U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingCrossCountry View Post
Hey all!

I have been at this relocation research for a month now and I am so ready to just pick a spot!!

Anyway, I have been looking at the "foursquare" states, as I like to call them - Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas... and am wondering, all in all, which would be the best for us to live in. So I'm calling all opinions! Let me know what you think about each state so I can finally just pick one and get on with this move!!

A little background about us:

My husband and I are looking for a state with very low cost of living, we will then find whatever metro area is in that state for my husband to find work. He is in Information Technology. Then we'll find a small town next to the city and settle down! The things that are important to us are, in order of importance:

cost of living
low crime/safety
beautiful area/green/clean streets, etc.
family friendly (we have 2 under 2 years old!)

can you help us figure out which is the all time best state for us to start looking for work in? These are the metros that I picked from each state that I liked:

Tulsa, OK
Kansas City, KS
Little Rock, AR
??not sure, MO. (Branson, probably)

What do you think, which is best for us? THANKS A BUNCH!!!
With young children, you should also be considering schools in 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,048,855 times
if i had my way i would get rid of 3 of those states and name the entire area Missouri

Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
Rereading the request I think some of the towns I named might be too small. Here's some additional possibilities just looking through stats here.

Florissant, Missouri - In St. Louis County. Low rate of murder most years, among the lowest rates of assault and rape. Seems to be quite below average cost of living, but not much poverty.

Lee's Summit, Missouri - It is 16.4 miles from Kansas City. It has a low cost of living, but fairly little poverty. There's no registered sex offenders and the assault rate is quite low. The crime rate is about 60% of average, but there was no murder in 2007.

Using Businessweek

The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2009: Kansas - BusinessWeek

Kansas - Overland Park, runner up Olathe.
Missouri - Lee's Summit, St. Charles and St. Joseph were runners up.
Oklahoma - Lawton, Midwest City and Broken Arrow as runners up.

Amazon.com: Best Places to Raise Your Family, First Edition (Rated): Bert Sperling, Peter Sander: Books

For the states you mentioned this book names

Kansas - Lawrence, Shawnee, and Wichita (West)
Missouri - Columbia and St. Charles
Oklahoma - Broken Arrow

Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Using Businessweek

The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2009: Kansas - BusinessWeek

Kansas - Overland Park, runner up Olathe.
Missouri - Lee's Summit, St. Charles and St. Joseph were runners up.
Oklahoma - Lawton, Midwest City and Broken Arrow as runners up.

Amazon.com: Best Places to Raise Your Family, First Edition (Rated): Bert Sperling, Peter Sander: Books

For the states you mentioned this book names

Kansas - Lawrence, Shawnee, and Wichita (West)
Missouri - Columbia and St. Charles
Oklahoma - Broken Arrow
I grew up in Overland Park, KS and couldn't wait to leave when I was young. It has to be one of the blandest large suburbs in the entire country and is nearly completely devoid of any culture or outdoor activities.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I grew up in Overland Park, KS and couldn't wait to leave when I was young. It has to be one of the blandest large suburbs in the entire country and is nearly completely devoid of any culture or outdoor activities.
I was tempted to add an addendum on Overland Park as, going by parents I've known from there, it didn't sound that impressive to me. I'm largely going by studies here, not actual experiences.

I was tempted to list one of the nicer towns in Northwest Arkansas, something near Fayetteville perhaps, as I'm originally from Arkansas. However the questioner had already removed Arkansas by the time I posted. I don't much care for Kansas, but I remember liking parts of North Central Kansas. Unfortunately I don't think those would be near enough to a big city.

As I'm going by studies I'd probably suggest you visit most any town I mentioned before just moving there. In fact even for towns I do know it probably makes sense to check it out for yourself before making a major life decision. The person may feel different than either of us would. Heck they might love Overland Park or even Wichita. (I can't stand Wichita for some reason)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-10-2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: expanding

Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM

Family Circle magazine listed Webster Groves, Missouri in their top ten for families. Going by city-data the town hasn't had a murder since 1999 and its overall crime rate is less than one-third of average. It's fairly affluent, with somewhat high home prices and property tax rates for Missouri, but cost of living seems to be below average. It's eight miles outside of St. Louis.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 PM

612 posts, read 1,624,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
When was the last time you set foot in Overland Park?!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 PM

612 posts, read 1,624,318 times
Default Kansas City metro area

I saw that the last time the OP wrote this was 2 months ago so this may be useless:

On topic: I can give you some insight about the Kansas City, Kansas area.

I've lived everywhere in the metro area from KCK, KCMO, Overland Park, Shawnee (Mission), Gardner, Olathe, Bonner Springs, Independence, etc.

Kansas City, Kansas or Wyandotte County in general struck me as boring on the South/Southeastern portion. Real quite, older area. I think to the North/Northwestern area of Wyandotte Co. (Edwardsville?) is really expanding with shops, entertainment and they even have the KS Speedway and the T-Bones (minor baseball team). The town is "small" but growing. I'm not too sure about the schools though (in Edwardsville). The schools in general (WyCo; Turner SD) have had a bad rep. I don't want to insult the school districts but they just aren't the best compared to the ones in JoCo. I would advise you stay clear out of WyCo. Not all of it's bad but for what your looking for; not ideal.

JoCo I've lived most of my life. It has more "stuff" to do than WyCo; other than the Legends. Many different cities you can live in and find cheap, affordable housing (depending on the area of course). The schools I find are impressive (having graduated from the Shawnee Mission School District). There is the SMSD, Olathe SD, and BV School Distrct (in the major areas of Shawnee, Overland Park, and Olathe). You may want to look into Olathe (East not West of I35), Gardner (just south of Olathe (small town; bit redneck-ish), or DeSoto.

Some areas in Missouri are good for schools and jobs. If I remember correctly, either Blue Springs or Liberty had one of the best school districts in the state. Both cities are within a good distance of the metro area.

Branson never really struck me as a place for people to live. I've visited down there a few times and it always had a touristy feel wherever I went in the city. Go to Wal-Mart and you'd have states from New Mexico to New York. Think Springfield or Columbia (a college town: Mizzou).

As for Arkansas and Oklahoma I have never stepped foot in either state so I won't say anything.

Whoo lotta information I know. Best of luck and hope this info helped (if you're still following this thread)

Old 06-11-2009, 01:34 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,659,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Family Circle magazine listed Webster Groves, Missouri in their top ten for families. Going by city-data the town hasn't had a murder since 1999 and its overall crime rate is less than one-third of average. It's fairly affluent, with somewhat high home prices and property tax rates for Missouri, but cost of living seems to be below average. It's eight miles outside of St. Louis.
I've heard good things about Webster Groves.

And it seems to be pretty convenient to the city and city amenities.

Some Webster Grove Pics
Urban St. Louis - View topic - Downtown Webster (http://urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=4213&highlight=webster+groves - broken link)

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 AM

20,852 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
When was the last time you set foot in Overland Park?!
I am not a fan of very large suburbs with limited outdoor activities. It is just not a good fit for me. The one huge positive Overland Park has going for it is its job market. That is the only advantage I see to living there.
I visit KC a few times a year for family reasons.
I am always glad to go back to small town New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or