U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 PM

822 posts, read 1,259,484 times

Advertisements

Here in north central West Virginia, I think drivers are ok. On Interstate 79, I usually drive 72-75 in the 70 mph zone and I pass more people than people passing me. People tend to yield to faster traffic (left lane hogging isn't a problem) and turn signal use is about 50/50.

Now on the rural roads it's a little different. Even I slow down on those roads, but without fail, someone will be on your tail the whole way. People pass on double yellow lines all of the time and will drift into the other lane.

I travel to Pittsburgh alot too (less than 2 hours away) and the driving in southwestern PA is very similiar. But PA drivers, atleast in southwestern PA, tend to drive very slow on the interstates. In the 50 mph zone in the city limits, speeds up to 90 are common. Where the speed limit is 65, 55-60 is very common. Although Pittsburgh is a major city, traffic wise it moves slow compared to other cities. However, on city streets and neighborhoods, speeding is more common. Also people tend to STOP instead of MERGING onto the interstate. Can get very annoying.

Another thing about Pittsburgh is this thing called the Pittsburgh Left. It is understood that the first person turning left from a stop light has the right of way. It's a custom in Pittsburgh to do that. I've even seen it in northern WV too.

One thing I love about this region is that people will let you out of crowded shopping centers, driveways, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,474,678 times
Chicago is amazing. It's more true on the Tri-state than the other freeways, but generally true everywhere that if you're not going 80-plus, stay out of the left lane. It reminds me of the German Autobahns. On the Tri-state, it is not unusual to see the two left lanes both going 80-plus, with cars zigzagging from one to the other. The 80-plus stream in the left lane is so uniform and consistent, I think drivers change lanes to stay awake. Now that they have hologram toll stickers, I suspect there must be cars going through the toll gates at 80.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,660,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
What is wrong with honking? I am honked at sometimes when fail to notice light change or something. You should not take it personally, honking maybe a warning or a reminder. I honk and do not they offence at people honking at me, when you are stopped at the light and there fifty cars behind you every second counts, if not for you then for the drivers behind you. Big part of being a good drivers is understanding that you are NOT alone on the street and your behavior directly affects other drivers.
It might be a regional thing. Drivers here tend get extremely offended when another driver honks at them. My grandmother actually loses focus and starts swerving when someone honks at her.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:09 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,225,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
My grandmother actually loses focus and starts swerving when someone honks at her.
Lol, thanks for the laugh. I can totally picture that also.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,056,443 times
In NYC and Massachusetts dealerships should remove the turn signals from all cars, because no one ever uses them. Especially when making a sudden left turn from the right lane. Unless of course it's an elderly driver in a big old Buick driving 45 MPH in the left lane...his turn signal is ALWAYS on.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM

389 posts, read 989,717 times
In Philly drivers:
1) Ignore the blinking 15mph school zone signs and speed right on by.
2) Consider all stop signs optional. And if the car in front of you stopped? It means you don't have to.
3) Triple park.
4) Speed up at yellow lights.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

8,072 posts, read 16,131,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
It might be a regional thing. Drivers here tend get extremely offended when another driver honks at them. My grandmother actually loses focus and starts swerving when someone honks at her.
It's a regional thing... maybe even more localized than that. I grew up where honking the horn is normal for reminding someone a light is green or getting their attention for something else positive. Sure, sometimes people use it to be rude, but not all the time and people don't always take it as rude. I use the horn when necessary with no intentions of being rude. It wasn't designed as the car's middle finger even though that seems to be what some people think.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,381 times
I just take the subway or public bus. Driving is not neccessary or important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or