U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does your pride come first? For your city, or your state?
City 40 59.70%
State 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,773,160 times

Advertisements

Saint Paul is in Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,757,605 times
I'm sort of like CarolinaBredChicagoan. I am a Philadelphian, having lived here many years, but for some odd reason I can never think of myself as a Pennsylvanian. My first allegiance is to West Virginia. And I am going to make sure that if I croak here my carcass will be carted back to WV.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,038,728 times
People in Colorado tend to describe themselves more as living in the mountains,or on the Front Range, or the Western Slope..Secondary, people refer to themselves as Coloradoan's..Claiming a particular city seems to fall in the last category..At least that has been my personal observation. In Denver however people tend to identify themselves as city people or suburbanites.. I personally think of myself as a Coloradoan..I think Westerner's, especially Coloradoan's tend to travel more freely and often within their own state/ region than other parts of the country..The largest factor being more recreational.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM

66 posts, read 239,017 times
Definitely city. I'm a New Yorker first and foremost (as in city). I've barely been upstate. Because the city is at the very southern tip of the state, New Jersey has been more of a state home to me than upstate New York, though I do think it is a beautiful state.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM

11,200 posts, read 22,470,063 times
1) Chicago
2) Iowa
3) Illinois

I felt stupid in Boston, my mom was talking with people and said "oh, we're from Iowa and our son lives in Illinois". Without thinking I looked up and said "I don't live in Illinois, I live in Chicago..". They just stared.

I've always loved Chicago and my home-state. Illinois to me is just a byproduct of living in Chicago. Not trying to dis it or anything, it just isn't important to my life personally as far as being an "Illinoisian".

Last edited by Chicago60614; 04-09-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 01:25 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,008,277 times
I am a New Yorker, even though my address temporarily says Florida. I have no affection for this state at all.

I was born, raised, and spent the first 38 years of my life in NYC. I spent the next 20 years of my life on Long Island. I have lived, used the term losely, in Florida for the past 2 years.

I think I will go with the State of New York. That is where my heart is.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,103,474 times
I'm a Texan, so...

I think all native Texans view their allegiances thus:
1. Texas
2. Alma Mater university (if in state (and if attended - otherwise they just pick one out of a hat (as long as it's UT or TAMU)))
3. America
4. City of football team they support
5. City they live in

If they say otherwise, they lie.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 PM

305 posts, read 365,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I'm a Texan, so...

I think all native Texans view their allegiances thus:
1. Texas
2. Alma Mater university (if in state (and if attended - otherwise they just pick one out of a hat (as long as it's UT or TAMU)))
3. America
4. City of football team they support
5. City they live in

If they say otherwise, they lie.
For me it is kind of interesting. Since our sports teams are all the "Minnesota Vikings," or the "Minnesota Twins," I think about the state as a whole a lot than I would otherwise. Or at least hear the name. But the few times I had to drive a considerable distance from the Metro Area I hate it. Up north Minnesota is pretty cool, but I feel like I'm from a different state from the people who live there. They are the only ones with a true Minnesotan accent. There a lot nicer too. And I don't hear of Duluth very much in the daily news.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:22 PM

305 posts, read 365,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Saint Paul is in Wisconsin.
Haha, no doubt. Saint Paul is pretty cool though. I like small town folk.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM

34 posts, read 124,625 times
I identify with my state as a whole rather than a specfic location within it. I've lived in 3 different bland, suburbs of New Jersey, none of which have much character or anything to do so I don't care for those places at all. However, I have great memories of going down the Jersey shore in the summer, catching crabs, eating water ice, playing at the park, eating authentic Italian and Chinese food, etc. so I feel more connected to the state then the towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or