U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Nightlife?
Lots of bars to go to, preferably ones with loose women to take home with little effort. 1 5.88%
Lots of bars to go to, where, even though you might not score, you can talk loud, and drink all you want... 1 5.88%
Really Loud Dance clubs with flashing lights. 3 17.65%
Rock concerts with laser effects and/or live music clubs that smell like stale beer. 0 0%
Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald belting out the blues in a smoke-filed speakeasy? 0 0%
All of the above 11 64.71%
Other (If so, what?) 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,393,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I see all these people considering places to move, and 'nightlife' is usually a pretty big factor. Almost all cities, even smaller ones, try to advertise their 'nightlife' as a reason to visit or move there.

Assuming that, by nightlife, they don't mean fishing for bass on the shore of a cow pond at 2am, drinking PBR from a can, and taking occasional pot-shots at a 'no trespassing' sign, what exactly IS night life? Does it mean...

1) Lots of bars to go to, preferably ones with loose women to take home with little effort.
2) Lots of bars to go to, where, even though you might not score, you can feel free to talk really loud, and drink all you want without getting stared at.
3) Really Loud Dance clubs with flashing lights.
4) Rock concerts with laser effects and/or live music clubs that smell like stale beer.
5) Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald belting out the blues in a smoke-filed basement speakeasy?
6) All of the above
7) Other (If so, what?)

(Could not figure out how to make this a survey, so I'll just do it the cheap way)
I consider nightlife as just things to do during the evening into the wee hours of the morning. Even if it is something as mundane as having a few pizzas joints open until 2 am or a couple of decent bars, that qualifies as night life to me. Of course, if you are fortunate enough to live in an area where there are lots of night clubs that feature quality entertainment in a mature, sophisticated setting, that's even better. Outside of NYC I am not sure there is anything even LIKE that in this country any more. Unfortunately.

Where I live there is very little, if any "night life". You cannot get a meal after 10 pm anywhere except Denny's, or IHOP. And there is no sophistication anywhere.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,243,305 times
Quote:
(Could not figure out how to make this a survey, so I'll just do it the cheap way)
I added the poll. Some of your items were too long for the poll feature and had to be shortened.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:20 PM

8,031 posts, read 16,090,183 times
Quote:
The reason I started this thread is because I have this growing suspicion that when most people say 'nightlife' what they're really thinking is, 'getting hammered and hooking up'.

It was nice to read about some folks' alternatives to that.
Unfortunately, I think you're suspicion is right in many cases. I think that when most people go to visit a city looking for "nightlife" that's what they're looking for to a degree. After all, Most people vacationing in the big city aren't hoping to go spend an evening out at the local all-night pharmacy.

For the people who LIVE in the city, the singles scene is still important, but so are the other activities (art galleries, concerts, symphonies, movies, etc). Again, since many people moving to or living in the cities are young professionals that happen to be single, they need a way to meet partners and aside from the office (which is often a bad idea), going to a bar is often a better way to meet someone. There are still a good deal of "meat markets" as we like to call them where people just go to find someone for the evening (at the dirtiest places, it's not uncommon for people to end up paying for services), but many times the singles scene is a legitimate way to find a long term partner. True story, I met my girlfriend through a mutual friend at an '80s themed dance. I knew then that if she thought I was attractive in acid-washed jeans an an obnoxiously tight, fluffy, and bright colored shirt, that she was a keeper. We've been dating ever since.

My friends and I are all in relatively long term relationships so we don't go out looking for one night stands. We actually get a kick out of going out to the bars as a group and watching some trial and error attempts at "hooking up." I also like to go out dancing with my girlfriend at the clubs. While many at the club (namely the men) go to find someone for the evening, there are still plenty that aren't looking for that. In fact, I can't imagine trying to "score" a one night stand at a bar, it's just not in me to try it (even if I were single).

To each his own I guess. I enjoy a quiet weekend away as much as anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.