U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Nightlife?
Lots of bars to go to, preferably ones with loose women to take home with little effort. 1 5.88%
Lots of bars to go to, where, even though you might not score, you can talk loud, and drink all you want... 1 5.88%
Really Loud Dance clubs with flashing lights. 3 17.65%
Rock concerts with laser effects and/or live music clubs that smell like stale beer. 0 0%
Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald belting out the blues in a smoke-filed speakeasy? 0 0%
All of the above 11 64.71%
Other (If so, what?) 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:50 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,286,095 times

Advertisements

I see all these people considering places to move, and 'nightlife' is usually a pretty big factor. Almost all cities, even smaller ones, try to advertise their 'nightlife' as a reason to visit or move there.

Assuming that, by nightlife, they don't mean fishing for bass on the shore of a cow pond at 2am, drinking PBR from a can, and taking occasional pot-shots at a 'no trespassing' sign, what exactly IS night life? Does it mean...

1) Lots of bars to go to, preferably ones with loose women to take home with little effort.
2) Lots of bars to go to, where, even though you might not score, you can feel free to talk really loud, and drink all you want without getting stared at.
3) Really Loud Dance clubs with flashing lights.
4) Rock concerts with laser effects and/or live music clubs that smell like stale beer.
5) Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald belting out the blues in a smoke-filed basement speakeasy?
6) All of the above
7) Other (If so, what?)

(Could not figure out how to make this a survey, so I'll just do it the cheap way)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,361,157 times
for me it is sitting inside my apartment with a broom stick in hand watching McGyver re-runs banging on the ceiling ever time my neighbors make rucus upstairs.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times
#6, all of the above.

I grew up in a place where sitting on the tailgate of a truck in a clearing between fields was the "night life". So yes, having an actual structure in which to drink your beer improves the 'nightlife factor.' Music helps, as well as having a place where many people agree upon converging for a few hours.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,165,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
for me it is sitting inside my apartment with a broom stick in hand watching McGyver re-runs banging on the ceiling ever time my neighbors make rucus upstairs.
We can all go home already, best answer we will likely see.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
A combination of bars, clubs, music, restaurants, etc

For me, it means laying down in the guest room, next to my wife watching whatever netflix came in the mail that day. I know, pretty boring, but it beats spending a bunch of money on a drink I could have just mixed at home just to be able to drink them in the company of a bunch of drunks. Sometimes we have friends over, or go out for dessert and sometimes we even go bowling when its $1 night!

Real answer for me would be both 6 and 7. All of the above and still other ways. I always enjoyed a large bonfire with somebodies pick-up's radio blasting and everybody sitting around on lawn chairs, joking and laughing with each other. I have also enjoyed all the options listed as well. Depends on the mood and the people. I think good nightlife depends on having some people you enjoy being around and getting together. The place and/or activity is secondary to the enjoyment of being around people you enjoy and who enjoy your company. Be it in a cow pasture someplace or the most upscale nightclub in the world.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
A combination of bars, clubs, music, restaurants, etc
It's that last one - restaurants - that I don't understand. Who likes to eat a big meal late at night? Won't that just keep you up? I guess, if you're not planning on sleeping...

Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Real answer for me would be both 6 and 7. All of the above and still other ways. I always enjoyed a large bonfire with somebodies pick-up's radio blasting and everybody sitting around on lawn chairs, joking and laughing with each other. I have also enjoyed all the options listed as well. Depends on the mood and the people. I think good nightlife depends on having some people you enjoy being around and getting together. The place and/or activity is secondary to the enjoyment of being around people you enjoy and who enjoy your company. Be it in a cow pasture someplace or the most upscale nightclub in the world.
Totally agree. I'd probably prefer the cow pasture, for the relative peace and quiet. Kind of hard to get friends to go there for a 'night out' though.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Totally agree. I'd probably prefer the cow pasture, for the relative peace and quiet. Kind of hard to get friends to go there for a 'night out' though.
You are hanging with the wrong crowd then LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.