U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 PM

Location: Shepherdsville and Frankfort, Kentucky, soon to be somewhere in TEXAS!
23 posts, read 141,134 times

Advertisements

Paducah, KY
Cincinnati, OH
Memphis, TN
Miami, FL
New Orleans, LA
Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Toledo, OH
Youngstown, OH
Akron, OH
Cleveland, OH
Wheeling, WV
Charleston, WV
Huntington, WV
Camden, NJ
Newark, NJ
Buffalo, NY
Albany, NY
Montgomery, AL
Yuma, AZ
Dayton, OH
St. Louis, MO
Pine Bluff, AR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 02:01 PM

859 posts, read 3,065,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In Camdens defense they have a branch campus of Rutgers University,Campbells Soup HQ, Camden Aquarium,Tweeter Amphitheater,Independent League baseball stadium. They've done a fairly nice job with their waterfront. Agreed that the neighborhoods are an abomination, otherworldly.
I think most of Campbell's Soup has finally hightailed it out of there, but well said about the water front and the college.

Although, this is the one problem I see, the water front even if it keeps doing well is almost becoming a seperate section then the rest of camden. It's like the residental part of camden is trapped in isolated from the rest of the state with an invisible fence so to speak...most who don't live there don't want to go in and most who live there don't want many people coming.

In my opinion, I feel safe as a woman driving through Trenton during the day...where as Camden on the other hand, you couldn't pay me to get off of Route 38.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:20 PM

595 posts, read 2,136,833 times
FYI
New Orleans is not gone, and won't go anywhere.

Most of the sinking is stable, most stability is along the river on the old areas of New Orleans...and developers are buying huge swatches of land in Mid City for commercial redevelopment. I just landed a job with a Fortune 500 in NOLA, and it's flat out not going anywhere. Besides it's where much of the oil comes from in the southern US, where you get most sugar and coffee and it is the only deep water port on the Mississippi River.

So FYI, if you don't live in NOLA....dont judge it.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:46 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,522,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I think most of Campbell's Soup has finally hightailed it out of there, but well said about the water front and the college.

Although, this is the one problem I see, the water front even if it keeps doing well is almost becoming a seperate section then the rest of camden. It's like the residental part of camden is trapped in isolated from the rest of the state with an invisible fence so to speak...most who don't live there don't want to go in and most who live there don't want many people coming.

In my opinion, I feel safe as a woman driving through Trenton during the day...where as Camden on the other hand, you couldn't pay me to get off of Route 38.
Actually Campbells Soup is going to start building a new $100 M dollar HQ campus that it will anchor. It closed its Camden soup plant but all of the corporate types still work in Camden.

I mentioned before , Its not by accident that Camden isn't improving. Every time a developer goes in there to try and build new condos, new developments they get shot down by city council.

There was a proposal for 5,000 new condos in the Cramer Hill neighborhood right near the riverfront that got squashed immediately. There are some great views of the Philly skyline and that development would have done gangbusters, but the poor aren't giving up their dilapidated housing.They offered to buy everyone out at above market value. Not interested.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:30 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,937,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I'm guessing the poster meant Birmingham, Alabama becoming destituTe.
You sure? 'Cause it could be Birmingham, Michigan.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:38 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,281,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You sure? 'Cause it could be Birmingham, Michigan.
No signs of destitution in Birmingham, Michigan as of yet.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I think that New Orleans is the most likely. It has still not recovered completely and may never do so. Even if the city recovers, the combination of rising sea level, subsidence, continental plate sliding towards the gulf, and powerful storms could still doom it to be lost to the sea.

Also I believe that New York City is still in danger. If terrorist ever get their hands on something really nasty they would most likely use it to attack NYC. A dirty bomb in Manhattan could set off an exodus out of the area and cause the economy to free fall.

Thirdly the trend of middle class residents leaving Los Angeles while poor immigrants poor in, could leave it as a city of only the very rich and the very poor living side by side. This could lead to civil unrest and eventual economic collapse.
This is an excellent assessment.

Do you think weather, terrorists or the very rich/very poor scenario could play out in the total collapse of other cities, too, or is it just that these 3 are at the top of their respective reasons list? For example, is NY at the top of its list for its financial hub or because of the amount of people living there as opposed to a terrorist event in, for example, San Francisco where it might not have the same impact? If Miami was leveled due to a weather-related incident or deteriorated under the rich/poor scenario would it be as impactful as it happening (respectively) to New Orleans or Los Angeles?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 AM

1,505 posts, read 3,844,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is an excellent assessment.

Do you think weather, terrorists or the very rich/very poor scenario could play out in the total collapse of other cities, too, or is it just that these 3 are at the top of their respective reasons list? For example, is NY at the top of its list for its financial hub or because of the amount of people living there as opposed to a terrorist event in, for example, San Francisco where it might not have the same impact? If Miami was leveled due to a weather-related incident or deteriorated under the rich/poor scenario would it be as impactful as it happening (respectively) to New Orleans or Los Angeles?
Good questions Laura,

I do think that weather, terrorists, and rich/poor scenarios could play out in other cities as well, I just mentioned the ones that I feel are most likely to experience them.

Weather: While pretty much any city on the east coast or gulf coast could be devestated by a hurricane, New Orleans has the special problem of being below sea level and getting lower with each passing day. With rising sea levels, sudsidence, and continental movement towards the gulf, it will be very difficult to prevent future flooding. Also the Mississippi river valley has flault lines. So even though the area is not known for its siesmic activity it could have a major quake that could damage the levee system.

Terrorism: This could happen to any city, but I think that NYC and Washington D.C. would be the most likely targets. Of the two NYC seems to be the favorite of terrorist, probably for the reasons that you mentioned, it is a densly populated major financial hub.

Economic Disparity: This too could affect any city but I chose L.A. because that is where it is most visible already. California in general and L.A. in particular is a place of contrast. It is both the home of the rich and famous and a magnet for immigrants, many illegal, with nothing but the shirts on their backs. At the same time, the middle class is leaving because of expensive housing cost and a decreasing standard of living. L.A. also has a long history with race riots and gang activity. The changing demographics of the city will make these kind of flare ups even more dangerous than they were in the past. Someone on this board mentioned that L.A. cannot go any lower and therefore must improve. I disagree, you never really know where the bottom is and no matter how bad things get, they could always be worse.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:06 AM

500 posts, read 2,702,728 times
"I just wanted to see what cities face the threat of social decay in the 21st century (or at least no hope of recovery). Due to job relocation, social instability, weather, or just a declining population, I think these cities are almost invevitabily down for the count"

This is what the original poster asked. Now, do you REALLY think New York City is in danger due to any of the causes mentioned above? Do you REALLY think NYC has "no hope of recovery"?

Gimme a break, people. Somebody says New York is in danger because a bomb could be dropped and the people would escape and the economy would die and you think this in an "excellent assesment"?

It sounds like a worst-case-scenario apocalyptic prediction that could happen to every big city in the world, but not like an "excellent assesment".

Plus we've gone through a lot of crap and we've only grown and learned from it. So please don't kill us yet.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:45 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,078,632 times
[quote=rainrock;516962]Camden is only 10 sq. miles and 70,000 people. It could turn over within 5-10 years IF it were allowed to. What happens is that the poor get entrenched in a neighborhood, in a city, once they get power that area never gentrifies. The poor people have control of Camden, they are not giving it up.
Camden could gentrify. But it won't.

Camden is directly across the river from Center City Philadelphia. One of the most dynamic, vibrant downtowns in this country. Developers have tried gentrifying Camden, tried getting a foothold to a brighter future but the city council of Camden who were born from the ghettoes don't want any parts of it. They don't want to price themselves or their people out of a home. Thats the same problem that the inner city of Philadelphia has. U Penn, Drexel U, Temple and private developers would love to expand and improve, Can't do it. The people won't allow it.

[quote]

Sorry I'm a little late but thanks for your points here and further on about Camden. The city definitely has potential as seen by its success along with waterfront. From what you shared, it seems as if the city council, in an effort to assure their constituents a place to live, are shooting themselves and the city in the foot.

Of course, I'm also glad to see another fellow Philadelphian come to the city's defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or