a whole lot more expensive, depending on which are you choose to live in.
In Little Rock, a "safe neighborhood" means either prohibitively expensive, a fixer-upper, or out in the boonies. In KC, it just means a little bit older, less trendy area that's perfectly fine otherwise.
I am in the Geographic Information Systems career field and most positions in KC wanted to pay me a mid to low range hourly wage. I found that to be completely absurd when other towns and cities were offering me a very respectable salary. It could have been just when I was looking at the time, but KC could not compete on wages based on my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The cost of living is CHEAP for a reason. You say that wages are at or above average. That is definitely NOT true at all for my career field. The wages in KC were HORRIBLE.
Also, I think the bitter rivalry between MO and KS and the "state line" issue hampers progess in terms of overal bi-state cooperation and continued economic development.
I agree that KC tends to be too overly family oriented, and many younger single people leave for other metro areas. The suburbs in KC are very spread out and lean conservative (especially JOCO). The suburbs also seem to have many more churches per capita compared to other suburbs in Upper Midwest metros. After all, KC is pretty far south and is in the Bible Belt.
I'd have to agree with a couple of the other posts saying that KC is not at the edge of the Bible Belt. I agree that it is not. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the KC area is decidedly anti Christian. Once you get out into the rural areas things change but the immediate KC metro area is not very Christian and filled with fake Conservatives that support the big spending, in your face and intrusive government that some of us real Conservatives have come to hate. Johnson County Kansas is nothing more than a low rent version of southern California and its filled with fake, pretentious and uptight nouveau riche people.

To best illustrate my point: A couple of years ago I accidentally ran into a woman from my home state of Connecticut at the North Kansas City Post Office. We got to chatting about CT and KC and I learned that not only was she a nurse at a local hospital but also a very devoted Catholic who's best friend was a Nun. Her impression was, after living here for six months that the place was anything BUT Christian and she went so far as to say the people here are a bunch of fake, overly judgmental people. I agree with that assessment. I was taught in Sunday School that you are not supposed to judge others and that should be left to God. In other words, live and let live. The people in the KC area do not live by that philosophy.

My personal preference would be to look into some of the smaller metro areas of Missouri or Kansas. Places like St. Joseph, Springfield or Columbia would probably be better places to settle down. In fact, due to the economy I am going to have to stay in the KC area indefinitely and as a result, I am planning to move out of a KC suburb and into a rural town some 30 to 50 miles out of the city. The people out there are more laid back and down to earth than the people I've had the misfortune to rub elbows with in the KC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 AM
 
Location: IN
20,853 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Reputation: 13304
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'd have to agree with a couple of the other posts saying that KC is not at the edge of the Bible Belt. I agree that it is not. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the KC area is decidedly anti Christian. Once you get out into the rural areas things change but the immediate KC metro area is not very Christian and filled with fake Conservatives that support the big spending, in your face and intrusive government that some of us real Conservatives have come to hate. Johnson County Kansas is nothing more than a low rent version of southern California and its filled with fake, pretentious and uptight nouveau riche people.

To best illustrate my point: A couple of years ago I accidentally ran into a woman from my home state of Connecticut at the North Kansas City Post Office. We got to chatting about CT and KC and I learned that not only was she a nurse at a local hospital but also a very devoted Catholic who's best friend was a Nun. Her impression was, after living here for six months that the place was anything BUT Christian and she went so far as to say the people here are a bunch of fake, overly judgmental people. I agree with that assessment. I was taught in Sunday School that you are not supposed to judge others and that should be left to God. In other words, live and let live. The people in the KC area do not live by that philosophy.

My personal preference would be to look into some of the smaller metro areas of Missouri or Kansas. Places like St. Joseph, Springfield or Columbia would probably be better places to settle down. In fact, due to the economy I am going to have to stay in the KC area indefinitely and as a result, I am planning to move out of a KC suburb and into a rural town some 30 to 50 miles out of the city. The people out there are more laid back and down to earth than the people I've had the misfortune to rub elbows with in the KC area.
Yes, I completely agree with most of those points. The yuppie culture is alive and well in JOCO. It has just morphed some for the last 20-30+ years. Actually, JOCO was fairly hard hit by the recession in the late 70s and early 80s. The population of Overland Park actually declined during a couple of those years. I could not even imagine that happening now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'd have to agree with a couple of the other posts saying that KC is not at the edge of the Bible Belt. I agree that it is not. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the KC area is decidedly anti Christian. Once you get out into the rural areas things change but the immediate KC metro area is not very Christian and filled with fake Conservatives that support the big spending, in your face and intrusive government that some of us real Conservatives have come to hate. Johnson County Kansas is nothing more than a low rent version of southern California and its filled with fake, pretentious and uptight nouveau riche people.

To best illustrate my point: A couple of years ago I accidentally ran into a woman from my home state of Connecticut at the North Kansas City Post Office. We got to chatting about CT and KC and I learned that not only was she a nurse at a local hospital but also a very devoted Catholic who's best friend was a Nun. Her impression was, after living here for six months that the place was anything BUT Christian and she went so far as to say the people here are a bunch of fake, overly judgmental people. I agree with that assessment. I was taught in Sunday School that you are not supposed to judge others and that should be left to God. In other words, live and let live. The people in the KC area do not live by that philosophy.
I understand what you're saying, but the Bible Belt is all too often known for being fake and judgmental. I lived in the deep south for much of my life, and KC is very similar.
I think if someone could do a survey to come up with a percentage of how many honest, sincere spiritually minded people there are in different parts of the country, the numbers would most likely be very close to each other from one region to the next. It may be that more people go to church in the south than they do some other parts of the country, but for many of them, it's strictly a social event, and nothing more.
Also, it's not uncommon for liberal urban types to be hostile towards religion, especially Christianity. There does seem to be a lot of those in urban KC, but you'll find clusters of such people even in places like Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas... all indisputably in the Bible Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but the Bible Belt is all too often known for being fake and judgmental. I lived in the deep south for much of my life, and KC is very similar.
I think if someone could do a survey to come up with a percentage of how many honest, sincere spiritually minded people there are in different parts of the country, the numbers would most likely be very close to each other from one region to the next. It may be that more people go to church in the south than they do some other parts of the country, but for many of them, it's strictly a social event, and nothing more.
Also, it's not uncommon for liberal urban types to be hostile towards religion, especially Christianity. There does seem to be a lot of those in urban KC, but you'll find clusters of such people even in places like Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas... all indisputably in the Bible Belt.
KC very similar to the Deep South? That is the most untrue thing that I've ever heard. You'll find people like you just described EVERYWHERE. I personally think the Bible Belt is not really a definitive region. I have been to all the places you've described, and KC is nothing like those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
KC very similar to the Deep South? That is the most untrue thing that I've ever heard. You'll find people like you just described EVERYWHERE. I personally think the Bible Belt is not really a definitive region. I have been to all the places you've described, and KC is nothing like those cities.
**sigh**
You missed my point on KC. No, it's generally not that similar, but I was talking about religion on this one.
Kansas City isn't exactly like those others, but it's not as different as you'd think... in terms of religion.
I've lived in KC for 5 years, spent a similar amount of time in Little Rock, and grew up just down the road from Memphis, which I visited frequently.
The Bible Belt that most people talk about is sort of definable, and KC is on the northern edge of it.

I'm not saying the Bible belt is good or bad, just that it's not as religious as people think. No more so than other parts of the country, in fact.
Their religion is just more out in the open, and more a part of their social lives.. even if they don't particularly act religious otherwise.
The reason I've said all this is because WILWRadio seemed to imply that KC isn't remotely the bible belt, and that it would be better off if it were. My argument was that being the Bible Belt isn't necessarily a good thing, in that people in that region don't act any more Christian than people in other parts of the country. They just brag about it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
**sigh**
You missed my point on KC. No, it's generally not that similar, but I was talking about religion on this one.
Kansas City isn't exactly like those others, but it's not as different as you'd think... in terms of religion.
I've lived in KC for 5 years, spent a similar amount of time in Little Rock, and grew up just down the road from Memphis, which I visited frequently.
The Bible Belt that most people talk about is sort of definable, and KC is on the northern edge of it.

I'm not saying the Bible belt is good or bad, just that it's not as religious as people think. No more so than other parts of the country, in fact.
Their religion is just more out in the open, and more a part of their social lives.. even if they don't particularly act religious otherwise.
The reason I've said all this is because WILWRadio seemed to imply that KC isn't remotely the bible belt, and that it would be better off if it were. My argument was that being the Bible Belt isn't necessarily a good thing, in that people in that region don't act any more Christian than people in other parts of the country. They just brag about it more.
I honestly have not really noticed a big religious difference between Kansas City and other Midwestern cities. The northernmost extent of the Bible Belt in my opinion is somewhere in the Ozarks. And it's not an entirely Southern area either, since it covers parts of Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, and Indiana. I just flat out disagree that Kansas City is in the Bible Belt. Compared even to Springfield, which I actually consider one of the northernmost true Bible Belt cities, KC just doesn't come close to that kind of conservative Baptist thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
 
37 posts, read 203,677 times
Reputation: 58
Kansas:

I live in Kansas and we have personal property taxes for cars, boats, etc. They're pretty high. Not sure about the other states.

Wichita:

I'm leaving Wichita due to lack of jobs, frigid winters, and the fact that there isn't much to do here. It's a safe place to raise a family though and the outlying schools (Derby, Maize, Andover, Goddard) are really good. Good luck finding a job here though. Seriously.

KC:

I go to Kansas City several times a year for entertainment. Johnson county is pretty nice (see Shawnee Mission). I would move there if is weren't for the miserably cold winters. I know jobs are a little scarce up there right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
Reputation: 1973
^^Frigid winters are relative, I guess. I don't find KC to be that bad. Maybe it's because we only average 20 or so inches of snow a year, and the lakes don't freeze over that much.
The summers can be scorching.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I honestly have not really noticed a big religious difference between Kansas City and other Midwestern cities. The northernmost extent of the Bible Belt in my opinion is somewhere in the Ozarks. And it's not an entirely Southern area either, since it covers parts of Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, and Indiana. I just flat out disagree that Kansas City is in the Bible Belt. Compared even to Springfield, which I actually consider one of the northernmost true Bible Belt cities, KC just doesn't come close to that kind of conservative Baptist thinking.
We'll just have to disagree on that one.
Some, not all, of the biggest mega-churches in KC are Southern Baptist, or some other conservative evangelical type. There's even a Southern Baptist seminary here, and the Church of the Nazarene is headquartered here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top