U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:24 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
For some reason people in San Diego don't really seem to use their horns as much as other parts of CA, especially LA and SF. Twice in the same day at the same location I saw a line of cars waiting at a left turn signal. The signal turns green and the car at the front sits there through the entire cycle and NOBODY honked at them to go and instead just waited till the next cycle to go. I was going straight or I would have laid on my horn after about 10 seconds but apparently nobody else in that line cared and just sat there. And that was TWICE in the same day at the same intersection at different parts of the day and I've seen stuff like this before. Must be the whole "laid back" thing or something...
That's cuz they're all baked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
That's cuz they're all baked.
well it was during a Saturday in Pacific Beach so that is a good possibility.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 PM

463 posts, read 1,367,470 times
For the most part, Pennsylvania drivers are "average" concerning both speed and politeness. People will usually let you merge, but tailgating is very common. Depending on the road people generally drive a little over or a little under the speed limit. In most places people know where the police like to sit and know to slow down in those areas! New Jersey drivers tend to be much faster, but they are not quite as bad as they are said to be.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM

305 posts, read 363,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
UGHHH!! I can't stand WI/MILW drivers....SO SLOW!!!

Hey WI!!!! Left lane 70+ Center Lane 70+ Right Lane: everyone else!!!

Why do people in the Midwest have such a laid back attitude towards driving and life...it drives me nuts.
I'm not sure what your talking about man. Once I raced someone back all the way from Blaine to the cities. It was sweet, we were weaving through cars like crazy. It all started cause I passed his ass up via the car pool lane on to 35W. Ha Ha Ha.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
I agree with the OP. Us NYers have driving down to a trade. My friend from rural PA drove up here yesterday. She drove through the Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens throughout the day. She mentioned she couldn't believe the moves NYers do on the roads. We do it in a way that isn't dangerous, but just quick and smart. At one point my fiance was driving, and she couldn't believe the quick, smart moves he did to maneuver through traffic. We're some of the most aggressive, yet smartest drivers out there

I'm often in Florida visiting family. Florida drivers, forget about it...they make the stupidest moves I've ever seen. Like when I'm making a left turn at the light, the person in the lane beside me will just come into my lane into the turn. Stupid moves like that that are dangerous.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Denver: Fast; run red lights (often 3-4 cars will go through after it turns red); gets better when you get used to it.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
Just. Awful. Imagine very decent road conditions (very smooth, straight, wide streets, fairly high speed limits, generally a lot of lanes on the highway, lots of traffic but usually moving), but with a combination of old people, Haitians, various Latin Americans, New Yorkers, and native Floridians. It's really bad: the left lane is for cruising at 45 MPH, the right lane is for cruising at 90 MPH, there is no passing lane, but you can take a crapshoot in the middle lanes. The concept of a turn signal is also unheard of. Falling asleep at green lights is extremely common, yet so is constant red-light running. Drivers occasional check their blind spots when changing lanes (remember they do not signal), but usually don't. I have only been flicked off once, but have seen some pretty heated exchanges between other motorists. I usually see at least one or two strange illegal u-turns, left turns, right turns, etc every time I go out. Driving on the wrong side of the road isn't uncommon, either. It sucks.

Miami is similar, but there is more aggression (more skill amongst the chaos, however). I haven't found Orlando to be too bad overall as far as skill but the drivers are extremely rude there. Tampa drivers are very fast and impatient, but signaling is common and lane behavior is usually good, and in my opinion, the Tampa area is the lesser of Florida's evils for driving. I don't have much experience with Jacksonville, but it seemed very slow.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-09-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,200,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I agree with the OP. Us NYers have driving down to a trade. My friend from rural PA drove up here yesterday. She drove through the Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens throughout the day. She mentioned she couldn't believe the moves NYers do on the roads. We do it in a way that isn't dangerous, but just quick and smart. At one point my fiance was driving, and she couldn't believe the quick, smart moves he did to maneuver through traffic. We're some of the most aggressive, yet smartest drivers out there

I'm often in Florida visiting family. Florida drivers, forget about it...they make the stupidest moves I've ever seen. Like when I'm making a left turn at the light, the person in the lane beside me will just come into my lane into the turn. Stupid moves like that that are dangerous.

you never fail to teach me of all the wonderous things New Yorkers have to share with the world. Maybe some day I can pull of "quick, smart moves" in The Bronx, Queens, and Manhattan.

And ya, as has been said numerous times, nobody in south Florida can drive at all. at all. at all.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
UGHHH!! I can't stand WI/MILW drivers....SO SLOW!!!

Hey WI!!!! Left lane 70+ Center Lane 70+ Right Lane: everyone else!!!

Why do people in the Midwest have such a laid back attitude towards driving and life...it drives me nuts.
Come to Kansas City, where 65% of the people drive like a mentally disturbed NASCAR hillbilly, and the rest of us just try to survive.

Being laid back is not a bad thing.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,131,199 times
Rules:
1. Drive fast... fast as the potholes will allow.
2. Honk excessively at the car ahead.
3. Change as many lanes as possible when on the expwy.
4. When the light turns yellow speed up unless it has a camera at it, If it does then you slam on breaks so the car behind you can rear-end you.
5. Make all U-Turns without yielding or looking.
6. When making a U-turn always cut across all 3 lanes instead of entering the left.
7. Curse, yell and throw signs at the driver in front of you or in the mirror to the driver behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or