U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,578,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
In Little Rock, a "safe neighborhood" means either prohibitively expensive, a fixer-upper, or out in the boonies. In KC, it just means a little bit older, less trendy area that's perfectly fine otherwise.
Huh? Little Rock has plenty of "safe neighborhoods." It's just some stereotype that some have against Little Rock. It's a nice city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM

263 posts, read 477,017 times
Missouri is really getting a bad rap being compared to Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Missouri is far and away the best state of the four, with 2 large metro areas, a couple really nice college towns, the Lake of the Ozarks, numerous pro sports teams, decent dining, etc. Missouri is also the most progressive of the four, although that isn't saying a whole lot .

It would be more fair to compare those other three states to Kentucky or Alabama.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,578,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
Missouri is really getting a bad rap being compared to Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Missouri is far and away the best state of the four, with 2 large metro areas, a couple really nice college towns, the Lake of the Ozarks, numerous pro sports teams, decent dining, etc. Missouri is also the most progressive of the four, although that isn't saying a whole lot .

It would be more fair to compare those other three states to Kentucky or Alabama.
Just because Missouri has "2 large metro areas," doesn't make it better than the other states being compared. I guess you're not aware of how progressive NW Arkansas is. The Fayetteville area is just as nice as anything in Missouri.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post

Okie are fine with your comparison to Kentucky and Alabama....we'll take it as a compliment, even though you were being derogatory.

Plus, I'll look forward to my Sooners dominating ya'll again next year. Go Big 12 South Football!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,869,012 times
I'm going to be diplomatic and avoid the p***ing match-- but it's not hard to do at all. All four states have their charms, one of which is feeling superior to their neighbors.

I've spent the least amount of time in Arkansas but look forward to spending more. I like Kansas because it's genuinely weird, has a soft spot for eccentricity (as do I), and I like Oklahoma because it's got some of the best road food I've ever had, particularly hamburgers, and I've yet to encounter any truly unfriendly people in either place. I admire the way northwestern Arkansas has risen to the challenge of the Wal-Mart phenomenon. Most of Arkansas and southern Missouri share the natural beauty of the Ozarks.

Missouri is such a transitional state in so many ways-- geographically and culturally in particular. And I dare say that as a result, it is the most diverse state of the four, which is a positive in itself. And we have the best BBQ of the four and maybe in the country as a whole, in KC. Missouri, that is.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,754,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Huh? Little Rock has plenty of "safe neighborhoods." It's just some stereotype that some have against Little Rock. It's a nice city.
No stereotype from me. I lived there for over 4 years and found very few options for both affordability and safety within the city itself. Admittedly, I never made enough money in Little Rock to afford much. Just another problem with that city.

Quote:
Just because Missouri has "2 large metro areas," doesn't make it better than the other states being compared. I guess you're not aware of how progressive NW Arkansas is. The Fayetteville area is just as nice as anything in Missouri.
But Fayetteville isn't a large metro area. Nice, maybe, but not large and certainly not large enough to offer what KC and St. Louis are able to offer.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I'm going to be diplomatic and avoid the p***ing match-- but it's not hard to do at all. All four states have their charms, one of which is feeling superior to their neighbors.

I've spent the least amount of time in Arkansas but look forward to spending more. I like Kansas because it's genuinely weird, has a soft spot for eccentricity (as do I), and I like Oklahoma because it's got some of the best road food I've ever had, particularly hamburgers, and I've yet to encounter any truly unfriendly people in either place. I admire the way northwestern Arkansas has risen to the challenge of the Wal-Mart phenomenon. Most of Arkansas and southern Missouri share the natural beauty of the Ozarks.

Missouri is such a transitional state in so many ways-- geographically and culturally in particular. And I dare say that as a result, it is the most diverse state of the four, which is a positive in itself. And we have the best BBQ of the four and maybe in the country as a whole, in KC. Missouri, that is.
Most of Arkansas? Not even close. The Ozarks cover maybe a third of Arkansas at most, and mainly only the northwestern part. Geographically I agree it is varied. The Northern half of the state has the Central Till Plains, while the Southern half has the Osage Plains, the Ozarks, and the Mississippi Delta. However, a minority of the state has truly Southern culture. Midwestern culture, dialect, and geography are the predominant influences in the state, especially in the cases of St. Louis and Kansas City.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 12,321,769 times
Default I'm Bias So It's Tulsa Hands Down..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingCrossCountry View Post
Hey all!

I have been at this relocation research for a month now and I am so ready to just pick a spot!!

Anyway, I have been looking at the "foursquare" states, as I like to call them - Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas... and am wondering, all in all, which would be the best for us to live in. So I'm calling all opinions! Let me know what you think about each state so I can finally just pick one and get on with this move!!

A little background about us:

My husband and I are looking for a state with very low cost of living, we will then find whatever metro area is in that state for my husband to find work. He is in Information Technology. Then we'll find a small town next to the city and settle down! The things that are important to us are, in order of importance:

cost of living
low crime/safety
beautiful area/green/clean streets, etc.
family friendly (we have 2 under 2 years old!)

can you help us figure out which is the all time best state for us to start looking for work in? These are the metros that I picked from each state that I liked:

Tulsa, OK
Kansas City, KS
Little Rock, AR
??not sure, MO. (Branson, probably)

What do you think, which is best for us? THANKS A BUNCH!!!
If you can do without "professional sports it's Tulsa hands down..now tulsa does have PGA and bring Tiger Woods into Tulsa every "blue moon"
but as far as Major League Sports ..you have to go to Oklahoma City for
NBA action...tulsa is green and will become a lot more greener in the time span of 2010 to 2020 with "Tree's Galore" and it's so called Tulsa Mountains..Hills that are 800 to 1,000 feet tall and "White Water" that's just south of Uptown Tulsa...(Check My Links Below)....."And" more Lakes Than You Can Shake A finger At......

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=CrossTimbers+Resort&aq=f&oq=

www.TulsaPearl.com

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k70FNWnZ_5Y

www.grandlakelinks.com/cgi-bin/Search.pl?shangri-la

Last edited by Howest2008; 06-09-2009 at 05:29 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,053,596 times
Quote:
NW Arkansas and Little Rock are not 'urban'...Kansas City and St. Louis are.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:13 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
"I like Kansas because it's genuinely weird, has a soft spot for eccentricity"

This has not been my experience. Are you in the Lawrence/Topeka area?

Anyway the person didn't seem require it to be a city, just near a city. I'm not sure they said anything pro or contra on "Bible Belt." So with that in mind I'll look through stats.

Auburn, Kansas - It's about 13 miles from Topeka in a county with low particulate pollution. There are no registered sex offenders in the town and there seems to be almost no crime of any kind. The cost of living is below average. I remember the county being somewhat pretty for Kansas.

Bel Aire, Kansas - Among the lowest listed for crime. The cost of living is low and Wichita is only seven miles away.

Glendale, Missouri - It's near St. Louis, but is on this sites "100 Safest cities" list. Murder, rape, and arson seem virtually non-existent. The cost of living is below US average. I don't know what the scenery is like as I've never been there.

Willard, Missouri - Near Springfield which is a small city. Low cost of living, seems to almost never have any murders or rapes. (One murder in 2002 and one rape in 2006) Below average rate of sex-offenders. In a county with relatively low particulate pollution. I've never been here, but I seem to recall the Springfield area has some nice scenery.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma - In Tulsa County so presumably near Tulsa. Tulsa County is in the lowest hundred counties for Nitrogen Dioxide pollution. Crime rate is a little more than half the US average. Cost of living appears to be low. There are sex offenders, but the rate is significantly below the state average. The town appears to be about 80% families. Never been there myself.

Of towns I've been to in the region Manhattan, Kansas is somewhat nice. Although they have some crime problems. For scenery I'd go South/Southwest Missouri and Northeast Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or