U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,912,876 times

Advertisements

Arkansas has a huge disadvantage compared to the other three in that its poverty level is extraordinarily higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,077,258 times
[quote=Thomas R.;9220256]"I like Kansas because it's genuinely weird, has a soft spot for eccentricity"

Bel Aire, Kansas - Among the lowest listed for crime. The cost of living is low and Wichita is only seven miles away.

Just a quick correction here,Bel Aire and Wichita run into each other.

I would say Kansas has the most boring scenery and lack of good lakes..
Of the states the OP mentioned.

There are some pretty areas in Kansas the eastern part mostly.

OK,MO,ARK all offer great lakes,woods,caverns,etc with MO & Ark..
Having more places tourists go.

Springfield sounds good to me althought i havent visited.
Close to Ozarks,Branson,I believe it has a Zoo & Aquarium.
Lots of history stuff(Civil war battleground).
Sounds good for a family not so much for someone young & single.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I would say Kansas has the most boring scenery and lack of good lakes..
Oh I very much agree. I think you quoted something as by me, the eccentrics thing, that I actually disputed. Kansas is kind of dull and conformist to my mind.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,077,258 times
Living in Kansas for a while i was blown away on a visit to the Ozarks area.
Clear streams,Wooded Area's,Awesome lakes,Caves!
Most of the Lakes in Kansas are man-made and muddy dirty water!
I even find the Flint Hills somewhat boring.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,755,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Oh I very much agree. I think you quoted something as by me, the eccentrics thing, that I actually disputed. Kansas is kind of dull and conformist to my mind.
All of these states could be considered dull and conformist. Of the four, Kansas seems the most eccentric to me, believe it or not. It's kind of a weird place. Missouri has it's share of odd ducks, too.
Towns in Kansas strike me as being more clean and orderly, as opposed to the dirty, cluttered, and generally poorly laid-out communities in Arkansas.
Wow, I can say nice things about Kansas.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM

I guess we all have our definitions of eccentric. I suppose there are some things in Kansas that are eccentric like that guy who declared himself Pope or what have you. I'd agree Kansas is generally more orderly than Arkansas. (Although there are a few trashy towns in Kansas)

Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 PM

612 posts, read 1,625,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am not a fan of very large suburbs with limited outdoor activities. It is just not a good fit for me. The one huge positive Overland Park has going for it is its job market. That is the only advantage I see to living there.
I visit KC a few times a year for family reasons.
I am always glad to go back to small town New Hampshire.
I am going to agree with ya. A town like Overland Park should have more stuff to do. Always a job somewhere around here. I enjoy my job right now.
I drove around last weekend on a beautiful day and passed by a lot of parks and was surprised to see nothing really happening. Some families playing around and lovebirds strolling but nothing productive going on with the exception of kiddie soccer. I was very surprised to see that. But luckily for me, I work enough hours/days in the week to keep me pretty occupied and not worry so much about my social life (That's on Saturdays only).
I'm staying here for school. Go to JCCC for a year then finally transfer to Kansas U. in Lawrence. After that I'm out of here.
I think the main reason (now this may not be your reason for leaving) why YOUNG adults tend to want to leave Kansas is because of the poor singles market. A lot of (and you'd be surprised) folks around here get married young and sometimes within the first few years after college.
Y'kno for a city that's great for a family, there sure isn't a lot to do...

Old 06-13-2009, 10:03 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
I am going to agree with ya. A town like Overland Park should have more stuff to do. Always a job somewhere around here. I enjoy my job right now.
I think the main reason (now this may not be your reason for leaving) why YOUNG adults tend to want to leave Kansas is because of the poor singles market. A lot of (and you'd be surprised) folks around here get married young and sometimes within the first few years after college.
Y'kno for a city that's great for a family, there sure isn't a lot to do...
I completely agree with you. I actually am coming back to KC next month to attend a wedding for my cousin. He is getting married and is only 24. People tend to get married much earlier than average in that area it seems. I think it has to do with the prevailing rural culture that surrounds the area even though it is a large city. I am in a career field that will likely transfer me to many different cities and towns over time so I would hate to be TIED DOWN in one particular area.
One of the reasons I left was also due to the poor climate for single people, even in areas of KC, MO. I also left because I hate hot weather and KC has way to much of it for my taste. Another reason I left was to be close to my retired parents in NH. Lastly, I left because I wanted to take a job that was close to fantastic natural ammenities. I am close to the ocean, lakes, and mountains. I would only leave NH if I absolutely had to. It is one of those kind of places... You would have to visit to understand. "Live Free or Die"

Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I completely agree with you. I actually am coming back to KC next month to attend a wedding for my cousin. He is getting married and is only 24.
That's young to you? To me that's about the right age, maybe a bit old. You hopefully have your degree, a job, and are still young enough that having kids doesn't have health risks. My two oldest siblings married at 20 and are still married. My older brother C married at 25 and I was interested/happy he waited so long. My little sister is unmarried at 29 and I kind-of assume that means she'll never marry. (I don't plan on marrying, I'm 32. Maybe that's not too old, but meh)

I went to my nephew's wedding last weekend and he was eighteen. She was not pregnant or anything, he just wanted to marry her. I felt like that was a bit young, but this was seen as a bit judgmental and I felt a bit bad thinking it. Now I have another nephew who married at nineteen after he'd fathered two kids with the gal. I found that odd, but he has a good job. He certainly makes more money than I'm likely to ever make. Still I'm sympathetic to the idea that 18-19 might be a tad young.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:23 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That's young to you? To me that's about the right age, maybe a bit old. You hopefully have your degree, a job, and are still young enough that having kids doesn't have health risks. My two oldest siblings married at 20 and are still married. My older brother C married at 25 and I was interested/happy he waited so long. My little sister is unmarried at 29 and I kind-of assume that means she'll never marry. (I don't plan on marrying, I'm 32. Maybe that's not too old, but meh)

I went to my nephew's wedding last weekend and he was eighteen. She was not pregnant or anything, he just wanted to marry her. I felt like that was a bit young, but this was seen as a bit judgmental and I felt a bit bad thinking it. Now I have another nephew who married at nineteen after he'd fathered two kids with the gal. I found that odd, but he has a good job. He certainly makes more money than I'm likely to ever make. Still I'm sympathetic to the idea that 18-19 might be a tad young.
Well, I knew quite a few people that were 20 or younger that were getting married near KC. I think the age varies some depending on region. I know the area I live in now people tend to wait until their late 20s or later due to many people seeking advanced degrees and career advancement. I would much prefer to be financially stable before deciding to get married. I know that could also apply to couples at much younger ages, but that is what works best in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or