U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,090,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownfacination View Post
I am looking for a "homie" place that is cold, and has lots of nature around (I plan t be a professional photographer).

Colorado is nice like Boulder or Colorado Springs both aren't big cities but close to Denver and it gets cold

Welcome to the Boulder Chamber Web site! Your local source for business events in Boulder.

Boulder Colorado CVB: Hotels, Attractions and Travel Information

Official Travel Site for Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak Region | Colorado Springs

The Greater Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Florida and Hawaii. Don't believe the tales about CA. It's not as consistent as they'd like to believe. The Winters are chilly and rainy in much of the state. That said, there are definitely some microclimates that will be better than others.
BTW, I have lived in CA. So, this is not an uniformed comment.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:48 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Florida and Hawaii. Don't believe the tales about CA. It's not as consistent as they'd like to believe. The Winters are chilly and rainy in much of the state. That said, there are definitely some microclimates that will be better than others.
Southern California is as warm or warmer than northern Florida [ie Jacksonville] yet much further north than Florida or much of Texas. Winters in SoCal are as mild as anywhere in U.S. aside from central & south Florida and, of-course, Hawaii. Tampa and Orlando aren't much warmer than Los Angeles during winter and are more likely to get frost than coastal California. I wish it were more rainy in California but winters are mostly sunny and quite comfortable if you like temps near 70F. NorCal is naturally cooler and more rainfall.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 PM

22,120 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownfacination View Post
I am looking for a "homie" place that is cold, and has lots of nature around (I plan t be a professional photographer).
Consider the Mountain West states like Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
While the winters are definitely chillier than Florida and Hawaii, there is less seasonal variation in terms of temperatures along the coast than in much of Florida.

The high temp for San Diego only varies 12 degrees from it's coldest months to the warmest, 66-78. SF only about 13 degrees from 58-71.

Tampa ranges from 70-90, Jacksonville from 64-90. But Miami is only about 15 degrees ranging from 76-91.

Of course though once you go inland the temperature variation will be just as great and many times greater than Florida. Sacramento goes from 55-94. So overall I'd say Florida does have less variation than CA but the coastal area of CA have less variation than most of Florida in general.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 16,812 times
I believe Medford, Oregon is great place to live. there seasons are more like what you are looking for , i think. But i am also interested in where you live, the weather sounds like just the type of weather for where i want to live. will you tel me more about where you live(weather, places that are around it)?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,830 times
Hawaii and Coastal CA.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM

704 posts, read 1,325,726 times
Hawaii, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Southern Florida would probably be my choices for most consistent weather year round.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo15 View Post
That's the sad part, I live right near Vancouver (Victoria, across the water on vancouver island) and the winters aren't even as bad as the rest of Canada at all (I'm pretty sure we're damn envied by the prairies etc lol). When I still lived in Victoria (just live 30min outside it now) it wasn't TOO bad as the snow sort of melts in the city, but any towns outside it feels lonely and snowed in.
I love Victoria in its own ways (safe feeling, not too big, not too small), but I've got to get out of here as I've spent my entire life here and only left the island twice!

Before starting this thread the cities/states I had in mind were:

-portland, oregon
-SLC, utah (I guess they get alot of snow though from videos I've seen)
-seattle, wa (probably not much better than vancouver etc. though)
-chicago, il

*I'm considering california now though, and yes I see it's a big state, no idea where to begin considering as I'm sure it's very diverse region to region. I'm assuming some parts are pretty expensive to live while others are for more average people.

I know nothing of the more northwestern states, but levendis mentioned it's pretty mild year round which is what I'm goin for. Only place that sort of intrigues me though is Illinois as I hear Iowa is boring as hell, while virginia, indiana etc. doesn't seem to jump out to me.

Super warm places like Florida, hawaii, texas etc. don't appeal to me either.

Out of the places I mentioned (or didn't in terms of the northwest), what do you think matches the whole weather thing the most? Portland/Seattle sounds a bit too much like BC as well (not sure if it snows often though). I guess Utah also snows which probably only leaves Chicago and California?

Basically it'd be very easy for me to move to all the places I mentioned except chicago as its far west of me. But if Chicago is worth it I'd think about it.

One last request is that there is a way to get back to nature for a weekend trip or whatever. Never lived in a big big city so no idea what it'd be like year round

Thanks guys (hopefully I'm not coming off too picky)
Both Portland and Seattle's weather would have strong similarities to BC. It can and does snow in both cities, but it is limited snowfall usually.
I find at least in Portland its not just the rain and long months of cloud cover that can try your patience. There is a strong cold wind that is frequent here. I find the wind worse than all the rain.

No your not coming off too picky at all. It is difficult to find a place that meets your needs and wants. How about Denver or Albuquerque. You have mountains and more of a care free lifestyle, but all the big city amenities you need. When you get tired of the city you have miles and miles of countryside and those mountains to explore. The climate is much more dry than your use to, and there are alot of sunny days especially Albuquerque. Maybe you will decide Canada can't be beat, except in the weather and climate dept. Good Luck with your reseach and I hope you find your place.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,006 times
Try San Diego California. Very expensive but the weather is around 65-75 year round. I long to move out there because my mood is affected by the weather too, but being close to my family is too important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or