U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,952,651 times

Advertisements

It's hard when you live somewhere other than where you were born, trying to figure out where you are "from". I'm originally from San Diego, but have since lived in Missouri, Georgia and now Virginia. When people here ask me where I am from, I don't feel like I am really from Georgia as I wasn't born there, and only spent a few years there.
I think they are asking you only because of your accent and want to know where you are originally from. I would probably say "I'm from NY but born in Puerto Rico" but then I always feel like I have to give out too much information,lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 PM

34 posts, read 124,335 times
You're a Nuyorican. Also if you have lived in NY longer than PR than it's safe to say your from NY. The people who tell you your not from NY because your Hispanic are stupid because Hispanics make up a large part of NYC and have for a while.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,378,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hello,

Hi everyone, My name is Armando. I'm 22 yrs old. I have never had a problem telling people where I was from in NYC because there is a big population of Puerto Ricans in NYC. However,when I go to the south or to any state of the US that there is not a big population of Ricans, I always get asked. Where I am from? I always tell them I'm from New York. They always say I am from New York just because I have a Spanish accent when I talk English. Just because of that they tell me that I am not from New York, that gets me so vexed. I was born in Puerto Rico, but moved to the Bronx when I was 6 years old. I have lived in the bronx Since then until 2008. I have been trying to work on my accent, because I am so tired of people saying that I am not from New York. The funny thing is, when I go to Puerto Rico they say I am not from Puerto Rico, because I do not dress like them or talk like them. So what am I?

So I need help in answering this question Am I a nuyorican? or a puerto rican? Am I from New york or from Puerto Rico?
NYRPapi: There is no need to justify to anyone where you are coming from. Just tell them you are a New Yorker, and leave it at that. Make them guess.

And never, never, feel ashamed of your accent. That is your identity, as a person. In reality, you are a Nuyorkrican, since you can identify with both places, but many people would not know what do you mean.

Do you know that SOME PEOPLE would not even know where Puerto Rico is located in the map? Some may even think it is a CONTINENT. So, do not worry so much, and keep your beautiful accent.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:25 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,887,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
NYRPapi: There is no need to justify to anyone where you are coming from. Just tell them you are a New Yorker, and leave it at that. Make them guess.

And never, never, feel ashamed of your accent. That is your identity, as a person. In reality, you are a Nuyorkrican, since you can identify with both places, but many people would not know what do you mean.

Do you know that SOME PEOPLE would not even know where Puerto Rico is located in the map? Some may even think it is a CONTINENT. So, do not worry so much, and keep your beautiful accent.
And some people probably aren't even aware that Puerto Rico is A PART of the United States.

You're from New York because you say so. Nobody else can tell you where you're from.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Nuyorican. I have students I teach in the south Bronx who are exactly what you describe. But what's strange is that they don't really have a spanish sounding accent. You're from NY and PR, so that's why I think Nuyorican describes you best. There's also a True Life episode on MTV about Nuyoricans, who are just like how you describe. It's worth checking out.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 PM

34,687 posts, read 33,690,741 times
Quote:
Hello,

Hi everyone, My name is Armando. I'm 22 yrs old. I have never had a problem telling people where I was from in NYC because there is a big population of Puerto Ricans in NYC. However,when I go to the south or to any state of the US that there is not a big population of Ricans, I always get asked. Where I am from? I always tell them I'm from New York. They always say I am from New York just because I have a Spanish accent when I talk English. Just because of that they tell me that I am not from New York, that gets me so vexed. I was born in Puerto Rico, but moved to the Bronx when I was 6 years old. I have lived in the bronx Since then until 2008. I have been trying to work on my accent, because I am so tired of people saying that I am not from New York. The funny thing is, when I go to Puerto Rico they say I am not from Puerto Rico, because I do not dress like them or talk like them. So what am I?

So I need help in answering this question Am I a nuyorican? or a puerto rican? Am I from New york or from Puerto Rico?
You are not alone. I was born in the Bronx. Lived 44 years in NY State (mostly Long Island). Then, lived in Maryland for 12 years. Moved to Tennessee two years ago. The first week I was here in Tennessee, a man was set up at the supermarket to get subscribers for the local newspaper. He asked me, "Where are you from?" and I didn't know how to answer. Did he mean where was I born? Did he mean where did I grow up? Did he mean where did I live before I moved here? Thinking he keyed into the accent, I went into this spiel about being originally from NY, then lived in Maryland for 12 years, then retired and moved to Tennessee and he goes, "No, I meant which town do you live in now? Where did you come from today?" Jeez. "Where are you from?" is not an easy question.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,202,596 times
so then ur obviously from mexico.

why dont you grow up and stop f-ing with innocent people

Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 AM

136 posts, read 237,559 times
You are what you want to be.

That was a serious answer. You define who you are.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,907,751 times
Quote:
Nuyorican and you are not alone. AFAIK there are more Puertoricans in New York Metro than on the island itself.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,970,555 times
I grew up in NYC back in the 50s. I had a lot of friends growing up who were from Puertro Rico. They also grew up speaking Spanglish, if you know what I mean. When they all went back to Puerto Rico to see their family, they couldn't understand what anybody there was saying, and visa versa. The same thing happened to my daughter's childhood friend from Puerto Rico who grew up on LI. To her relatives in PR, she was an American and a New Yorker.

You are a New Yorker of Hispanic birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.