U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM

13 posts, read 60,440 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I have been at this relocation research for a month now and I am so ready to just pick a spot!!

Anyway, I have been looking at the "foursquare" states, as I like to call them - Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas... and am wondering, all in all, which would be the best for us to live in. So I'm calling all opinions! Let me know what you think about each state so I can finally just pick one and get on with this move!!

A little background about us:

My husband and I are looking for a state with very low cost of living, we will then find whatever metro area is in that state for my husband to find work. He is in Information Technology. Then we'll find a small town next to the city and settle down! The things that are important to us are, in order of importance:

cost of living
low crime/safety
beautiful area/green/clean streets, etc.
family friendly (we have 2 under 2 years old!)

can you help us figure out which is the all time best state for us to start looking for work in? These are the metros that I picked from each state that I liked:

Tulsa, OK
Kansas City, KS
Little Rock, AR
??not sure, MO. (Branson, probably)

What do you think, which is best for us? THANKS A BUNCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,949,686 times
Oh Missouri for sure! We moved out of our homestate of Ca in 2001 and headed to Springfield, MO. I too wasn't sure where to go, but dh has family in Columbia and Lake of the Ozarks so I started looking around there. He landed a job in Springfield and they moved us. We loved the area, which is also very close to Branson. Such a great place to raise a family. We left because of a job relo to Georgia a few years later, and now we are in Virginia,lol...oh well, we are getting to see alot of our great country!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM

620 posts, read 1,615,930 times
I wish I could be of some help to you, but I don't know much about any of the places you're considering. I live in Oklahoma, but I've only been to Tulsa once.

I wish you the best of luck in choosing the right place for you and your family, though!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,899,356 times
If you want a Southern atmosphere, go with Oklahoma and Arkansas. If you want a Midwestern one, go with Kansas and Missouri.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 PM

559 posts, read 1,607,750 times
forget tulsa, nothing wrong with it, and come to o k l a h o m a c i t y! we want you here.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
If you want a Southern atmosphere, go with Oklahoma and Arkansas. If you want a Midwestern one, go with Kansas and Missouri.
Agreed. All of the cities that the OP mentioned are excellent choices. Really couldn't go wrong IMO.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,726,296 times
If you pick Tulsa, live in a town called Jenks, which is a suburb with the best schools. Little Rock is pretty cool, but is a little sketchy. Kansas City is the biggest, and it of course has major league sports. My personal taste lean away from Missouri. They do have a lot of (a) fire cracker stands, and (b) military schools there. I get the sense that Branson is a strange place, that you should only go to if you happen to like Minnie Pearl and Hee Haw.

My votes would be either Tulsa or Kansas City. Jenks has everything you need. KS City if you want a bigger place, that is a bit more expensive but with more things to do.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,994,384 times
I'm pretty partial to Little Rock. Yes there are areas of Little Rock that are sketchy but since your husband will be working in IT, you can afford to not live near those areas! It isn't nearly as bad as some people think it might be. I like Tulsa too btw. KC seems like a decent enough town the very short amounts of time I've been there but it's too flat for me to live there.

If you do consider the LR area, Maumelle is the place to be. Very easy to get into the city. It's a very clean small town with lots of growth going on. One of the cool things about Little Rock is how it's so well integrated with the natural surroundings. We may not be the most urban of cities our size but we make up for that in outdoor activities in very close proximity. Sort of the best of two worlds.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,037,374 times
If you were a young single I would say look no further than Kansas City, but being that you are looking for somewhere family oriented, Little Rock is worth a look. It clearly is the most scenic of the places you mentioned. West Little Rock and Maumelle are very nice suburban settings that integrate well into their environment. The crime here can be bad in some areas but is not as bad as it's perceived to be and is localized a good distance away from where you would likely be living. The one serious drawback is Little Rock lacks a lot of the urban amenities you might expect from a city of 200,000 (come expecting a city of 80k in that realm), but as Stormcrow says, the outdoor recreation can make up for it if that's what you are looking for.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM

13 posts, read 60,440 times
Default Great info guys!

Thanks everyone for all the info!! Keep it coming, I'm taking notes

So, I'm hearing that Little Rock is pretty (natural surroundings), and I know Tulsa is pretty green for a city its' size. And Kansas City is flat, right? Branson is starting to seem like the Las Vegas of the Midwest to me. So all in all, which city would you say is the most beautiful - clean and green?

Also, which has the most family friendly activities/atmosphere?

Thanks again guys - you're awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or