U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,803,182 times

Advertisements

There are many ignorant perceptions and stereotypes that flood Buffalo's image. The Queen City has a huge past and a huge future. I normally would rant on about what Buffalo really is and what it was and will be. However, I would like to hear your reasoning... Well? What are your thoughts, America?

Please share your perceptions on this underrated American City!

And yes, I read the General US Forum thread rules in the past, and realize that threads shouldn't be created for just one specific city or state, but I feel it critical to hear this from a national audience, not the normal Western New Yorkers, or the state for that matter.

Last edited by Buffalonian4life; 04-08-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,087,125 times
Good restaurants. People are pretty friendly and nice compared to many areas of the state of NY. Low cost of living but high taxes. Close to Ontario for trips to Toronto and rural areas of the Province. Pretty good radio in that you still have a fair amount of live and local fare compared to most Top 50 markets. The downside is the corruption in the government. That is killing any chance at a real comeback.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,042 times
My father is from Buffalo (he is 73) and enjoyed growing up there. He is actually going to take me there for the first time this summer and show me what it was like and where he grew up. He heads back once or twice a year as he still has some friends and family (cousins, aunts, etc..) there. He has so many memories there, both good, bad, and difficult. His dad died when he was 15 and they became really poor and his mom moved them here to Southern California because she found a job. I think Buffalo looks nice. Its had its rough moments like any city and being native Californian I'd probably freeze there, but it looks nice.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Thank you for your replies, it is of high interest to me, an insider, seeing what others view from an outside perspective. Thanks again for your input, it is much appreciated.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
My father is from Buffalo (he is 73) and enjoyed growing up there. He is actually going to take me there for the first time this summer and show me what it was like and where he grew up. He heads back once or twice a year as he still has some friends and family (cousins, aunts, etc..) there. He has so many memories there, both good, bad, and difficult. His dad died when he was 15 and they became really poor and his mom moved them here to Southern California because she found a job. I think Buffalo looks nice. Its had its rough moments like any city and being native Californian I'd probably freeze there, but it looks nice.
Ha, "freeze there"... I love it! lol.

Buffalo is really nice in the summer.. comfortable, sunniest city in the Northeast, highs in the 80's...

Winter isn't too bad because of all the winter events and outdoor ice rinks downtown and on the water. Ice Hockey on Lake Erie in front of the Buffalo Skyline is becoming very popular during the winter months! Come up and try it!

I enjoyed reading your story, it touched my heart. Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy your visit to Buffalo too!!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Good restaurants. People are pretty friendly and nice compared to many areas of the state of NY. Low cost of living but high taxes. Close to Ontario for trips to Toronto and rural areas of the Province. Pretty good radio in that you still have a fair amount of live and local fare compared to most Top 50 markets. The downside is the corruption in the government. That is killing any chance at a real comeback.
So true about the government. You are absolutely right about it killing Buffalo's comeback... yet it seems that even through the corrupt factor of the government, the city's residents and others are coming together and trying to get some things going albeit those who are in power.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM

129 posts, read 428,413 times
I've been to Buffalo a lot.

To me not a lot to do downtown. Besides Chippewa Street LOL.

The suburban area's are very nice though. Such as Williamsville, Orchard Park, ETC.

Overall I like Buffalo. Love the sports teams. It's an under-rated city IMO.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 PM

784 posts, read 2,050,059 times
I think you already know I used to live there Buffalonian4life. Lived on Howell, Fargo, Parkdale, and Bush. I couldn't seem to get enough of the west side..Lol..I lived there for several years, and I can tell you that Buffalo is a strong community city with great people. People look out for one another there. I always lived on the west side, which can be a pretty ruff area, but when you live there, people don't bother you. I love and miss the food as well, although I heard some places (cough/ like mighty taco has gotten crappy). The good food deals. I used to go to Vizzi's on Kenmore for their good burgers. I used to go to La Nova for pizza, sometimes one of the other Pizza joints on Elmwood like Bocci's. There used to be a place years ago in Tonawanda, I can't think of the name. Not there anymore. I miss the Elmwood strip. Great street. I miss my drives along the lake. I miss my walks in Delaware park. I miss my going out to Lackawanna. I miss my monthly gambling trips to Niagara Falls. I actually miss the winters there. Many people avoid areas with alot of snow, but Buffalo is a beautiful city in the snow. I used to like to drive down Elmwood early in the morning when the Buffalo News trucks were delivering the paper and that area looked like a snow village. Very pretty. At that time in the morning it looked like some village you would find in Maine. I can't help but think about Buffalo all the time still. I just can't quite shake it. Hell, I was still living there less than a year ago. I haven't even been gone for a year yet. I miss some of the women I dated there, and almost all of my friends. Buffalo people are as real as your going to get. The friends you make in that city will last a lifetime if you let them. I guess I miss about everything in Buffalo, believe it or not. I miss when they used to have the evening edition of the Buffalo News. That sucks that they don't have it anymore. Sometimes I get a real strong inclination to move back, but I know that the job opportunities unfortunately are not there. If their job market was better, I would be there tomorrow. I miss alot of my friends from there. Many of whom I still talk too. The people in Buffalo are really caring and outgoing. Not a stuck up bone in the people who live in that city. I miss Pano's too. Great AFFORDABLE restaurant. I like that they are starting to build some nice things downtown. That new courthouse will look nice and I hope they finish the harbor area. I know it was coming along good when I left in October. I don't know, who knows, I might be back there again for another run before I take my final nap....

Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
Is it really true that Buffalo's skyline hasn't changed in 40 years?

Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 AM

365 posts, read 1,054,045 times
Default Northern Neighbour Perspective

I like Buffalo. It's severely under-rated for a city of its size. I travel there a few time a year and never had a bad experience. Plus you guys seem to 'get' Canada, which is appreciated.
I'd like to see a Buffalo resurgence. Hope the Bills stay there too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.