Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Hi everyone, My name is Armando. I'm 22 yrs old. I have never had a problem telling people where I was from in NYC because there is a big population of Puerto Ricans in NYC. However,when I go to the south or to any state of the US that there is not a big population of Ricans, I always get asked. Where I am from? I always tell them I'm from New York. They always say I am from New York just because I have a Spanish accent when I talk English. Just because of that they tell me that I am not from New York, that gets me so vexed. I was born in Puerto Rico, but moved to the Bronx when I was 6 years old. I have lived in the bronx Since then until 2008. I have been trying to work on my accent, because I am so tired of people saying that I am not from New York. The funny thing is, when I go to Puerto Rico they say I am not from Puerto Rico, because I do not dress like them or talk like them. So what am I?

So I need help in answering this question Am I a nuyorican? or a puerto rican? Am I from New york or from Puerto Rico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hello,

Hi everyone, My name is Armando. I'm 22 yrs old. I have never had a problem telling people where I was from in NYC because there is a big population of Puerto Ricans in NYC. However,when I go to the south or to any state of the US that there is not a big population of Ricans, I always get asked. Where I am from? I always tell them I'm from New York. They always say I am from New York just because I have a Spanish accent when I talk English. Just because of that they tell me that I am not from New York, that gets me so vexed. I was born in Puerto Rico, but moved to the Bronx when I was 6 years old. I have lived in the bronx Since then until 2008. I have been trying to work on my accent, because I am so tired of people saying that I am not from New York. The funny thing is, when I go to Puerto Rico they say I am not from Puerto Rico, because I do not dress like them or talk like them. So what am I?

So I need help in answering this question Am I a nuyorican? or a puerto rican? Am I from New york or from Puerto Rico?
If you say you're from New York, then you're from New York. I wouldn't worry about what other people say.

But one thing that you might want to remember about the South (and this is true of other places, too, such as my mother's native France). It's where you were BORN that identifies where you're from. Let's say you were born in Dalton GA but your family moved to Atlanta when you were 4 months old. For the rest of your life when people ask you where you're from, you'll say something like "well I was born in Dalton but raised in Atlanta."

So even though you were only 6 years old when you left Puerto Rico for New York, many Southerners still consider your place of birth to be your true hometown. I really don't think anyone is trying to be rude or ignorant. Just wink and remind them that America is full of a bunch of different accents, particularly in New York City's beautiful immigrant communities.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
As a general rule you should ignore most things people from the South say/do...you will be much happier that way. You know where you are from, and you don't need to prove it or justify it, nor do you have to fit into anyone's stereotypes or preconceived notions of what a person from anywhere should be/act/sound like.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
JMT has excellent points. It sounds like for you the issue is heightened because of the accent thing, but it's an issue for many of us who were born one place and now live another; I was born and raised in one place but then moved elsewhere, and when traveling I'd just say "I'm originally from ... but now live in ...." I think your best bet is to offer the "born in... raised in..." answer that JMT suggests. It cuts through the confusion of whether the person you're talking to considers "from" to mean "born in," "raised in," or "lives in now." As for your own personal identity, you get to decide that yourself. If you live in NYC and consider yourself a New Yorker, then yes, you're from New York.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As a general rule you should ignore most things people from the South say/do...you will be much happier that way.
What is this supposed to mean? Honestly, some of the worst ignorance I have seen is right here in NYC, and I was born and raised in the South (South Florida, which many people say isn't "Southern," but it's nonetheless the South).

OP: Tell people that you were born in Puerto Rico, but were raised in NYC. There's no need to just name one place. I have lived in several places and all of them have contributed to the person I am today. It sounds like that may be the case for you as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
As a general rule you should ignore most things people from the South say/do...you will be much happier that way. You know where you are from, and you don't need to prove it or justify it, nor do you have to fit into anyone's stereotypes or preconceived notions of what a person from anywhere should be/act/sound like.
LOL.

Good one!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Crispy...clearly I am not telling the poster to dismiss the 150 million people who live in the South (or whatever number it is), it is sarcasm. Ignorance is everywhere, there is plenty to go around, and its contagious! There is not a place where I have not encountered racism, ignorance, and the like, and that includes my own home. So relax and smile..it was sarcasm.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
OP, I wouldn't pay much mind to what these people are saying about you. Who are they to say where your from? They are obviously very ignorant.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
[quote=SobroGuy;8263945]As a general rule you should ignore most things people from the South say/do...you will be much happier that way.

I'm seriously with you on that

Old 04-09-2009, 03:04 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Yes, next time there's a Mack Truck barreling down the road at sixty MPH and one of us tells you not to step into the road, by all means ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.