U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,560 times

Advertisements

I have a small family and for us, functional sidewalks are a necessity. When I say functional sidewalks, I mean sidewalks that lead from a residential area to places like the post office or a grocery store. Sidewalks where, if you don’t live “downtown” you can still walk to “downtown,” even if that means that you will have to walk four miles! Sidewalks which are pleasantly noisy, but not flanked by 4 or 6 lane streets and nasty cross walks. Sidewalks whose streets contain drivers who respect speed and pedestrian zones. Sidewalks that can lead my mother, a non driver, to shops, stores and other events, so she needn’t feel alienated by the lack of a car, but self-reliant. Sidewalks that my children can skip upon to visit their neighborhood friends. Sidewalks that have pleasant views, are located in both the safer neighborhoods and less safe neighborhoods. And --sidewalks which are maintained as well as the roads.

We would like to know if there are cities or towns out there that still focus upon the person, the pedestrian, and not the auto. We would like to find a city or a town that has pedestrians who feel similarly because for us, walking is a way of life.

I ask you kind readers to share your thoughts and help us find our new home.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times
My grandparents never had a car and my grandmother walked dowtown every day. She lived to be 98. Our entire city has sidewalks. Seems like a funny question.

We also have no unsafe neighborhoods, but sometimes walks might get clogged with snow and then you have to walk in the road for a couple of days. There's still one grocery store downtown as well as other stores, hospital, etc. The neighborhood food stores that use to be every couple of blocks have now gone by the wayside. There's a bus that runs out to the box stores on the edge of town and there's a call-a-ride bus for seniors.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,360,355 times
Older cities generally are higher density and tend to have more street life and a plethora of sidewalks. These are chiefly found in the urban Northeast and Midwest although there are a handful of exceptions (most notably San Francisco). Newer development, particularly those in the fast-growing Sunbelt, tends to be geared more towards the automobile. My advice would be to stick to the cities or their close-in inner suburbs, many of which were former streetcar suburbs and whose boundaries left no room for expansion, so the towns have oftentimes preserved much of their layout (i.e. no room to create massive strip malls and office parks). This is the case in many of the close-in suburbs in of New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago among other cities.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:53 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,675,346 times
The Hyde Park area of Tampa is beautiful. There are shops, restaurants, concerts & Gasparilla! The world's longest continuous sidewalk runs along Bayshore Blvd.

Here are some websites:

www.floridahistory.org/westcoastfla/hydepark.htm (broken link)
www.hydeparkvillage.net

Good Luck with your search!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Naperville, IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or