U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 AM

871 posts, read 1,956,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
California and Oregon.
yes, all the pacific states. but only the areas of those states that are on the coast. when you go inland there are temperature swings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 16,819 times
Well , thanks you guys for the help...but i still am not sure on where to go. I will decide later on in life, when i can actualy go some where.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM

648 posts, read 1,416,726 times
I am surprised noone has mentioned Albuquerque or Santa Fe area in New Mexico yet. When I was there, the weather was beautiful. It seemed consistently pleasant and the area offers a very nice relaxed lifestyle.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,620 times
I live in Portland Oregon now and was born and raised within 40 miles of here my entire life. I will tell you right now, it RAINS HERE 7-10 months out of the year. It rarely snows here but when it does it is usually melted overnight but not always. the winter of 2008 it snowed and snowed and stayed down for almost 2 months. IMO it too gloomy here, dark, cloudy, cold and hella rainy, but it has THE MOST UTTERLY GORGIOUS SUMMER DAYS AND NATURE! Also I think Portland is WAY to large and traffic is infuriating I really dislike it, not to mention that the cost of living here is kinda high. Second, I have been to Chicago and I have a friend who lived there for many years, it SNOWS like no tomorrow there, the cost of living is through the roof and the city is huge with the crappy traffic to go along with it, same with Seattle Washington, thier cost of living is ridiculous and I wouldn't plan on getting anywhere fast in that horrific traffic. As far as mild weather, for sure the west coast will be your best bet, it does rain quite a bit but not alot of snow or extreme cold or scorching weather (under 20 or over 90 degrees). I have friends and family that live in washington, oregon and california. I have heard northern california is nice, but dont know from experience, but what I do know is california is one of the highest taxed states in the union and utilities are expensive. If you find the perfect spot, let me know, I too have been searching for the elusive "perfect year round weather" that wont cost a fortune to live there.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,498 times
Default NeverTooL8

Funny no one on this thread mentions San Francisco. Pretty high cost of living there, but if you're looking for a place where the temps don't fluctuate by more than 15 degrees or so between seasons, that's the place for you. Within the city itself there are micro-climates. The western half by the ocean is typically blanketed by a thick layer of marine fog all throughout July and August, with summer temps rarely getting above 65, and mostly staying below 60. As you go east in the city towards the Bay side, you'll see the sun in the summer, and it gets a bit warmer, somewhere between 68 and 73. Anything over 80 in San Francisco is considered a heat wave, and usually makes headlines. Only once in over 50 years of living there can I remember a real heat wave where the mercury got up into the 90s, and it only lasted for a day or two before the fog came rolling back in. San Franciscans call the fog their natural air conditioning. Also, only once in over 50 years can I remember a dusting of snow in winter, but it melted as soon as it hit the ground. Average rainfall is also less than many cities further north in California, Oregon, and Washington, like Portland and Seattle. 20 inches per year is about normal for San Francisco, and most of it comes late in the season, between February and April. October and November can be the nicest months in the city, if you like clear skies and the crisp autumn air. Another nice thing is that because winters are so mild, you don't have heavy falls of leaves to deal with. You don't really have four seasons in San Francisco. It's more like two: wet and dry. But even the dry months when it doesn't rain, it can be very cool and damp because of the persistent fog. You know Mark Twain's famous line: "The coldest winter I ever spent was one summer in San Francisco." It's not really cold, unless you consider 58 cold, but the wind-chill factor and the dampness from the fog and marine air can make it feel a lot colder. If you plan a visit there in the summer months, take a sweater and a coat, and don't wear shorts. All in all, it's a great place weather-wise if you don't like seasonal changes and a lot of temperature variability. It's never too hot or too cold, it doesn't rain that much compared to other places around the country, and you'll only see a snow flurry once every 50 years. The only downsides are the very high cost of living there...and, oh yes...the occasional earthquake that levels the buildings and bridges.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:23 PM

89 posts, read 108,482 times
Do you have a greencard? Just curious, because one can't just move the USA just like that... unless you want to be an illegal immigrant and work below minimum wage jobs. But I don't know... Maybe Canadians have some sort of system that allows them to get visas to live and work in the US.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 PM

320 posts, read 673,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithknifes View Post
Do you have a greencard? Just curious, because one can't just move the USA just like that... unless you want to be an illegal immigrant and work below minimum wage jobs. But I don't know... Maybe Canadians have some sort of system that allows them to get visas to live and work in the US.
Yes Canadians have TN1 visa which is easy to get ...

Old 08-04-2013, 04:02 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,554,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Yes Canadians have TN1 visa which is easy to get ...
Just curious, and off topic, But why does Mexico not have this kind of system? Everyone seems to make such a big deal over Mexicans, but not Canadians, or anybody from Everywhere else except Mexico, central america, and the Caribbean.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:04 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
you can just move so easily from one country to the next?

in response to your question, definitely San Francisco Bay Area. it stays pretty much the same weather all year- mild. Warmer as you get further inland or south as there are alot of microclimates but generally mild and consistent.

There's more variation in Southern CA. Lots of variation within short radius as well. The weather in the Valley of LA can be 20-25 degrees hotter than the coastal areas on the same day.

Chicago is not at all good weather- why would you even consider it on the basis of weather? It is hot and muggy for one half of the year than freezing the other- like Toronto.

PS. Come down for a visit to get a sense of California! There are friendly people down here! Just be careful on the roads

Old 09-01-2016, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 502 times
Also, the heart in Phoenix is a dry heat. I am also looking for a more consistent and mild climate to eventually move to, and the Pheonix/Prescott area is currently at the top of my list. I live in Wisconsin where the winters are terrible and the summers are so hot and humid that I can rarely enjoy being outside. I want fall/spring-like weather (or as close to it as I can get) year round. Also, the mountains and snow in Denver, CO are just a short drive away. The more I learn about that area, the more I look forward to possibly relocating there. Look into it, you won't be disappointed. It's the best looking option I've found without having to move to a different country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or