U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 AM

30,178 posts, read 67,314,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Google Earth nor any of the others suggested show my area clearly
Agreed. NEPA is the "black hole" of satellite imagery, and it's just not fair when nearby rural areas of NJ and NY are crystal clear and in color! What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 AM

1,393 posts, read 7,059,456 times
I know this might be hard to fathom for a diehard Scranton fan but it just might be that there's much more demand for updated info on the NJ,NY areas.
That imaging etc doesn't just appear at no expense to anyone. I hinted at that reasoning in my first post. Clearly I was way too subtle . Not trying to be a smart a$$ but at some level it's an economic/bussiness choice. Fairness is not a factor.

Last edited by JBrown; 04-02-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I know this might be hard to fathom for a diehard Scranton fan but it just might be that there's much more demand for updated info on the NJ,NY areas.
That imaging etc doesn't just appear at no expense to anyone. I hinted at that reasoning in my first post. Clearly I was way too subtle . Not trying to be a smart a$$ but at some level it's an economic/bussiness choice. Fairness is not a factor.
We're not talking about the Greater NYC Metropolitan Area here though. We're talking about Binghamton, NY and Sussex County, NJ, both of which border our area, and neither of which has nearly the population density or economic force that we do. I just still don't understand this. In contrast, Binghamton's metropolitan area is roughly a third the size of ours, and Sussex County, NJ is largely rural. What's the economic reasoning behind showing us clarity of trees in rural NW NJ and Broome County, NY when you can't even distinguish individual neighborhoods using satellite imagery in an area of 750,000 people nearby in PA?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:43 PM

I don't work for any of the mapping services so I can't really speak to their bussiness model with any real knowledge. I'm assuming you can't either. I have used and had to PAY for detailed recon stuff for some engineering jobs in the past. I assure you they dont' haphazardly go about doing expensive aerial photography. I used to live in Sussex so I know what it's like there. It's slowly becomming a very desirable place to live for those wishing to get away from NYC metro area.. Wether that explains it all I don't know. I don't think the same can be said for Scranton but that's just my guess.

Again, it's Not about you, what you wish for, or an insult,intended or not to dear old Scranton. You'll better understand bussiness things like this if you try to invision them without you and Scranton at the center of it all.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Again, it's Not about you, what you wish for, or an insult,intended or not to dear old Scranton. You'll better understand bussiness things like this if you try to invision them without you and Scranton at the center of it all.
You come off as just a tad condascending, don't you think? When did I claim that either Scranton or myself were the center of business? I'm well aware of our region's horrific reputation to the rest of the nation; nearly my entire extended family has relocated to NY/NJ and can attest that NEPA is a "laughing-stock" in those areas. The tainted image of the region still should have absolutely no bearing in the decision of satellite mapping companies to neglect the city. The clearest overview of my neighborhood that I could find was a black-and-white photo taken at least ten years ago (My neighbor's home was built in 1998, my best friend's house was built in 1997, and the ground wasn't even being cleared yet in the images of either neighborhood).

Nevertheless, when did it become a crime to have civic pride in your area, especially when very few others seem to? It would be nice to see so many on this forum finding something pleasant, nice, and cheery to say about their hometowns as well; instead, I read a LOT of negativity on this forum. There's been a tremendous amount of pettiness, bickering, name-calling, etc. occurring on here as of late, and I think it may just be time for the administrator to call a "Time Out" to remind everyone of the proper methods of conduct on this forum. I myself had some rather rude names hurled at me in another thread yesterday, and I wasn't pleased by it at all.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion that I view myself as being the center of the corporate world, but I'm inclined to disagree. On the contrary, I know that NYC (not Scranton) is the regional employment hub, which is why so many in Scranton are now commuting back-and-forth daily to Manhattan to work (likely including myself in the upcoming years). Just because our area lacks economic vitality shouldn't make it any less viable in the eyes of a satellite imaging company.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Your last sentence confirms exactly what I've said.

" Just because our area lacks economic vitality shouldn't make it any less viable in the eyes of a satellite imaging company "

That is exactly WRONG WRONG WRONG....backwards if you will.

I'll repeat...the bussiness economics drives it. Ponder this....imagine that the EPA declares the whole north side a eco disaster (I have NO idea what's there, I just picked that as an example) When that,or something like that, happens, or it coud be a revitalization project,lots of design,engineering, infrastructure etc etc firms will be requesting detailed data for planning etc. When that happens the mapping folks will step up with their updated high detail products. The high price version of which I've had to pay for.

The freebie images that they provide are a byproduct of something else. They're not flying around photographing areas just too be nice guys.

Not trying to be condascending but you're just not thinking it thru.

Last edited by JBrown; 04-02-2007 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 04:47 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,784,003 times
Quote:
My in-laws live on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere in S.C., surrounded by poor people, some of them living in shacks. There is nothing around for miles, more dirt roads, more shacks, a trailer or 2, and maybe a nice house surrounded by 10 acres. I haven't been to visit my in-laws in 10 years but I can see the fruit trees they planted 10 years ago have grown, they have built a porch on their house and they still share a driveway with the next door neighbor.
So that pretty much blows your expanation right out the window.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:15 PM

You really need to go back and reread what I've said. you didn't understand it.

I'll rephrase again......it's NOT the value or economics of the area I'm talking about. It's what may be on the planning or drawing boards. The fact that you don't know of any big plans for your inlaws area is of NO meaning. I too am aware of areas that have been updated for no reason known to me as well as other areas that have changed recently and yet the photo data hasn't been updated. The point is it's a bussiness and gov decision and they don't ask me or YOU.

Why is that so hard to understand ??

Old 04-02-2007, 05:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,337 times
Working with aerial photos is a primary function of my day-to-day job, and I used to work for one of the aerial photo contractors that Google buys these photos from. I can tell you that the photos used were not originally flown for the purpose of Google maps - they are all leftovers, pieced together from other sources.

There are a million reasons why a place may or may not have high-quality images, and I can't give you a reason why Scranton doesn't specifically have them. It could be related to the mountainous terrain of the area, or it could be because of the low growth. It's not a transportation hub, and there is very little in the way of water resources. Although the area is large enough that it probably should have images available, I really can't think of any large industries in that area that would get much use out of aerial photos. Logging, maybe?

I can tell you that remote areas of Louisiana and gulf coast Mississippi have very extensive aerial photos due because of Hurricane Katrina, and the huge impact it had on the terrain of that area. All the cities out west have great imagery, because of how quickly they are expanding. Certain states & metros put a high priority on environmental impact studies (like Florida and Oregon), perhaps Scranton is backwards in this sense?

One way or the other, it's definitely not worth complaining about. The service was provided for free. So, I guess a better question would be, "Why would Scranton have good aerial photos?"

Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,784,003 times
I re-read your posts...I"m sorry I misunderstood your point.
Now that I get it, it's not hard to understand, it's just a little hard to get your point, that is speaking for me only of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or