U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:25 AM

66 posts, read 238,143 times

Advertisements

I was having a discussion with my brother recently about the misconceptions people have of NYC drivers. I won't deny that we're aggressive; we most certainly are, but that does not mean we're bad drivers (on the contrary, I'd say we're very good drivers as we're used to having to be hyper-aware of our surroundings when behind the wheel). In NYC, aggressive driving is the norm, so nobody takes it personally if they're cut off, which happens all the time. What may seem rude to outsiders is just standard to us. Someone from Nebraska was saying that its polite to roll down your window and say thank you when someone lets you in. This is a really funny concept to me.

Anyway, I'll be traveling cross country soon and I was wondering what the driving culture is like in different areas of the country.

(As an aside, why are there so many Florida drivers all over the place? Every state I go it seems, I see Florida plates.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,105,580 times
Missouri drivers and eastern Kansas drivers are the worst I've experienced. And I've driven in 39 states and every Province in Canada except New Foundland.

People here simply cut you off and don't think twice about it. No signal light or any indication that they are making a lane change. They don't even look in the mirror and simply cut in front of you. They also love to sit in the lane next to you on two or three lane roads, in your blind spots near your rear quarter panels which makes it impossible to see them in any of your mirrors. Unless you physically turn around in your car while driving to locate them, you will not see them. And if you speed up to get them out of your blind spot, many will speed right up in order to stay in the same distance or proximity to your car. Very twisted. Tailgating here is the worst I've seen anywhere. 70 mph on the highway and you'll often times have a car only two car lengths behind you. And they get a couple of feet off your bumper when sitting at a stop light or stop sign. It's not wonder they have huge car pileups on the roads here. These people are morons. Only Boston and most of Massachusetts is worse but for some different reasons. I'd rather drive in the NYC metro area than the Kansas City area or anywhere near it.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM

8,068 posts, read 16,108,619 times
I enjoy driving in New York. They've mastered driving fast and aggressively to a science, yet they do the right things (i.e. alternate merges when necessary) to maximize the efficiency of traffic flow (something unheard of up here in MA where drivers are fast, aggressive and quite frankly, stupid). In my opinion, New Yorkers are the BEST drivers in the country.

South Florida driving is a weird dynamic. You share a road with a large (and slow) elderly population as well as a fast and aggressive young urban population. On 95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, you can pass cars that are going 45 in a 65mph zone or be blown away by cars going 95... it's quite a range of driving styles in this area.

I've found North and South Carolina drivers to be a bit slow. They also take certain driving maneuvers (i.e. passing them in the right line or riding close behind them if they're sitting in the left lane) VERY personally. I'll never forget passing a family in a minivan on the right hand side in South Carolina because they were going 10 mph below the speed limit and the man (in the passenger seat) was leaning out the window cursing at me while the wife was leaning on the horn. It's like they take it as a personal insult (which to many of us from other areas of the nation, it isn't at all).

These are, of course, generalizations. You'll find every type of driver in each area of the country. But these are the trends I've noticed on the East Coast.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,471,052 times
People just tend to drive pretty fast here, especially in the far left lane. Most driver usually get out of the way when you want to pass them in the fast lane, but some do not of course and they usually get cut off, rightfully so, by those try to pass them. I think San Diego and SoCal drivers are the best in CA at least, don't have much experiance driving in other parts of the country so I can't compare. The freeways here are pretty good so its easy to drive fast w/o having to worry about sharp turns or narrow lanes.

The Bay Area has the WORST drivers compared to SoCal, I cannot stand driving up there anymore. Some of the most clueless, self righteous jerks on the road there. And there is no concept of a fast lane there and people can't comprehend that black and white sign that says "slower traffic keep right". Too many slow drivers and people that just seem clueless and not paying attention to how they are driving, it's like they're all stoned or something which very well may be the case.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,294,558 times
Petty ideal for me. The nearest stop light is three miles from here, but the freeway is only two, with a rather large open space preserve me and it. Once I get on the freeway, it's a whole different ballgame, but the speed limit is 75, so it moves plenty fast for me.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM

8,121 posts, read 17,353,385 times
There is no culture, because there really isn't that much traffic. I am probably in the national minority. Once you leave some small enclaves of minor congestion, there really aren't many cars to be found.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 PM

2,735 posts, read 5,961,530 times
Here in SW VA they are the worst tailgaters I have EVER seen. We've only been here since August and my older son's bus has been rear ended twice, those are some awful odds. I've lived in socal, Missouri, Georgia and now here and I have to say, these are the worst, sorry fellow Virginian's, but please leave a safe distance between you and the vehicle's bumper in front of you.

One person was tailgating me recently, so close that when you look in your mirror, you can't even tell someone is there, he finally passed me, then tailgated a police officer. I was thinking, haha, you're going to get a ticket, and the police officer didn't do anything, just let the guy tail him for a few miles. Plus, when people tailgate here, it's not like you are too slow and they can't move over because most of the time the other lane is wide open, they just don't think to go around you. And I'm not a grandma driver, I don't dawdle!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,294,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
And I'm not a grandma driver, I don't dawdle!
Hmm, use of the word 'dawdle' makes me wonder if the previous statement is true.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM

2,735 posts, read 5,961,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Hmm, use of the word 'dawdle' makes me wonder if the previous statement is true.

And why would that be? You're too young and hip to use the term dawdle? I use it alot with my kids, that and lollygag, that's not a good one for you either?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,209,797 times
driving in Boston is really fun. just make sure you are in the correct lane like 10 lights before your turn cuz nobody will let you in.

the best is cape traffic cuz everyones ****in hammed.

i haven't driven many other places but south florida drivers are awwwwwffffulllll in ever single way.

really, though? eveyone is just going to say every big city drivers are "aggressive"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or