U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM

18 posts, read 31,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
Another issue you might want to consider...

If you are looking for a low-paying job, they probably won't hire you until you're in the area. If you are interviewing for career, higher-level jobs, they'll often give you an employment letter formally offering you the position. This isn't something I see a fast food or retail place doing. So it might not be practical to apply for things before you move and have something lined up. You might have to change your strategy.

Do you have any friends/relatives/acquaintances, anything in any of the places you named who you can stay with while pursuing finding a job? Do you have enough $ saved to last you until you find something?

I am not trying to be negative or rude, I am just trying to be honest. I think it's pointless to stay behind in a place you hate if you can easily find a job similar to the one you have now. Just make sure to really prepare for it...
I have $3,400-$3,600 (I need to recount, lol) saved up. And unfortunately, I don't have any relatives in any of the states I listed. One guy suggested Chicago, and I do have an aunt who lives there, though I hardly know her. I know money goes really quick, but I think $3,400-3,500 is enough to start me out (no?), that's providing the place is not as expensive as say Los angelos or new york! I don't think you're being negative or rude in this case, lol. I still appreciate you input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,678,983 times
If NYC is what you've always dreamed of, that's what you should aim for. If you took a share in an apartment in Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx, or uptown in Manhattan, you may be able to stay below 600/month rent. You'll have to be willing to give up space, but for many people the trade off is worth it.

Do you want to look back in 10 years and regret not trying for what you really wanted?

I lived in NYC for 13 years and it is a great experience. I say go for it, if you've got the will. Take any kind of temporary or low level job to pay the bills once you're there, and build your life from that.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 PM

177 posts, read 656,324 times
As far as the money being enough to start you out, do you know what you generally spend each month living where you are now? You can use that as a tool to evaluate how long your cash will last you. It's probably best if you can get about six months' worth saved up, just in case you have issues finding a job. A year would be even better, but you sound pretty anxious to leave!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM

784 posts, read 2,050,192 times
Another suggestion if I might.

One poster said that since you really wanted to go to NY, then you should. I would agree if you could find the right opportunity.

Would living with someone be ok for you? If you could, (and if you couldn't, I understand, I personally can't) you might want to take their advice and try NY by living with someone. You could try roommates.com for renting a potential room out. I would stay clear of Craig's list. That site is getting a bit shady, but if you wanted to you could try it and it might work out for you.

I've done the same thing as you more than once. I don't tell people that they should have a job lined up first, after all, I never did, and things worked out just fine for me. The problem with setting up a job first is that you don't always know what you want to do or what certain cities offer until you get there. It's not that hard to find a job if your motivated enough.

As far as the money situation. I guess some people are having a hard time understanding that you only have a limited amount of money. I understand that's why I would never suggest going somewhere first to check it out. It would cost way too much. I never did, and things worked out for me. I did exactly what you are doing. Actually I did it by the information of books, because when I first moved years ago, I did not have the advantage of the internet. To some degree, you are getting an over abundance of information. Like someone suggested, maybe too much information. I wasn't rich either, and I didn't have the extra money to travel all over the place just to find out if I would like a place. Chances are, even if you did that, there is still no telling how much you could really find out about a place in such a short amount of time.

I once got screwed from the computer so be careful. Once someone claimed they had a room for rent and they didn't. I drove from NY state to Los Angeles to find this out. It was only when I got there that they then told me that they were going to divide their living room into two rooms. I think they had a small strip of board glued to the wall. Of course this conversation and event took place after I got there. Looking back I should have known something was up. I thought it was funny how they never could show me pictures of the room. Always said computer didn't reach that far or had some reason blah, blah, blah. Needless to say, I left. I went and rented a storage bin and lived out of that for about a month and a half. Thank god LA was warm. I believe if you want this bad enough, that no matter what obstacles come up, you will find a way to manage.

I think you are doing things the right way. If you feel NY might be too expensive, that is smart of you to know that. It's better than just jumping in blind. However, like some have suggested there are alternatives for trying out NY if you could adjust. For instance renting a room out.

I do stick by my original premise. If you are looking for a big city experience with lots to do and see, then Chicago would be a great alternative to NY. You will get a big city alternative for a much cheaper price. If you were willing to live with somebody, than you could possibly live somewhere in the loop of Chicago. It is much less expensive than NY. NY is great though, so if you think you could hack some of the negatives, go ahead and give NY a try.

It's a sucky situation your in. I know. I was there a few times in my life. I wanted to live In San Francisco but chose not too because of the cost of living. I am from NY state and love NYC more than anything and wanted to live there too, but decided against it for the same reason. Because of the rising cost of NY, its just not for everybody anymore. I did manage to live in LA for a while. But unfortunately for me, many times in life I did not go where I truly wanted to go because of not having the right amount of money. It almost seems unfair. If cities like NY and San Fran weren't so damn expensive think of how many more people would be living there. It seems like it's all the cool cities that are so damn expensive. It used to be we could live anywhere that we wanted too. Not so anymore. That's why cities in the south are still fairly cheap, because the demand is not the same.

From trying to interpret your situation the best I can. I really think your looking to get far away and I am not sure the south would have exactly what you are looking for. I would really consider Chicago if you can stand the few months of nasty weather.

Last edited by SlickRick1; 04-08-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM

5 posts, read 10,503 times
GO TO FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!! Just not to south or north.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 PM

5,727 posts, read 9,088,192 times
This is a potential disaster in the making. 3 to 4 grand won't last very long if you can't find a job relatively quickly. First and last months rent for a deposit is pretty much standard in the Northeast and of course you will have to pay your first month's rent up front. And you may not even be able to get an apartment in this economy because a landlord may not want to rent to someone that has no job, limited funds and is new to the area and probably does not have a rental history or a minimal one at that.

Stay in TX and keep your current job as long as you can. IF YOU LOSE that job then consider moving. Don't simply quit your job and move someplace and hope that you'll find a job very quickly because it quite likely won't happen. Some people have spent over a year looking for work to no avail. There are people with Master's Degrees apply for entry level food and retail jobs in many of the areas that interest you. I just saw two news reports out of Chicago that said over 100 people applied for a single opening at a Subway. And a hotel that has 300 jobs available had something like 4,000 people apply for these jobs.

Stay home!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post

I went and rented a storage bin and lived out of that for about a month and a half. Thank god LA was warm.

Wait, what!? lol... What do you mean you lived out of a storage bin? Like, you actually slept there at night???

Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
This is a potential disaster in the making. 3 to 4 grand won't last very long if you can't find a job relatively quickly. First and last months rent for a deposit is pretty much standard in the Northeast and of course you will have to pay your first month's rent up front.
I was only saying that NY was where I really wanted to go. Doesn't mean I'm going to go there. If I had actually moved to NY, I would've spent over $1,600 for the 1st month (rent and deposit included), and that was with a roommate! That's why I'm not going there. I checking out apartments in chicago on apartments.com; from what I saw, it looked pretty reasonable.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 PM

784 posts, read 2,050,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi1988 View Post
Wait, what!? lol... What do you mean you lived out of a storage bin? Like, you actually slept there at night???

Yup,

For a month and a half. You have to realize that at the time, I was thinking a few days, maybe a week or two at best. At first I viewed it like camping. I had no idea it would take me a month and a half. But I only had so much money and I couldn't afford to live out of motels. I had to save my money for when I found a place. It wasn't that easy back in the early nineties, as im sure it isn't today in some places to find a place without a job. You have to do what you have to do sometimes. I couldn't find a place at the time. There was no internet fifteen years ago. There was nothing but adds you would find in the paper. Have you ever been to LA. They have like twenty papers and none of them are that usefull. Plus, I used to camp in the mountains of the Adirondacks and the Catskills alot growing up, so I was used to that sort of thing, and it wasn't that bad. I know it sounds bad, but I am the outdoorsy type. I didn't have no problem with it. I went and took showers at truckstops, the ocean, and a few other places. I am a guy don't forget. No offense to women. But some guys can ruff it a bit better. Didn't need curling irons, makeup all of that other stuff.

It worked out for me in the end. Well it was either that or sleep outside. Atleast I was covered for the rain. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. I know it does sound bad, especially for a 20 yr old girl. Hopefully you'll never have to experience that, but I am just saying that if your serious about something, you can survive no matter what happens. I was younger and more resilient then too mind you. Trust me, shelters in LA at least back then were not the safest places to be for a young good looking person. Even hard core street people would rather live on the street than in those places. Keep in mind that this was over fifteen years ago, there are far more options to find places as their were back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or